Honda 919 Fork fluid. - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 09-17-2016, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Honda 919 Fork fluid.

So I have my stock (03) forks disassembled so I can powder coat the sliders, stem, clamp ect.

I've got more fork seals, dust covers, bushings ect here at the house but I never did order the fork fluid.

My Honda service manual calls for Pro Honda Suspension fluid SS-8 10W

Easy enough, but online it seems to be red in color like tranny fluid in a car and the fluid I poured out was closer to hydraulic fluid in color.

Could the previous owner have changed brands or weight of fluid? Mine definitely wasn't red.

Am I good to go with my manuals recommendation? I don't really want to mod springs and valves, I'm a casual rider. I weight about 150# without gear, if that matters.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-17-2016, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Just noticed I put this in Street Bikes and not Naked Bikes, if a mod could move it for me that'd be great!

post #3 of 9 Old 09-18-2016, 05:47 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Moved it to Mechanical and Technical.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-20-2016, 06:53 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymachinist View Post
My Honda service manual calls for Pro Honda Suspension fluid SS-8 10W

Easy enough, but online it seems to be red in color like tranny fluid in a car and the fluid I poured out was closer to hydraulic fluid in color.

Could the previous owner have changed brands or weight of fluid? Mine definitely wasn't red.

Am I good to go with my manuals recommendation? I don't really want to mod springs and valves, I'm a casual rider. I weight about 150# without gear, if that matters.
One would hope that an 03 would have had its fork fluid changed over time.
A fluid change could have been from a long list of "others" as compared to bottled Honda fluid.
Bottled Honda fluid is fine and dandy for your needs, but you are not hostage to it.
Any good quality fluid will be fine.
Stick to the nominal 10W viscosity or a nominally equivalent ISO viscosity grade.

post #5 of 9 Old 09-29-2016, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Well all my parts came in. I replaced my seals and bushings yada yada yada. I poured in the required amount of fork fluid (463 ml) per my manual. Pumped the damper rod and fork tube per manual.

Buuuuut when I measure from the top of the fork tube to the fluid level I read 7-7/16". My manual says it should be 6.1" What am I missing? Typo in my book?

The forks both read 7-7/16" from the top. I am measuring with the assembly nice and level.

The only parts in the tube are the damper assembly...no spring, spring collar or seat...I thought about putting the other pieces in and measuring to the fluid height but that sounded messy.

Any insight would be great.

post #6 of 9 Old 09-29-2016, 12:32 PM
GLG-20

Garage
You are measuring correctly. I can't give insight as to why the measured amount didn't bring them to the right level, but you definitely need to add fluid. 6.1" would be the minimum, and others here would suggest bringing it up to 5.3" to improve the air spring effect.

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #7 of 9 Old 09-29-2016, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
You are measuring correctly. I can't give insight as to why the measured amount didn't bring them to the right level, but you definitely need to add fluid. 6.1" would be the minimum, and others here would suggest bringing it up to 5.3" to improve the air spring effect.
Wow that's going to be quite a bit more fluid, so the distance to fluid is more important than the fluid added?

post #8 of 9 Old 09-29-2016, 01:39 PM
GLG-20

Garage
Yes. I forgot to ask and assume you are, but are you measuring with the forks fully compressed?

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #9 of 9 Old 09-29-2016, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Yes, as far as I can tell. It feels pretty solid when it bottoms out.

I was going to look up my fork travel to verify I'm getting full stroke.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode