Help!!!!! I'm spraying fuel out of my exhaust! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 81 Old 04-10-2011, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Exclamation Help!!!!! I'm spraying fuel out of my exhaust!

I sold my bike (2002 919) to my best friend 2 1/2 years ago because I was having some hard times.....but today I bought it back. He told me the fuel pump had gone out and that he had not rode the bike for about 1 1/2 years. I replaced the plugs, battery, oil, filter and fuel pump today. I fired up the bike and it ran really rough so I filled the tank, added injector cleaner and thought I would let it idle for a while..... I experience A LOT of white smoke and seemed to go through the fuel really quick. I filled the tank back up and thought that it might help if I take it for a ride and blow it out a little bit. I ended up going through a full tank of gas in about 4 miles! I pushed my bike to the closest gas station and filled my tank back up. My bike is still really hard to start and I can feel the wet gas on my hand when I put it over the exhaust and i can see it spray behind the bike when I roll on the throttle.

I was so happy to have my bike back and now I'm wondering WTF I have gotten myself into! Hopefully someone can help me make some since of this. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 04-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

So a search here on the FPR. That is my bet. Sounds very bad. That would be the first thing I check. BTW, Welcome to wrist twisters!

Spoiler:

post #3 of 81 Old 04-11-2011, 02:10 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

A full tank in 4 miles? Is that possible? Were you spraying gas out the exaust?

post #4 of 81 Old 04-11-2011, 02:42 AM
Pilus Posterior

Don't leave that oil in the bike for long either - with that much fuel pouring into the bores it would have flowed past the rings.

White smoke is not fuel - that much fuel getting through the system I'd expect it to be black smoke - hell with that much fuel pouring out I'd expect the mufflers to be like flame throwers!

You sure the fuel is not pouring out the bottom of the tank somewhere?

post #5 of 81 Old 04-11-2011, 04:07 AM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
A full tank in 4 miles? Is that possible? Were you spraying gas out the exaust?
i dunt think ive ever heard of a bike spraying out gas from the exhaust. Hope you find the problem mate. Btw there has to be a leak somewhere, but i guess youve already done an extensive look around the bike. Besides, you should be in a puddle of gas if theres a leak.

post #6 of 81 Old 04-11-2011, 06:42 AM
Princeps Prior

.....the cylinders still need the correct air/fuel mixture..... that much fuel through the cylinders and I can't imagine that the bike would be able to continue running.

+1, my guess is that the fuel is going somewhere else.

I have a test you can do....... hold a cirgarette up to your exhaust.

post #7 of 81 Old 04-11-2011, 08:43 AM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Does the white smoke from the exhaust have a sweet smell to it? If so then you're burning antifreez, if not and it is completely white you have water in your head probably due to a cracked head. If it is white with a blueish tinit you are burning oil. Pull a plug and see what color it looks like. Did your hand smell like gas after you brought it away from the exhaust?
Sound like your friend took it racing without any knowledge of WTF he was doing or how to set the bike up. Either way I think you are in line for an extensive repair job.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #8 of 81 Old 04-11-2011, 11:20 AM
The Cripple

first off.... guys... KISS!!!!! keep it simple!

go back and check your lines for the fuel pump. its possible maybe one didnt get attached correctly or the clamp is loose, etc.

check the fuel pump itself

check the FPR. report back

post #9 of 81 Old 04-11-2011, 03:20 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
first off.... guys... KISS!!!!! keep it simple!

PV means to say, go out and kiss your bike...show it some sweet sweet lovin! Lol...PV and his bike are close like that.

Hosing fuel out the exhaust like a giant douchenozzle (the bike, not you) would have bad effects on the air-fuel ratio...and i imagine it would backfire like a sumbitch if your cans didnt simply detonate. Obviously you have fuel going somewhere...but im guessing into the crankcase, or out onto the ground.

Keep it simple. Check your FPR, check your oil for water or fuel content. Check the plugs...

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #10 of 81 Old 04-11-2011, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I took it in today to a local shop that is open on mondays........ they said that my cylinders are full of fuel and that I will have to take it to a honda dealer to have it properly diagnosed.

Guess I will be at my local dealer bright and early tomorrow to get my bike into the shop.

post #11 of 81 Old 04-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Burn-em Upus Asphaltus

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I still say FPR.

Spoiler:

post #12 of 81 Old 04-11-2011, 05:50 PM
The Cripple

dont take it to the honda dealer!!!! you can do it yourself.

post #13 of 81 Old 04-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Optio

Take it back to your "best friend" and get your money back.

post #14 of 81 Old 04-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Milites Gregarius

I'm not a doctor but that doesn't sound good....

post #15 of 81 Old 04-11-2011, 07:14 PM
no max no more

cylinder wash down..i believe can blow white smoke...guess those power commanders work

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #16 of 81 Old 04-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Tirone shoelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickard919 View Post
I still say FPR.
Best bet, and its an easy-to-replace ~$60 part.

I bought mine from Cycle Parts Warehouse.
Cheap prices, though you'll wait longer for it to ship.

post #17 of 81 Old 04-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
dont take it to the honda dealer!!!! you can do it yourself.
I agree, do some diggin and save a ton of cash! It would sound as though you may not be HIS best friend.

Don't steal. The government hates competition.
post #18 of 81 Old 07-15-2011, 03:23 PM
doc
Clan McPhee

Me 2!

I have the same problem!!! I have a 2002 919 (original owner) this is a bike that I have never abused (when I parked it for the last time it was running fine with 2300 miles on it). I also let it sit for 1 1/2 years with gas in the tank (I know, I know). I tried to start it and the fuel pump was dead. I replaced the entire fuel pump assembly (this includes the fuel filter), the spark plugs, air filter, and battery. It started right up (yay!!!) then after running for a minute or less it became very rough (I had to throttle it to keep it from stalling). I noticed a fine mist coming out of the tail pipes and to my surprise it was gas. I have added gas with FI cleaner and ran it, but it goes through gas very fast as you can imagine. I tested the coils and all the plugs and they are fine, and now I am at a loss. I was hoping you could tell me if you ever found out what was wrong with your bike? Thanks!

post #19 of 81 Old 07-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

I'm not sure the FPR can flow that much fuel through that tiny vacuum line? I vote for stuck/leaking injectors, sitting that long is bad for injectors

Dan
post #20 of 81 Old 07-15-2011, 06:03 PM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

It sounds like horseshit stories of bullshit shenanigans to me.

The fucking bike isn't going anywhere without turning into a goddamn fireball or WWII flame thrower at anywhere near that rate of fuel consumption.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #21 of 81 Old 07-17-2011, 10:07 PM
doc
Clan McPhee

Bigdaa, wow you are super cool. I especially like your use of horse and bullshit in the same post. I hope you were drunk when you posted this; otherwise you are just an idiot….

post #22 of 81 Old 07-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Immune

Well something doesn't sound right here. If it's running out of fuel while idling in the driveway it's loosing fuel fast. There should have been a puddle on the ground somewhere or a fire. And ditto on going through a full tank in 4 miles. The gas has to go somewhere, and that much fuel isn't going to combust within the engine.

Now if the OP has a tendency to exaggerate, or be less than precise then it all makes sense (And don't worry OP, you'll fit in here just fine) Running like shit (or horseshit in this case) and using more fuel than normal, that we can work with. Making 5.5 gallons of fuel simply disappear in 4 miles is doubtful (without the use of magic).

post #23 of 81 Old 07-17-2011, 10:49 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocomomark View Post
Making 5.5 gallons of fuel simply disappear in 4 miles is doubtful (without the use of magic).
Or lots of right hand turns (left hand if you are over seas)

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #24 of 81 Old 07-18-2011, 01:28 AM
Dead Wrong

Garage
Never let a bike sit and wait for 2 years... At least ride it for 15 miles a week...All this trouble may have been avoided...

post #25 of 81 Old 07-19-2011, 08:28 AM
doc
Clan McPhee

@Beefsalad:There is gas dripping from the pipe area onto the ground but most of it is spraying out of the pipe. You would get wet standing behind them. The only reason I can think that the gas does not burn is because I don't let it run long enough to them to get that hot.
@Effe: I know, but I was off working on my Ph.D. (Lesson learned).

When I found this post I thought I caught a break, because dsights has the same bike with the same problem. It sounded like he was going to Honda to have it diagnosed, and I hoped he might let me know what was wrong, but I have not heard from him.....

post #26 of 81 Old 07-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Immune

Is the FPR driven by a vacuum provided by the throttle bodies? If so I would guess that the FPR is damaged and fuel is flowing straight through the FPR and into one cylinder. I wouldn't think the injectors could flow fuel that fast even if stuck wide open. Since the FPR has a bad reputation already I would replace it asap.

As stated earlier make sure you change your oil, and running the bike with that much fuel passing through it can damage the engine (so don't run it unnecessarily)

post #27 of 81 Old 07-19-2011, 08:49 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

If it IS clogged injectors, try putting in about a gallon of gas in the tank and 1/4 bottle of SeaFoam. It's pure petroleum, and will pretty much dissolve varnish and stuck carbon deposits anywhere.

Be prepared to think you just broke your bike, as it might smoke a bit. I wouldn't run the whole gallon through, just enough to clean the injectors and then fill up the tank the rest of the way and then burn through that tank.

Continue to add 4 or 5 capfuls to each tank for oh, 5 tank fills? That should clear things up!

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #28 of 81 Old 07-19-2011, 09:47 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Bigdaa, wow you are super cool. I especially like your use of horse and bullshit in the same post. I hope you were drunk when you posted this; otherwise you are just an idiot….

Oh,,,,,,I hurt your feeling.

What am I to do?

Should I tell you I believe the stupid .8 mpg gas consumption story?

I can't

Now, settle down!

Look for a damn broken high pressure side fuel pump line.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #29 of 81 Old 07-19-2011, 10:57 AM
doesn't speak for me

Quote:
@Beefsalad:There is gas dripping from the pipe area onto the ground but most of it is spraying out of the pipe. You would get wet standing behind them. The only reason I can think that the gas does not burn is because I don't let it run long enough to them to get that hot.
@Effe: I know, but I was off working on my Ph.D. (Lesson learned).

When I found this post I thought I caught a break, because dsights has the same bike with the same problem. It sounded like he was going to Honda to have it diagnosed, and I hoped he might let me know what was wrong, but I have not heard from him.....
Maybe dsights isn't coming back? send him a pm as it will probably go to his email and then maybe he'll let you know what the tech at the Honda dealer said.

That sucks that it happened while the bike was sitting, my 02 919 sat in a garage for 3 years full of fuel and was fine.....

The places my 919 has taken me:
post #30 of 81 Old 07-19-2011, 02:38 PM
doc
Clan McPhee

I sent him a pm, and it shows an opened message icon for the sent file, so I think he has read it (this was 2 days ago, so if he has not responded by now I don't think I will here from him)[email protected] you should stand behind my bike and light up a smoke....... I would not have thought it would be possible for it to even run like this, and yet it can....

post #31 of 81 Old 07-19-2011, 02:53 PM
yzarc mi os

I would be impossible for all the cylinders to run on that much fuel but for one to be swallowing all of it and the rest just way rich is a reasonable theory. The FPR from looking at it could possibly cause this. but if let run for long at all i would bet on serious damage to the one cylinder.

Common sense. So rare it's a god damn super power.
post #32 of 81 Old 07-19-2011, 03:07 PM
doc
Clan McPhee

FPR=fuel pressure regulator. It seems this is a notorious part on this bike. How can I check this part?

post #33 of 81 Old 07-19-2011, 03:11 PM
yzarc mi os

it sounds like you may be pulling fuel through the line going to it. pull the line and unplugg the coil and crank see if fuel comes out of it if so time to replace. make sure that nothing can set the fuel on fire. you may not even need to crank fuel may pour out. if this is the case it would be acting like a very large jet in a carb and i could see exuberant fuel consumption from it.

post #34 of 81 Old 07-19-2011, 03:14 PM
yzarc mi os

don't crank for very long as you would be flooding the motor

post #35 of 81 Old 07-19-2011, 03:19 PM
doc
Clan McPhee

Thanks, I will try that soon as I get home.

post #36 of 81 Old 07-19-2011, 07:04 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsights View Post
I sold my bike (2002 919) to my best friend 2 1/2 years ago because I was having some hard times.....but today I bought it back. He told me the fuel pump had gone out and that he had not rode the bike for about 1 1/2 years. I replaced the plugs, battery, oil, filter and fuel pump today. I fired up the bike and it ran really rough so I filled the tank, added injector cleaner and thought I would let it idle for a while..... I experience A LOT of white smoke and seemed to go through the fuel really quick. I filled the tank back up and thought that it might help if I take it for a ride and blow it out a little bit. I ended up going through a full tank of gas in about 4 miles! I pushed my bike to the closest gas station and filled my tank back up. My bike is still really hard to start and I can feel the wet gas on my hand when I put it over the exhaust and i can see it spray behind the bike when I roll on the throttle.

I was so happy to have my bike back and now I'm wondering WTF I have gotten myself into! Hopefully someone can help me make some since of this. Thank you!
Interesting.
The fuel pump pumps at a rate far greater than the engine needs, and the excess fuel is recirculated.
The fuel pump is rated for 1.536 litres per minute.
A full tank holds 19 litres.
The pump is a positive displacement type on constant voltage so has a fixed displacement rate.
The pump needs 12.37 minutes to move a full tank of gas.
How long did the 4 mile ride take ?
Aside from that, the whole matter has the whiff of gas to me.
IF anything was to be misting or fogging out of the exhaust, my first suspicion would be coolant, an indicator of a rather unwell engine.

post #37 of 81 Old 07-19-2011, 07:53 PM
doc
Clan McPhee

So there are 2 lines on the fpr. The main line from the tank and on the other side a smaller line that runs into a tee. When I disconected the smaller line fuel dripped out, and when I turned the key fuel shot out. So is the fpr shot?

@mcromo:its gas spraying out of the pipes. You can touch it, smell it, and it burns.

post #38 of 81 Old 07-19-2011, 08:20 PM
McTavish

Quote:
So there are 2 lines on the fpr. The main line from the tank and on the other side a smaller line that runs into a tee. When I disconected the smaller line fuel dripped out, and when I turned the key fuel shot out. So is the fpr shot?

@mcromo:its gas spraying out of the pipes. You can touch it, smell it, and it burns.
If the vacuum line from the # 2 & 3 throttle body vacuum taps to the FPR is letting gas pass, then that is the classic indicator of a failed FPR diaphramn.
And if you have experienced such a failure, ask yourself how much Ethanol is in the gas that the fuel system has been seeing for some years.

post #39 of 81 Old 07-20-2011, 02:16 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Change the FPR, it's shot.

post #40 of 81 Old 07-20-2011, 03:53 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

And DON"T run it any more until you change the oil & filter. That much gas flowing through will certainly wash down the cylinder walls and possibly dump some gas into the crankcase.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode