HELP! Fuel/ TPS/ igniter/ stalling issue - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Islandboy
  • 1 Post By Islandboy

post #1 of 11 Old 04-13-2018, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

HELP! Fuel/ TPS/ igniter/ stalling issue

Hi all! I’m seeking your help with a dreaded fuel issue. Let me start from the beginning...

This is the second 919 I’ve owned because I love them so much. I picked up this one (2002) with less than 10k miles in great condition for $1800. The kid I bought it from claimed to be a bike mechanic(doubtful) and jimmy rigged a different Throttle position sensor(TPS) on it. It ran fine if you were light on the throttle, but if I really tried to get after it, it would die and throw an F1 light. Well he included a used throttle body assembly and I took the right TPS off the extra throttle body and tuned it to perfection. It ran fine for a couple months prior to winter and I winterized the bike and put her in for the season.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. I got the bike out for the first time and it started running really rich. I rode it around for a couple hours and it acted like it did when the wrong TPS was on there. I checked the voltage on the TPS and it was within specs both open and closed. Then I was on the highway a couple days later and it wouldn’t rev higher than 4500rpm and bogged down whenever I tried to go faster. Long story short, I had to get my brother to pick me and the bike up on the side of the highway and now I’m working on a fix.

The bike starts after a few seconds of struttering and will idle like a champ, although it does smell super rich. If I slowly roll on the gas, it goes through the full RPM range. If I try to crank the throttle fast, it instantly dies.

Here’s what I’ve done:
Checked voltage on TPS - good
Replaced fuel pressure regulator - no change
Replaced spark plugs - old plugs looked relatively clean. No change
I’m in the process of getting the pump and filter out of the tank to change the fuel filter. If that doesn’t work, I’m kind of at a loss. Has anyone else experienced this issue and have experience? Could it be faulty igniters? Any other suggestions would be a huge help because I’m at a complete loss

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-13-2018, 11:43 AM
919 Rider

Check your fuel return line. Make sure it isn't blocked/kinked. Maybe check your vacuum hoses for a leak/crack. When you fitted your pressure regulator did you remove the rubber plug underneath it? Are your coils good? Do all the headers heat up evenly when you start your bike? Seems likely it could be tps related cause of your history. I did find some new/cheap aftermarket tps that work fine. Also seems strange things went bad after sitting.
Good luck.
mcromo44 likes this.

post #3 of 11 Old 04-13-2018, 12:02 PM
919 Rider

Also make sure your tank is venting properly. Maybe try running it with cap just open. I'll keep thinking on it.
mcromo44 likes this.

post #4 of 11 Old 04-14-2018, 02:13 AM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
I don’t suppose it also has an apparently wonky speedometer, does it?

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #5 of 11 Old 04-14-2018, 05:32 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

Have you checked the air filter? When buying used I'd start with the simple stuff first. If it's rich fuel doesn't seem to be an issue.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #6 of 11 Old 04-16-2018, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaJim View Post
Have you checked the air filter? When buying used I'd start with the simple stuff first. If it's rich fuel doesn't seem to be an issue.
Checked the air filter, lines and return. I also made sure the pressure regulator was installed properly. I ended up taking the pump/ Filter out. I just bought a new fuel filter ($58 &#x1f621 and I’m about to install it tomorrow. I’ll keep y’all posted on what I find out

post #7 of 11 Old 04-16-2018, 06:06 PM
919 Rider

Maybe cut your old filter open and see what crap it has filtered out.
It might be your filter but my bike had a very rusty tank when I got. It ran fine, bit rough down low, but It rev'ed out well. When I replaced both pump and filter I cut the old filter in half. It was practically blocked with a fine rust mud. Absolutely filthy, yet the bike still ran OK with that very dirty filter.
My point is, I doubt it will be the filter. I hope I'm wrong. Also why go bad just sitting?
Maybe it's the fuel pump. You can pick up a non OEM fuel pump very cheap, less than the filter you just brought. Maybe give one of them a go if the filter swap doesn't work.
Perhaps swap out the TPS again.
Definitely keep us posted, sux when people just drift away without giving a end result. Good luck man.

post #8 of 11 Old 04-25-2018, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Replaced the filter (it needed it bad) and it runs better, but not great. Determined that it was the “new” tps faulty as well. Anyone know where I can find one by itself? Finding a new condition tps for a 919 is like finding a needle in a haystack...

post #9 of 11 Old 04-25-2018, 10:29 AM
919 Rider

I brought three aftermarket TPS's for about $60 aud. Chinese. Fit and work perfect. I wanted a spare. One has been on my bike for about 6mths and has worked flawlessly. Most of that $60 was freight since the company wants to sell bulk. 5 TPS units was $75 aud. 10 units was $100. The freight was a kilo rate. I only wanted one but had no trouble getting rid of the other two.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170927_164754-1_1524676843388.jpg (182.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20170929_104534-1_1524677209759.jpg (116.0 KB, 5 views)

post #10 of 11 Old 04-25-2018, 10:32 AM
919 Rider

post #11 of 11 Old 05-12-2018, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Update: found a used throttle body off eBay for $100 and offered the guy $50. He took the deal! The TPS is the right one and works great. FINALLY have a good running bike. Now it’s time to start repainting the bike 😏

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode