Help - coolant issue - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 08-25-2015, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Help - coolant issue

Had some basic service done recently, rear pads and rotors, brake fluid and coolant flushed and replaced.

Bike seems like it has been running a bit hot lately. When I got back from a ride on Sunday I put the bike on the center stand and checked the level, and the reserve tank (left side with the markings) looked bone dry. Today I started adding coolant to the right side of the reserve tank, which is filled almost, but not quite, to the neck. The left side still appears bone dry.

Not being much of a mechanic and referring to the owner's manual, I start the bike in order to get the engine up to normal operating temperature (as per the manual). As the temperature gets close to the little notch on the temp gauge, coolant starts to drain out of the hose at the bottom of the right side, by the center stand. Nothing crazy, just a little bit before I shut the bike off. The left side of the reserve tank continues to appear dry the entire time, and still appears dry now.

Like I said, I'm not much of a mechanic, but WTF? It looks like the reserve tank is a one piece deal, so it really makes no sense to me how one side is full and the other seemingly empty. But even assuming there are actually two parts to the reserve tank, I can't figure out what is going on.

Open to any advice or ideas. Bike is an '04 919, bought last summer with ~22k mikes and it seemed to be in great condition. I have probably put 2k on it since then (very rainy summer in Denver). A few mechanics who have seen it since then all said it looks to be in great shape. Honda branded 50/50 coolant mix was used both for the flush and just now.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-25-2015, 07:25 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Make sure the cooling system is filled thru the radiator cap (under the tank) and not thru the reserve tank.

post #3 of 7 Old 08-25-2015, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for the quick response. Like I said, I'm not much of a mechanic and don't doubt what you are saying, but that seems completely opposite of what the manual says - from p. 97 - "Always add coolant to the reserve tank. Do not attempt to add coolant by removing the radiator cap."

Can you elaborate?

post #4 of 7 Old 08-25-2015, 07:42 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

I assume that you are referring to the owner's manual and I imagine they are referring to just topping off. You should check out the service manual. A snippet from page 6-5 is below. It states to fill through the filler neck and then to fill the reserve tank to the upper mark. You can fill through the reserve tank to your hearts content and I bet very little will ever make it into the system. because the reserve tank is below the filler neck which is where the reserve tank connects to the system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (84.3 KB, 11 views)

post #5 of 7 Old 08-25-2015, 07:45 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

You can download the service manual at the below link if you need one

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mokh7m2pgx...-converted.pdf

post #6 of 7 Old 08-26-2015, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks Mike. I still don't see how one side of the reserve can appear to be empty while the other side is full, but I will check the level at the radiator cap under the tank tonight. Service manual is great to have, thanks for the link.

post #7 of 7 Old 08-26-2015, 11:52 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennis View Post
Thanks Mike. I still don't see how one side of the reserve can appear to be empty while the other side is full, but I will check the level at the radiator cap under the tank tonight. Service manual is great to have, thanks for the link.
Yeah I will have to look and see if there is some sort of partition or maybe just the shape of the tank that could explain that. If the system is low on fluid, when the bike cools it will draw from the reserve tank. Maybe it draws from the right side.

Over the years a lot of folks have had cooling issues after removing and replacing the coolant and it usually is due to low level in the system. Hopefully that is your issue and not a water pump or something.

Best of luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode