Help-919 idle issue after Evap removed - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 10 Old 04-29-2015, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Help-919 idle issue after Evap removed

Ok, I need some help with my 919. I put on the new 900rr headers last night, cranked her up and ran fine. (just idled it).
This morning removed the evap canister per the directions I found on here.
Basically, remove the can, put the fuel drain line over with other drain lines and remove the tube to the PCV, then cap the PCV on the bottom.
Was going to ride over to muffler shop so they can make the adapter I need for the muffler.
Now she won't idle. I can pull the choke and get started, let run and warm up, but when I push the choke in she dies.
Should I unplug the wires to the PVC?
Is there something I am missing?
Any advice is appreciated. Bike ran great two days ago before I started this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-29-2015, 10:39 AM
The Cripple

Unplug the pcv.

post #3 of 10 Old 04-29-2015, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Ok. I have pulled the PCV (i think its the PVC, right there next to the choke)completely off and plugged the hose that was plugged into the top of the PCV. Adjusted the yellow "idle" knob about one turn and she seems to idle ok now.
Going to get the exhaust finished and see if that affects it.
Has anyone else had to make idle adjustments due to header change or pulling the evap?

post #4 of 10 Old 04-29-2015, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

OK. figured out the 2 outside cylinders are not firing. Maybe I knocked something loose taking canister out.
Or maybe coincidence.
Anybody know of any issues that would cause the outside cylinders to not fire? Like I said, ran great two days ago, even fired up fine last night.

post #5 of 10 Old 04-29-2015, 01:42 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeep714 View Post
OK. figured out the 2 outside cylinders are not firing. Maybe I knocked something loose taking canister out.
Or maybe coincidence.
Anybody know of any issues that would cause the outside cylinders to not fire? Like I said, ran great two days ago, even fired up fine last night.
If I remember correctly 1 and 4 run off the same coil, so you could have unhooked it or messed up it's ground or something

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #6 of 10 Old 04-29-2015, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks will look at that next. had to walk away from it for awhile.

post #7 of 10 Old 04-29-2015, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Gave up for today. Going to partially pull tank so I can get to wires, change plugs, check spark. Doubt it is the coil, only 7300 miles on the bike. Changing the headers and taking off the canister and PVC was careful and really not near anything that could cause cylinders 1 and 4 to stop firing.
Right now stumped, so any suggestions would be great.
(the 900RR header and delkevic 8" can look sweet, will post pics once I get other issue resolved)

post #8 of 10 Old 04-30-2015, 05:11 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeep714 View Post
Gave up for today. Going to partially pull tank so I can get to wires, change plugs, check spark. Doubt it is the coil, only 7300 miles on the bike. Changing the headers and taking off the canister and PVC was careful and really not near anything that could cause cylinders 1 and 4 to stop firing. Right now stumped, so any suggestions would be great. (the 900RR header and delkevic 8" can look sweet, will post pics once I get other issue resolved)
I agree that the coil is likely not bad, but it's very possible that a wire got pulled, or a connector unplugged or something simple like that.... Time and time again on this forum we see that with the 919 the KISS principle is always applicable (keep it simple stupid) and usually it's something easy to fix, especially if something has been worked on recently... Either way, good luck! Post up if you find out anything else!

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #9 of 10 Old 04-30-2015, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
I agree that the coil is likely not bad, but it's very possible that a wire got pulled, or a connector unplugged or something simple like that.... Time and time again on this forum we see that with the 919 the KISS principle is always applicable (keep it simple stupid) and usually it's something easy to fix, especially if something has been worked on recently... Either way, good luck! Post up if you find out anything else!
Thanks, can't get back to it till next week, so decided to research. Will probably pull tank so I can get to everything easy, check all connections, change plugs, do Pair removal while in there and see. Frustrating as I was not near any wiring. Probably some coincidence maybe.

post #10 of 10 Old 05-09-2015, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

All four cylinders firing now. Took off all the CA crap, that really cleaned up engine area. Changed the plugs while I had the tank up. Took the coil for cylinders 1/4 off to get to everything easier. Once I got it all back together fired up perfectly.
Will get some pics of the Delkevic system. Looks good and sounds sweet. Wish it wasn't raining/ snowing.
Thanks for the input guys. These bikes really are simple.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode