HELP!!!!! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 18 Old 11-10-2012, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
doc
Clan McPhee

HELP!!!!!

2002 919, original owner. All parts oem

Bike sat for a year with gas in the tank. After replacing the battery the bike's fuel pump failed. Replaced entire fuel pump assembly (including fuel filter). After which the bike started but had smoke and gas coming out of the exhaust pipes and gas in engine oil (did not drive it during this). Determined fuel pressure regulator had failed. Replaced the FPR, spark plugs, changed oil and filter twice. Bike ran better, but when rpms are low (and I am in a higher gear, as if you are trying to lug the engine) and you give full throttle (esp going up a incline) bike seems to be hesitating or misfiring just briefly. Tried fuel injector cleaner and driving it hard, no effect. I checked compression which was in spec. I replaced the fuel injectors, but problem remains. Took it to the dealer, $300 dollars later they found that the ecu had a grounding short to the air intake flapper. I replaced the ECU, to no avail. I didn't really drive it that much before or in that manner but I dont think this was present before (does anyone else experience this?) any thoughts would be greatly appriciated as I am at a loss.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Princeps Prior

any more info on what happened at the dealer? did you just have them hunt down the problem then you just replaced the ecu? What do you mean by flapper?

if that is the case it sounds like you just have a short somewhere in the wiring to this "flapper" or within the "flapper. do you mean the IAT sensor? (intake air temperature)

more info please

post #3 of 18 Old 11-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

So specifically what RPM and in what gear are you seeing the hesitation and misfire? Any evidence above 3000 RPM?
I never really have tried heavy throttle from a low RPM. I'll give it a try.
Does it idle smoothly? From what i understand throttle body synchronizing could affect low speed smoothness.
All OEM parts - does that include air filter and exhaust? And no mods?
Mark

post #4 of 18 Old 11-10-2012, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
doc
Clan McPhee

@
boogun, told them what was going on and asked them to find wtf was going on. They said they felt what I was talking about but it seemed minor and until I replaced the ecu they couldn't continue the hunt. I replaced the ecu as they said the wire harness was fine and the flapper valve opens and closes now.
@mark: occurs sub 2000 rpms. If I down shift properly I have no prob. but if I deliberately slow down while remaining in a higher gear (5th or 6th) and the give it WOT I feel a little bit of a stumble for just a second or two (and I can't always get it to do it). It is worse under load, so if I do this while going up a mountain road. Yes all OEM from Honda, no mods.

post #5 of 18 Old 11-11-2012, 12:03 AM
Left of Centre

WOT from low revs under load in a high gear is an unusual thing to be doing, it seems to me. Have you always done it? Did the engine respond the same way before you parked it? Is it not possible to avoid this circumstance? Is it worth worrying about?

post #6 of 18 Old 11-11-2012, 12:09 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

What k1W1 says

I like to keep the rpms above 3200 ideally. I've never done wot from 2k unless I'm in 1st or 2nd. Also the flapper in the intake is vacuum controlled.. you sure on this dealer?

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #7 of 18 Old 11-11-2012, 08:55 AM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

I'll try a WOT in 5th from 2000 rpm...
My calculations say that 2000 RPM in 5th is 29.6 mph. For reference - red line in 5th is 140.4 mph. Quite a range. (I've got an old spread sheet to calculate this.)

Take care,
Mark

post #8 of 18 Old 11-11-2012, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
doc
Clan McPhee

Of course I don't normally drive in this range, it something I noticed and now it's bugging me.

@mark: thanks!

post #9 of 18 Old 11-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Left of Centre

It's not something I've ever done, so I don't know how my own bike would respond, but under the circs you describe, I'm not surprised you get a bit of a stumble and cough from the fuelling system - you are asking quite a lot of it.

Sorry to hear it's bugging you, but I don't think it's symptom of anything bad. If it happened when you rolled on the throttle, rather than whacking it open, that would be more of a cause for concern, IMO.

post #10 of 18 Old 11-11-2012, 03:44 PM
Le So Cal Troll

the flapper valve vacuum solenoid is controlled by the ecu.

The bike should have no problems pulling from low rpms (like 1.5k) on in 6th gear WOT... i do it all the time screwing around. It should pull straight through without any hesitation. It will bog if your down that low in rpms then wack the throttle SUPER fast to wot, thats just a nature of a motor in general. But if your having issues rolling on to WOT at low rpms (im talking like taking 1 second to go from full closed to WOT is all) then theres something up.

post #11 of 18 Old 11-12-2012, 05:41 AM
Tool & Die

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Ok, stupid question...What is WOT?

post #12 of 18 Old 11-12-2012, 05:52 AM
Princeps Prior

Wide open throttle

post #13 of 18 Old 11-12-2012, 05:58 AM
Tool & Die

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Well Duuhh. Thanks for makeing me just a little less dumb.

post #14 of 18 Old 11-12-2012, 06:50 AM
Immune

I can understand when something isn't "right" how it can be annoying. However... Considering all the time and money youve spend on this problem, you might consider getting a PC3 and having it tuned on a Dyno. Some folk feel the throttle response was never right to begin with. Hopefully some others can comment on this approach.

post #15 of 18 Old 11-12-2012, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
doc
Clan McPhee

It just feels off to me, but I am not dropping any more big$ into it. Was hoping there might have been something simple I might have missed.

post #16 of 18 Old 11-17-2012, 05:46 AM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc
It just feels off to me, but I am not dropping any more big$ into it. Was hoping there might have been something simple I might have missed.
Stupid question did you gap the spark plugs correctly? Check the valve clearances? Did you clean the tank? Could be some junk in the tank still. Just a couple ideas good luck

post #17 of 18 Old 11-18-2012, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
doc
Clan McPhee

Spark plugs are good, never checked valves but it only has 3500 miles on it.

post #18 of 18 Old 11-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc
Spark plugs are good, never checked valves but it only has 3500 miles on it.
One more easy thing make sure your battery cables and all connections are tight. My old gsxr used to act up when the cables rattled loose from me riding like I stole it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode