Heated Renthal handlebars mod? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 11-13-2013, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Heated Renthal handlebars mod?

Guys, I don't know why I've suddenly gotten so interested in my bike after letting it (sinfully) sit in the driveway all summer...

...but I'd like to look into getting my grips warm one way or another. I hate the look of those grips with the wires coming out of them, and I don't particularly want to wrap those universal pieces of tape under my grips, which leads me to handlebar warmers. You've seen these things that Heat Demon sells for sofa bikes with 1" handlebars.

Now to my point: I've discovered these things called cartridge heaters that typically operate on 110 or 220v circuits. They are used, I guess, for industrial mould making and usually have a heat range of 100-1400F. I don't need them to be quite as warm as 1400, but I was thinking about running 12v through one to see what kind of heat I could get, if any. I'm interested in these heaters because my Renthal bars have a 14mm inner diameter, and it's easy to find cartridge heaters in 13 or 14mm for cheap (Amico Stainless Steel Tube Mould Cartridge Heater 13mm x 190mm AC 110V 590W - Amazon.com).

I'll do some testing and let interested parties know. In the meantime, maybe someone can tell me the best place to (eek) knock a hole in my bars.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-13-2013, 09:20 PM
TEXAN

Hmm. A 110V heater that puts out 590W is a 20.5 ohm resistive heater that will only put out 7W at 12V (not that AC and DC are directly interchangeable but it's close enough to ballpark it). Spread out over a 7.5 inch long heater inside a handlebar, that may not be enough power to get through the grip and glove to warm your hand at speed.

I work with cartridge heaters sometimes. It will be very important to have good thermal contact between the heater and the handlebar - even a gap of .5mm will reduce the effectiveness of the heater noticeably.

Anyway, I love experiments like this - looking forward to see what you come up with.

post #3 of 7 Old 11-14-2013, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Yup, that's exactly what I was looking for. Tried to find a way to calculate output difference between AC and DC, but couldn't figure out the "power factor" variable that the formula was looking for. They sell 14mm cartridge heaters, but I was afraid it wouldn't fit smoothly.

Shipping update tells me the seller is shipping from China, so I can expect this thing to show up between Dec 6 and Dec 24. Didn't realize the wait would be so long.

post #4 of 7 Old 11-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Imaginifer

I've got the cheap-O stick-on mylar type heaters on mine (I slapped them right on top of smooth Kawasaki grips) with thin foam Grip Puppies on top of that. Yes, they look like crap, but that thought is lost when it gets cold when you're a couple of hundred miles from home, and you're dog tired, and it looks like it will keep raining all the way.

Keep in mind that aluminum works real well as a heat sink, so if you heat the Renthals the heat will go pretty much everywhere other than where you want it to go. However, some low risk experimentation never hurt anything.

"Keep on 9-in"

post #5 of 7 Old 11-18-2013, 04:08 PM
-Thread Lurker-

Theres a huge selection of grip warmers for snowmobiles. The 12v supply is enough to burn my palms when on high, in -30'C conditions. You could probably rig some better grips on the film/coil style. My sled grips are very comfortable and have great grip however. I know theres a variety of heated grips for people who put on a twisty throttle as well. Might be worth checking into!

Till next time, Brrraap
post #6 of 7 Old 11-19-2013, 08:44 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Go here: Polly Heaters Inc. - PH400
Dual range 18 watt heaters that will insert into the handlebars. Not too bad a deal at $39, and includes a spdt center off switch for high / low / off range selection. They are 5/8" (0.625") diameter, so make sure they will fit inside the bar before ordering.

You will have to drill the center of the bar for the wires, and I recommend separate holes for each side, and a terminal strip like this: 12-Position European-Style Mini Terminal Strip : Mini Terminal Strips | RadioShack.com
They allow for easier connection without splices or crimp terminals, smaller holes drilled for the wires, and much easier removal due to not having to splice the heater wires after routing them through the bar.

Rob

post #7 of 7 Old 11-19-2013, 11:17 AM
TEXAN

That is awesome, Rob. I don't think they will fit in Renthals, though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode