Header temps - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 07-01-2011, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
jrj
Optio

Header temps

I was just wondering what people who had measured the header pipe temps found. I looked at my pipes and thought they were different colors and was hoping it was not varied temperatures. I used my buddy's IR temp gun and found that one of my pipes (out board on the passenger side) was running way cooler, by ~120 deg. F than the driver side pipes and the inboard passenger side pipe was running way hotter than all of them by ~150 deg. F. Anybody got a possible explanation for this before I go digging around for more clues? Maybe it has to do with the way the coolant/oil goes through the block and head? Stock '06 919 BTW.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Chief 10 Beers

I would expect the inner pipes to run hotter as they have hot pipes on either side of them. As to why your left and right pipes differ by 120deg I can't say. I wouldn't get hung up on it.

post #3 of 12 Old 07-01-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
jrj
Optio

A difference of 20-30 degrees wouldn't get me hung up, but 100+ degrees difference makes me wonder. I forgot to mention that the temps are at idle and she doesn't seem to run as strong as she used to (but that could all be in my mind).

post #4 of 12 Old 07-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Chief 10 Beers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj View Post
A difference of 20-30 degrees wouldn't get me hung up, but 100+ degrees difference makes me wonder. I forgot to mention that the temps are at idle and she doesn't seem to run as strong as she used to (but that could all be in my mind).
Well assuming it is not your imagination the obvious and simple places to start would be spark plugs depending on how old they are or to look at how they are burning, Spark plug wires...a recent poster resolved his problem finding a plug wire that was not screwed into the coil very well. I would also run some Chevron Techron injector cleaner through it. I have seen this stuff work wonders. Just a few easy things to try and see how that effect the temps???

post #5 of 12 Old 07-01-2011, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
jrj
Optio

Plugs were going to be my first stop in the morning. I've been meaning to get some Seafoam to run through but I haven't got around to it yet. The bike sat on the dealer floor for 4 years before I bought her last July so I have been waiting for some kind of issue with the fuel system in the event they put gas in her when it arrived just to make sure she fires up. 12,500 miles later (which puts my warranty on the expired side of things) and I have this issue. Or non-issue, since I haven't even confirmed the existence of a problem.

post #6 of 12 Old 07-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Chief 10 Beers

Keep us posted! I came here to learn!

post #7 of 12 Old 07-01-2011, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
jrj
Optio

Will do.

post #8 of 12 Old 07-02-2011, 05:22 AM
Why not?

It is possible that it was your friends gun that you were using. if it was of lesser quality then it could have been giving out false readings, or the temperature of your pipes was exceeding the temp limit of the gun, this could also yield a false temp reading.

post #9 of 12 Old 07-02-2011, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
jrj
Optio

It was a craftsman that was good up to 1000 degrees. I don't know how well those are calibrated or what their track record for accuracy is but I would think it would still show the differences accurately.

post #10 of 12 Old 07-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Show + go

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Very interesting stuff. I have always wondered about this. I have heard of guys that will check the header temps this way to determine rich/lean conditions on drag cars. Now I am going to have to bring home the temp gun from work and check mine.

When the green flag drops, the bullsh!t stops
post #11 of 12 Old 07-03-2011, 08:10 AM
Aquilifer

I remember reading years ago the factory would tune the Moto Guzzi 500cc V-8 in a dark room striving to get the headers to glow the same shade of red.YouTube - ‪Greatest Ever Motorcycle: #9 - Moto Guzzi V8 (1955)‬‏

Rich

post #12 of 12 Old 07-04-2011, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
jrj
Optio

I wish I could put a V-8 in a bike like that. I pulled the plugs out of cylinders 1 and 4 (4 being the cooler running pipe) today and didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Looks like I'm running rich and I let it idle too long before I ride. I'm in need of some new plugs at the least. Soon I'll be putting plugs in and getting some seafoam for the fuel system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode