Head gasket seeping oil!!! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 6 Old 07-03-2012, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Qex
What goes here?

Head gasket seeping oil!!!

My head gasket appears to be seeping oil! I didnt see it until I was laying on the ground and looking up between the radiator and the front of the engine where you can actually wipe a bit of dirty wet oil.

Has anybody else seen their 919 seep oil around the head gasket? I can see it seeping very very slightly around most of the gasket but very clearly visible in the front right side of the engine. I would love it if it was coming from the valve cover gasket but there is no evidence of the gasket seeping at all or any drip marks down to the head gasket. No oil from the PAIR covers either as somebody else has seen and posted about.

I can only think to wipe it all down very well and ride it & recheck later but right now it is in the position where I could check and re-torque the head bolts. I know the gasket is not blown. Coolant and oil are perfect/clean. Thing runs perfect. In fact several months back when I went to start it for the first time in about 8-10 months I merely tapped the starter and it fired without the choke/fast idle knob pulled. On untreated gas that old too.

I have, on some single cylinder engines in the past, just re-torqued head bolts when no other symptoms were present. This a good idea on the 919? Or should I ignore it and ride it until there is a real problem?

'02 919 PCIII, Two Bros, Sargent, Ohlins, and some other stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Ian

I would check the valve cover gasket, mine had a slight leak on the forward edge between the PAIRS. It's hard to see because of the rad.

Just clean it off well and ride it as is. See if it comes back and how quickly, check your oil level regularly, check the overflow for oil mixed in the coolant, and keep an eye on the temp gauge and oil light.

post #3 of 6 Old 07-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Discen

I had success with retorquing gaskets on car engines.

It can't do any wrong anyway. The worst case scenario is that it won't do anything...

I'd try it.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Le So Cal Troll

get a picture of it so we can see exactly where it is. more than likely its at the pair valve where people have had slight leaks.

post #5 of 6 Old 07-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh
get a picture of it so we can see exactly where it is. more than likely its at the pair valve where people have had slight leaks.
If so, put some permatex on the block off plates (assuming you've already done pair valve removal).

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #6 of 6 Old 07-03-2012, 06:47 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
+1, clean, ride, take pics/look for seepage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode