• 2 Post By rmb
  • 1 Post By badmoon692008
  • 1 Post By Islandboy
  • 1 Post By Islandboy

post #1 of 18 Old 01-23-2019, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Grips advice sought!

My 919 came with Oxford heated grips and rather gnarly grips. I have never used the heater, and had no need to in the Winter as I have decent gloves and my commute is 20 minutes!

I am gradually making some changes to my 919, trying to minimise costs and also aim for any performance upgrades which will be felt, but this is nowt to do with the grips query.

I have bar end mirrors, and have come across a 2005 919 been broken down by a wreckers yard. Hate to see the beast demolished and sold for parts, but...it has decent looking grips. And I wonder if its as simple as me grabbing those and removing the current grips and Oxford Heating unit (top bit seems simple but then what eh? Follow the lead to the battery and On/Off unit under the seat and rip out?)

Images of the grips are in the first post on this thread>>
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums...mpt-80267.html

ANy advice is welcome!

Cheers,
Daniel

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-23-2019, 07:42 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

I looked at your photos, not really sure what's gnarly about those grips, they look pretty decent to me. In any case, those grips are all one piece, and fit on like standard grips, so once removed, any standard grip made for 7/8" bar and for motorcycles (one will be larger to fit the throttle tube) should work fine.
thegutterpoet likes this.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #3 of 18 Old 01-23-2019, 07:55 AM
Tirone

Can’t help you on removal/install advice.

But might want to look at a set of pro grips as a replacement. IMO, better than stock. And won’t be used/worn like removing from the salvage bike.

I had the 699 on mine (with bar ends), but the 713 also looks like nice option for a classic look.

Around $10(US) and come in closed or open end.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...bike-gel-grips

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegutterpoet View Post
My 919 came with Oxford heated grips and rather gnarly grips. I have never used the heater, and had no need to in the Winter as I have decent gloves and my commute is 20 minutes!

I am gradually making some changes to my 919, trying to minimise costs and also aim for any performance upgrades which will be felt, but this is nowt to do with the grips query.

I have bar end mirrors, and have come across a 2005 919 been broken down by a wreckers yard. Hate to see the beast demolished and sold for parts, but...it has decent looking grips. And I wonder if its as simple as me grabbing those and removing the current grips and Oxford Heating unit (top bit seems simple but then what eh? Follow the lead to the battery and On/Off unit under the seat and rip out?)

Images of the grips are in the first post on this thread>>
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums...mpt-80267.html

ANy advice is welcome!

Cheers,
Daniel

post #4 of 18 Old 01-23-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Thanks for the responses, chaps...I think I might try some of the revzilla offerings suggested. Will report back when I likely mangle the wires when removing the Heated Grips unit.

post #5 of 18 Old 01-23-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Actually, the $40 US for shipping has led me to reconsider! I will peek for something similar on ebay unless another can point me to the same or similar without the exorbitant delivery costs.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Progrip-...frcectupt=true

Found the closed end, but I have the bar end mirrors so assume I need open end grips?

post #6 of 18 Old 01-24-2019, 03:35 AM
919 Rider

Thread Hijack!
How do you remove Honda hand grips without wrecking them. So they can be reused.
Cheers.

post #7 of 18 Old 01-24-2019, 04:45 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
Thread Hijack!
How do you remove Honda hand grips without wrecking them. So they can be reused.
Cheers.
Try compressed air and / or a piece of wire like a coat hanger. When I removed mine they were ON THERE....
badmoon692008 and Islandboy like this.

post #8 of 18 Old 01-24-2019, 07:34 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Thread Hijack!
Cheers.
Like RMB suggested, compressed air works great. If they're still factory I usually try to jam a zip tie or piece of wire underneath to break up the glue a bit, then put a nozzle from an air hose underneath and they should pop right off. I have been known to use the zip tie method with some WD-40 or similar fluid in the past when air wasn't accessible.
Islandboy likes this.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
-2007 Honda 919
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #9 of 18 Old 01-24-2019, 10:15 AM
919 Rider

Thanks fellas.
I will try zip tie/compressed air to remove OEM hand grips. I wish to try some different grips. Maybe something with a slightly larger diameter or different profile. But I would like to remove the old stock grips intact just incase I want to put them back on.

post #10 of 18 Old 01-25-2019, 06:11 PM
919 Rider

I'll probably get a set of Progrips like PC1978 suggested. I like the look of them. They have a large range of grips. Some single density, some dual. Not sure what it all means. I've downloaded their catalog and will do a little research. After a bit I'll pick out a type.
They seem well priced.

post #11 of 18 Old 02-06-2019, 11:14 PM
919 Rider

Got my Progrips today and fitted them. They look good and feel great.
Thanks for the suggestion PC1978.
Thanks RMB and badmoon for the compressed air suggestion. Worked like a treat. The OEM were stuck good. The air blew them up and they pretty much floated off. I even used compressed air to get the new ones one. Easy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190207_173645-1_1549523459959.jpg (146.0 KB, 15 views)
badmoon692008 likes this.

post #12 of 18 Old 02-19-2019, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Well, my own cheap option from ebay arrived today and the left fits but isnt flush with the end weight and bar end mirror. Would be usable I suppose, but thin and probably a waste of 30$. The right (throttle)...i couldnt get the current Oxford grip off, no pulling would help! Any ideas there?

Other than compressed air!?

And should one of the grips always come with the plastic inside piece which you replace as part of the swap between new throttle grips?

post #13 of 18 Old 02-20-2019, 12:29 AM
919 Rider

Did you try compressed air like the others suggested. Worked a treat for me. Could be glue under your grip. The other boys suggested a piece of wire, cable tie to help loosen things up. Maybe a bit of heat like a hair dryer?
I'm as happy as a pig in s**t with my Progrips. About $30au delivered. Fit perfectly, look sexy and feel awesome.

post #14 of 18 Old 02-20-2019, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Milites Gregarius

Garage
Quote:
Did you try compressed air like the others suggested. Worked a treat for me. Could be glue under your grip. The other boys suggested a piece of wire, cable tie to help loosen things up. Maybe a bit of heat like a hair dryer?
I'm as happy as a pig in s**t with my Progrips. About $30au delivered. Fit perfectly, look sexy and feel awesome.
Maybe I should try them instead, mate! Yet I need a pair with open ends for my bar end mirrors (don't I???). And did your grips come with the white plastic cylinder for the throttle or just the grip that goes over that plastic cylinder?

I will give the thing a go with the hair direr over the weekend. But may first focus on the PC III install in the small time I might find to tinker without feeling guilty of others near and generally dear in need of my company.

post #15 of 18 Old 02-20-2019, 01:13 AM
919 Rider

The Progrips also have an open end option. Plus I also believe you can cut the ends out?
Compressed air made the whole job super easy. Also allowed for easy fitment of new.
Good luck with the PC111.

post #16 of 18 Old 02-20-2019, 04:39 PM
919 Rider

I just realised the Progrips I got were the open ended type.
No throttle tube just the grip.

post #17 of 18 Old 02-21-2019, 07:52 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegutterpoet View Post
Well, my own cheap option from ebay arrived today and the left fits but isnt flush with the end weight and bar end mirror. Would be usable I suppose, but thin and probably a waste of 30$. The right (throttle)...i couldnt get the current Oxford grip off, no pulling would help! Any ideas there?

Other than compressed air!?

And should one of the grips always come with the plastic inside piece which you replace as part of the swap between new throttle grips?
The oxford grip has a solid core that the heating element wires are wrapped around so the compressed air won't work as well, if at all on it because it can't expand like a normal rubber grip. I'd try using wire or zipties to break up the glue underneath and also some WD-40 or other type of liquid that can get in there and make it easier to get it to slide.

The throttle tube is part of the throttle housing and will never come with grips. It's replaceable, but you shouldn't have any reason to replace it when changing grips.

-2007 Honda 919
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #18 of 18 Old 02-21-2019, 05:10 PM
919 Rider

I did a Google search on Oxford heated grips removal. Badmoon is right you have a battle on your hands.
Do you need to save the grips?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode