GPS Nav over iPhone, what do you use? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 01-19-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Pilus Posterior

GPS Nav over iPhone, what do you use?

I just tried to get google maps running in a tab in Chrome, I guess that doesn't work that way because I can't see any voice option.

I didn't realize you had to have a distinct app to get voice directions.

What iOS app do you use for GPS and how well does it work?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-19-2019, 06:20 PM
Centurion

Garage
there's google maps and waze on iOS.

I prefer using waze though, it's quite dynamic when it comes to traffic and it's quite easy to use.

post #3 of 7 Old 01-20-2019, 09:31 AM
jack

I just started playing with Scenic. Haven't been able to ride with it yet.It has route mode settings of fast,short,efficient and curvy. I have a couple of places I ride to often and I set the curvy route in and it took me the same way I go. I can't wait to try it out. Got to warm up a little. Down to 16 tonite.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-20-2019, 10:24 AM
Tesserarius

I don't use anything on the bike mostly because I don't tour.

In the Mustang, or the truck, I just use the phone app on my iPhome 7+. I have noticed that if you put in a vague destination description, it may send you the "Scenic Route". But if you give a house number, Street, and town, you're more likely to get the faster route.

In the past, I haven't been a fan of having the phone mounted on my handlebar, because for me, it's a distraction. But like everything else in life, the judicious application of self discipline works wonders. The previous owner of the Streetfighter left his phone mount in place. I took it off. After spending the last 5 weeks in California, I'm kind of thinking I might try it when the weather gets better. I'd have been lost without it.

post #5 of 7 Old 01-21-2019, 12:53 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

I use google maps. Waze is neat with the cameras, but honestly it gives you a false sense of security, because it doesn't show EVERYTHING. Just because it doesn't show any cops or cameras doesn't mean there aren't any. Plus, it's routing system is super dumb. It'll make you take a million turns through the ghetto to save one minute when you don't actually save any time instead of taking a more normal route. That, and it's harder to read and generally the little blip on the map lags behind where you actually are a lot more than google maps and it makes finding the right place to go a little harder. When I go into an area I expect to have no signal, I download the offline maps for google, so that my GPS chip alone can help me navigate. No need to have a million gadgets when one can do them all. Obviously a full blown GPS would be more reliable but it's not worth 600 dollars for me. I've not had any problems with my current setup.

post #6 of 7 Old 01-22-2019, 08:48 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Scenic if you want to import a specific route that you've drawn up on google maps and want turn by turn. I do this every year when we tour wisconsin and try to hit rustic roads and it works pretty well. You need to go through and make sure it imported correctly (and usually manually adjust a couple turns) but otherwise its great. For simple point to point navigation either the google maps app or just the standard apple maps app both seem to do a reasonable job.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #7 of 7 Old 01-23-2019, 05:32 PM
Tirone

I use the google maps app on my iPhone. Seems to work well enough for what I need

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
I just tried to get google maps running in a tab in Chrome, I guess that doesn't work that way because I can't see any voice option.

I didn't realize you had to have a distinct app to get voice directions.

What iOS app do you use for GPS and how well does it work?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode