Gix'n in the rain! (Northwest) - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 41 Old 09-03-2012, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Gix'n in the rain! (Northwest)

Ok as we all are aware of the "normal" northwest weather is on its way soon, now I don't mind the weather here but I fear the pissy rain that we get most of the year might present some problems for my revived GIXXR, I've moved Pretty much the entire wiring harness to right behind the head under the tank/seat including the fuse box which I covered with heavy plastic and zip tied around the wires leading to it,...sooooo, I have two areas of concern remaining #1 my newly installed gauges and future tach. #2 the SRAD intake...for the intake I plan on installing some sort of deflectors inside the air box so as to not restrict air flow but direct any rain water down away from the filter and out the drain holes in the air box, I hope this will work well.....as for the gauges, I'm not sure what to do about protecting those? And I'm not sure how much water they will put up with? They are just your average automotive gauges, decent quality but I doubt theyre "waterproof", I'm planning on installing one of the streetfighter headlight units which will provide some protection, I'm looking for other options for protecting the gauges, possible windscreens, heated grips? Or anything that will help the GixMix survive our weather

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 09-10-2012, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Well guess I'll just have to wing it

:buell:
post #3 of 41 Old 09-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Le So Cal Troll

got any pics of the guages / intake area?

post #4 of 41 Old 09-10-2012, 10:46 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

It sounds like you have the fuse box pretty well protected.

Do the gauges come apart? If they do, you might try putting a little silicone sealant around the trim parts that surround the plastic/glass.

I'm not too familiar with the SRAD intake, but has it been modified from the original configuration?

post #5 of 41 Old 09-10-2012, 10:51 AM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

I believe the scoops that are on the fairing had drainage right? (My 96 GSXR had SRAD) You could make up some fiberglass scoops that extend just behind the steering stem on both sides with a drainage port.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #6 of 41 Old 09-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Umbrella Girls!

post #7 of 41 Old 09-10-2012, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh
got any pics of the guages / intake area?

image-2578429388.jpg

image-3352261976.jpg

image-2402487927.jpg

This is the best I can do for pics right now, the intake ports look like they would shopvac up every drop of water that came close

I don't think it would be a good idea to take the gauges apart, but I do happen to have some automotive glass sealer, maybe I could wizard some of that on them, also thought of putting something in front of them so they don't get blasted

post #8 of 41 Old 09-10-2012, 03:08 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

A fender would be great in the rain too

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #9 of 41 Old 09-10-2012, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1
A fender would be great in the rain too
Ohhhh snap!! I knew I forgot something, and required in by law, my outlaw days are long past

post #10 of 41 Old 09-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash97 View Post
Attachment 22214

Attachment 22215

Attachment 22216

This is the best I can do for pics right now, the intake ports look like they would shopvac up every drop of water that came close

I don't think it would be a good idea to take the gauges apart, but I do happen to have some automotive glass sealer, maybe I could wizard some of that on them, also thought of putting something in front of them so they don't get blasted
umm for the intakes i would make a lil aluminum / tin piece that went over each of the holes that had a hole at the bottom. you could probably find what you need in homedepot in the roofing section.

kinda like the end of this

post #11 of 41 Old 09-10-2012, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:

umm for the intakes i would make a lil aluminum / tin piece that went over each of the holes that had a hole at the bottom. you could probably find what you need in homedepot in the roofing section.

Yes yes! This gives me an idea! Thanks!

post #12 of 41 Old 09-10-2012, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:

How about something like this?

image-3029010315.jpg

post #13 of 41 Old 09-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Le So Cal Troll

dude.... u need to learn how to post pics... dont post a screen shot of your phone... should be able to long press the picture to grab the url for the actual pic itself.

That said, yeah that would work... so long as the bottom of the top is below the bottom of the opening for the air duct... i would have the hole pointing down and slightly back.

post #14 of 41 Old 09-10-2012, 06:44 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Just curious... if the bike were completely stock with fairings and all, wouldn't rain still be able to get into the ram air ducts? If so maybe there is design in the ducts/ air box that will collect/ drain the water so it isn't sucked into the engine. Hard to believe that Suzuki would design a bike that couldn't be ridden in the rain.

post #15 of 41 Old 09-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Just curious... if the bike were completely stock with fairings and all, wouldn't rain still be able to get into the ram air ducts? If so maybe there is design in the ducts/ air box that will collect/ drain the water so it isn't sucked into the engine. Hard to believe that Suzuki would design a bike that couldn't be ridden in the rain.
typically the inlet at the nose is lower than the holes in the tank, and or the duct has a hump in it... so the heavier water droplets travel straight, hit the back wall of the hump, and drain out some drain hole.

post #16 of 41 Old 09-10-2012, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:

typically the inlet at the nose is lower than the holes in the tank, and or the duct has a hump in it... so the heavier water droplets travel straight, hit the back wall of the hump, and drain out some drain hole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike
Both very good points, in stock dress I'm sure the rain wouldn't both it a bit but being that I removed the downward angled and slightly bent intake ducts and front fairing that together prevented most of the water from being swallowed, I now have to take a different approach, think I'll try the modified exhaust tip idea for my first attempt

Now!! For the other issue....so you don't like my pics huh? just joking I'll try to do what you said, usually I have to crop them I've just been lazy here lately, sorry

post #17 of 41 Old 09-24-2012, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

image-1042906746.jpg

Here's our JV boys woopin up on knappa

post #18 of 41 Old 10-04-2012, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349397007.987434.jpg

Gixxr raingear- front fender? Check!

Next up is to buy and butcher a cbr600 windscreen, then covers for the SRAD

post #19 of 41 Old 10-10-2012, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Finally came up with something to stop rain water from blasting my airbox, it will probably still suck up some but this should helpImageUploadedByTapatalk1349905580.657311.jpg

post #20 of 41 Old 10-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Finally came up with something to stop rain water from blasting my airbox, it will probably still suck up some but this should helpAttachment 22653
Nice! Looks like it will keep you from sucking air in too.

post #21 of 41 Old 10-10-2012, 06:07 PM
GLG-20

Garage
Quote:

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #22 of 41 Old 10-10-2012, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Nope there's about a 1" gap behind them, they seem to have no effect on the bike, still rips along as usual

post #23 of 41 Old 10-12-2012, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Well this morning it started pouring rain!! The monsoons are here, I hope my little GixMix is ready for some water sports, I ordered some Frogg Toggs last night hope they get here soon!!! The wife's car is still in the shop so my only mode of transportation is the bikes, if it keeps raining this will be the gix's maiden voyage in the Oregon weather

post #24 of 41 Old 10-12-2012, 12:34 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Good luck with the GixMix in the rain. It isn't an SM so work up the breaking and leave plenty of cushion between you and the cars.

The only great thing about the rain is the smoothness you gotta have to ride in it. Once it dries up, it feels like you have traction for days.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #25 of 41 Old 10-12-2012, 12:38 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

Good luck with the rain. Ride smart.
Frogg Toggs are great. I love mine. Lightweight, waterproof and breathable. I wore them from Davenport, IA. to Chicago in pouring rain with no problems.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #26 of 41 Old 10-12-2012, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb900 View Post
Good luck with the rain. Ride smart.
Frogg Toggs are great. I love mine. Lightweight, waterproof and breathable. I wore them from Davenport, IA. to Chicago in pouring rain with no problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
Good luck with the GixMix in the rain. It isn't an SM so work up the breaking and leave plenty of cushion between you and the cars.

The only great thing about the rain is the smoothness you gotta have to ride in it. Once it dries up, it feels like you have traction for days.
Thanks gary, I've heard the frogg Toggs are pretty awesome, how are they for pulling over your boots?

Andrew, thanks for the heads up, it didn't take me long to see the diffrence between the gix and the DRZ, the quickness of the Z got me out of a lot of tight spots, the dirtbike pedigree it has also help with water puddles, wet leaves, etc, I have a feeling the gix won't be as forgiveing

post #27 of 41 Old 10-12-2012, 03:37 PM
The Cripple

+1 to what Andrew said. You'll be surprised what a bike on modern tires can do on wet pavement. There is still tons of braking power available to you. The key is to be smooth in ALL inputs. Work on being smooth and give yourself room to work with.

Indeed the rains are here (insert expletives here). Just stay away from wet leaves.

post #28 of 41 Old 10-12-2012, 03:54 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
+1 to what Andrew said. You'll be surprised what a bike on Michelin Pilot Road 2 or 3 tires can do on wet pavement. There is still tons of braking power available to you. The key is to be smooth in ALL inputs. Work on being smooth and give yourself room to work with.

Indeed the rains are here (insert expletives here). Just stay away from wet leaves.
Fixed it for ya. I know the PR3 is solid in the rear wet but I have a Pilot Power 2CT up front to put through the paces. Heard they hold up decent in the wet as well.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #29 of 41 Old 10-12-2012, 04:04 PM
The Cripple

Lol Andrew. the road 2 or 3 just makes riding in the rain all that much better!

post #30 of 41 Old 10-12-2012, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
+1 to what Andrew said. You'll be surprised what a bike on modern tires can do on wet pavement. There is still tons of braking power available to you. The key is to be smooth in ALL inputs. Work on being smooth and give yourself room to work with.

I've always found it kinda funny how many people think that riding in the rain is just crazy dangerous, well yes you do have to be a bit more careful but as you both mentioned about smoothness and they do have more grip than one might perceive, the part I always enjoyed was that there's no "pulling" when you hit standing water, my pickup would feel like it was going to fly off the road, the DRZ would cut through it like a knife

I'll have to take it easy but I have full faith in the gix for that matter, the thing I'm worried about is the intake and wiring, I hope I haven't missed protecting something important

post #31 of 41 Old 10-12-2012, 05:02 PM
I WANNA RIDE!

Quote:
how are they for pulling over your boots?
They are made for it. The ones I bought are the Road Toad for motorcylists. They have zippers at the bottom of the pants so you can put them on over your boots and then they also have elastic at the bottom so they don't let any water in.
I went to my local Cabela's sporting goods store as they sell the hunting/fishing models and had my riding jacket, pants & boots on and tried on some to get the right size then orderedd the Road Toad from the website. I felt funny going into Cabela's with all my riding gear on!!

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #32 of 41 Old 10-12-2012, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb900 View Post
They are made for it. The ones I bought are the Road Toad for motorcylists. They have zippers at the bottom of the pants so you can put them on over your boots and then they also have elastic at the bottom so they don't let any water in.
I went to my local Cabela's sporting goods store as they sell the hunting/fishing models and had my riding jacket, pants & boots on and tried on some to get the right size then orderedd the Road Toad from the website. I felt funny going into Cabela's with all my riding gear on!!
Awesome thanks!....I'm use to wearing my gear everywhere, doesn't bother me anymore, going to work or running Errons, even meeting the wife for dinner, I figure I paid enough for it might as well wear it

post #33 of 41 Old 10-13-2012, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

The gix seemed to enjoy playing in the rain, It felt a little different on the back roads but was otherwise unfazed, the rain has really started to bring the leaves down so that's a little nerve racking, and I remembered that my LED's aren't the water proof kind so we'll see how long they last

My frogg toggs should be here Monday and I'm bidding on a Joe Rocket Hat Trick waterproof armored jacket, it's an XXL but its brand new so I can work with it being oversized, don't they usually have adjustments?

post #34 of 41 Old 10-13-2012, 06:46 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Don't get it too big, there should be some adjustment but if you're a L or smaller it might not help too much.

post #35 of 41 Old 10-13-2012, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
Don't get it too big, there should be some adjustment but if you're a L or smaller it might not help too much.
My shift jacket is a XL, my leather is a 46, I'm going for it!! Should I go for the joe rockets or the Teknic?

post #36 of 41 Old 10-13-2012, 08:14 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
My shift jacket is a XL, my leather is a 46, I'm going for it!! Should I go for the joe rockets or the Teknic?

I don't have any experience with either brand, I'd go with the one that has the features you want most.

post #37 of 41 Old 10-13-2012, 08:20 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Whip, I've got a JR textile jacket. I wear a 46 snug in a A* leather jacket and I'm a medium on a JR. I can fit into a L but it's loose to the point where unless I have layers it causes a lot of flap in 60+. Might want to try a Large locally first

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #38 of 41 Old 10-13-2012, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
Whip, I've got a JR textile jacket. I wear a 46 snug in a A* jacket and I'm a medium on a JR. I can fit into a L but it's loose. XL might be too big for you even if you have layers.
Thanks bro, but I'm 6' and 230lbs, my XL is a little snug with a sweat shirt

post #39 of 41 Old 10-13-2012, 08:28 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Now that I think about it, my A* jacket has a chest protector so that makes sense that you're an XL.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #40 of 41 Old 10-14-2012, 04:57 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Thanks bro, but I'm 6' and 230lbs, my XL is a little snug with a sweat shirt
You should be fine, I have an Olympia in XXL, we're about the same size. I can tighten it up enough for warm weather riding and let it out to layer up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode