Givi Stop Light - Wiring - Electrical Question - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 20 Old 11-07-2014, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Givi Stop Light - Wiring - Electrical Question

Does anybody have any experience wiring a givi led stop lights with two wires only?

The OEM tail light wiring has two sockets and each socket has three wires (ground, tail light, stop light). I used one socket to connect my integrated LED light and I want to dedicate the other socket for the case lights.

I am not sure how to connect the led's with two wires so they work as a tail light and a stop light so they brighten up when I apply the brake?

I tired approaching it as some people did the conversion of the two wire turn signals to three wire. Here is a link to a simple wiring diagram with a reference to what I based mine on.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g0zljp3byy...agram.jpg?dl=0

So I tired the diodes and splitting one of the wires from the case into two and plugging the other to ground, but the outcome was constant bight light as I was applying the brake.

Then I played with it a little and here are my observations that may be helpful: 1.When I connect one of the wires from the case to ground and other to the running tail light cable (dimmer one) and apply brake then the leds go off.

2.When I switched the wire from running light to the stop light wire the case led are bright constantly as if the brake was applied. But when I apply the brake nothing happens.

I know there is some logic here but for some reason I can't figure it out. Does any of this make any sense to you guys?

Help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-07-2014, 02:12 PM
Yo no sť nada

It makes perfect sense, you can't do it with only two dedicated wires for the light. With two wires (a and b) one is hot(a) and the other is ground(b), or vise versa. Otherwise you need a separate apparatus that you connect those two wires into that will allow the wattage change for constant(running light) and variable(brake).

post #3 of 20 Old 11-07-2014, 02:47 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I believe the Givi is to be used as a brake light only, no option for a dimmer running light. This is the way I would wire it otherwise it will be on all the time and it will be harder for those behind you to see when the OEM brake light comes on.

post #4 of 20 Old 11-07-2014, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyke1019 View Post
It makes perfect sense, you can't do it with only two dedicated wires for the light. With two wires (a and b) one is hot(a) and the other is ground(b), or vise versa. Otherwise you need a separate apparatus that you connect those two wires into that will allow the wattage change for constant(running light) and variable(brake).
Do you have any knowledge of such apparatus that would work for what I am trying to do?

Also regardless of which (+) I plug them in to they are always on except when they are plugged in to running lights and when I apply the brake they turn off. It seems backwards to me.

post #5 of 20 Old 11-07-2014, 03:29 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betli29 View Post
Do you have any knowledge of such apparatus that would work for what I am trying to do? Also regardless of which (+) I plug them in to they are always on except when they are plugged in to running lights and when I apply the brake they turn off. It seems backwards to me.
I would assume that when the brake light circuit is engaged power is removed from the running light circuit, so that would explain why they go out when wired to the running light and pressing the brake...

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #6 of 20 Old 11-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Discen

Are these the round 4 little lights that go in a v46 trunk?

post #7 of 20 Old 11-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Yo no sť nada

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
I would assume that when the brake light circuit is engaged power is removed from the running light circuit, so that would explain why they go out when wired to the running light and pressing the brake...
BINGO

post #8 of 20 Old 11-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Yo no sť nada

Quote:

Do you have any knowledge of such apparatus that would work for what I am trying to do?
Any apparatus for this would involve a circuit board and programming. And probably cost more than it is worth.

post #9 of 20 Old 11-07-2014, 03:49 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
It most likely won't work because the LEDs are 12v and won't work on less. . You need a dual filament light.

08 DR-Z400SM
WFOATT
post #10 of 20 Old 11-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

For a point of reference look at the options available on hyperlites.com and signaldynamics.com. Those led's do require a three wire connection to get running and stop light function.

post #11 of 20 Old 11-07-2014, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lido View Post
Are these the round 4 little lights that go in a v46 trunk?
I actually have the v47. It is six led light in one strip.
Here is the link where you can see the picture of the whole thing: Givi E135 LED Stoplight Kit - RevZilla

post #12 of 20 Old 11-07-2014, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
I believe the Givi is to be used as a brake light only, no option for a dimmer running light. This is the way I would wire it otherwise it will be on all the time and it will be harder for those behind you to see when the OEM brake light comes on.
The only problem is that no matter how i try to connect the wires to the OEM harness it is not giving me this result.

It seems straight forward right? The OEM harness has 3 wires, one of each is the ground, so this leaves me with two other wires out of which at least should work as a stop light as you describe, correct? But it doesn't. Any other suggestions on how I could tackle this?

post #13 of 20 Old 11-07-2014, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
So in this case why when wired to a stop light nothing happens when I apply the brake and the light continues to stay on the entire time very bright?
Why is there a constant current running through the stop light? I thought it would only kick in when the brake is applied?

post #14 of 20 Old 11-08-2014, 04:07 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

It should be wired ground to ground, positive to the brake light side. It sounds like you have the positive wired to the running light side.

post #15 of 20 Old 11-08-2014, 04:37 AM
Cornicen

That is really strange, I recently tapped into the running light in one of the tail lights for turn on voltage for a relay. I tested the three wires with a multimeter and they were 12v, ground, and 12v when brake switch activated, like you seem to have found. If that's the case I don't know why you would get those results. Maybe a stupid question, but does your tail light/brake light work properly?

08 DR-Z400SM
WFOATT
post #16 of 20 Old 11-08-2014, 10:47 AM
Discen

Double check your wires. Honda screwed up the wiring on the 02 and 03(?) 919's. From memory, green is ground on the chassis side of the plug but green is hot on the light side of the plug.

post #17 of 20 Old 11-09-2014, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
It should be wired ground to ground, positive to the brake light side. It sounds like you have the positive wired to the running light side.
I tried both configurations and neighter of them gives me the desired result.

post #18 of 20 Old 11-09-2014, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimedog View Post
That is really strange, I recently tapped into the running light in one of the tail lights for turn on voltage for a relay. I tested the three wires with a multimeter and they were 12v, ground, and 12v when brake switch activated, like you seem to have found. If that's the case I don't know why you would get those results. Maybe a stupid question, but does your tail light/brake light work properly?
That is not a stupid questions. My thinking was exactly the same. I thought that maybe I wired the integrated light incorrectly and that screwed up the polarity. But I just plugged in the OEM lightbulb and the light woks fine, it brightens up when I apply the break.

So there must be some way of connecting the wires or getting some part that will enable my LEDs to turn on when I apply the brake.

post #19 of 20 Old 11-09-2014, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I finally figured it out, not sure why it is this way but this is what I did:
There are three wires:
Brown - Ground
Green - Running Light
Green/Yellow - Stop light

Until now I had ground from the case plugged in to the Brown cable and I was switching (+) between green and green/yellow. So I plugged the ground from the case to green and (+) from the case to green/Yellow. I was expecting to blow a fuse, but it worked!

Obviously I have no training with electrical stuff and this doesn't make sense to me, but as long as it works right?

Thanks for all you help guys, as always very appreciated.

Im putting it all together now and getting ready for my Sunday ride.
Cheers

post #20 of 20 Old 11-09-2014, 01:34 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
I finally figured it out, not sure why it is this way but this is what I did:
There are three wires:
Brown - Ground
Green - Running Light
Green/Yellow - Stop light

Until now I had ground from the case plugged in to the Brown cable and I was switching (+) between green and green/yellow. So I plugged the ground from the case to green and (+) from the case to green/Yellow. I was expecting to blow a fuse, but it worked!

Obviously I have no training with electrical stuff and this doesn't make sense to me, but as long as it works right?

Thanks for all you help guys, as always very appreciated.

Im putting it all together now and getting ready for my Sunday ride.
Cheers
I've got nothing! Glad you figured it out!

08 DR-Z400SM
WFOATT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode