Ghost in the Headlight - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 01-08-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Ride with grace.

Ghost in the Headlight

I'm going to throw this one out there with no expectations because I'm fully aware how scattered electrical issues can be. But here goes:

2007 919, something like 12,000 miles on it, new Renthal mediums (last summer), and a new Streetshield installed over the weekend. Never had an electrical issue one. Yesterday evening, started her up at the office to go home and the headlight didn't work - well, I discovered the headlight didn't work as the sun went down. Got home uneventfully and went back out to trouble shoot an hour later or so. Checked for loose wires, bad fuse, etc., couldn't find anything. This morning I started it up to run out to Honda to pick up a bulb (but checked for the light first thing, no joy). I stopped halfway to fill up, restarted and DIDN'T check, having accepted the headlight failure. When I got to the dealership, the light was on and no amount of fussing with wiring or anything would provoke a failure, glimmer, or anything, it was on like it has been for the last 4 years or 5 years I've owned it. Anyone have a similar experience that might shed light on this headlight issue?

Thanks,
Devin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-08-2019, 10:55 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Headlight was completely out? No hi or low beam? Possibly the starter ground thingie came off inside the right switchgear. It's common for 919. It's a very simple fix. There's a thread for it somewhere. Basically when you hit the starter, it kills the headlight for more amps. If the solder breaks on it, it's an open circuit and the headlight doesn't work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

post #3 of 7 Old 01-08-2019, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Ride with grace.

Huh, that's a good place to start. I'll check the connection and follow up.

Thanks!

post #4 of 7 Old 01-08-2019, 12:58 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums...ons-28152.html

This is the link to the thread and the fix. Hopefully it's something this simple.

post #5 of 7 Old 01-08-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Ride with grace.

Gotcha, thanks for finding it! It's a likely issue since I had that bar cluster apart not that long ago.

Cheers!

post #6 of 7 Old 01-11-2019, 07:26 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin4242 View Post
I'm going to throw this one out there with no expectations because I'm fully aware how scattered electrical issues can be. But here goes:

2007 919, something like 12,000 miles on it, new Renthal mediums (last summer), and a new Streetshield installed over the weekend. Never had an electrical issue one. Yesterday evening, started her up at the office to go home and the headlight didn't work - well, I discovered the headlight didn't work as the sun went down. Got home uneventfully and went back out to trouble shoot an hour later or so. Checked for loose wires, bad fuse, etc., couldn't find anything. This morning I started it up to run out to Honda to pick up a bulb (but checked for the light first thing, no joy). I stopped halfway to fill up, restarted and DIDN'T check, having accepted the headlight failure. When I got to the dealership, the light was on and no amount of fussing with wiring or anything would provoke a failure, glimmer, or anything, it was on like it has been for the last 4 years or 5 years I've owned it. Anyone have a similar experience that might shed light on this headlight issue?

Thanks,
Devin
Had this same problem a few years back, ended up being a solder ball bouncing around in there closing the contact to cut the headlight, probably more likely that you have a failed solder joint as that seems to pop up semi frequently, but you have to look in the same place for either problem so at least you know where to start.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #7 of 7 Old 01-14-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Ride with grace.

10-4, thanks for your input. Of course, it's started working again, without fail so far. I'm going to take the right handlebar cluster apart this weekend and see what's what. I did squirt some electrical contact cleaner in there, but I know that's a layman's answer without opening it up. Funny how such a minor item might cause such a major cluster (other meaning). I have some contact jelly that I will very delicately use on primary contacts, and truth be told, I did run through a major downpour lately, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'll take a picture when the cluster is open.

Cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode