Get rid of surface rust? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 22 Old 10-22-2012, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

Get rid of surface rust?

Hey guys just wondering how i get rid of some surface rust... i have quite a bit building up on the front end of my 919, mainly due to the fact i probably dont wash it nearly enough and i ride it often in very moist conditions and live close to the ocean (read salt water). its only on the front facing surfaces too.

A scotch brite pad seems to help but how do i prevent it? a good coat of flat black krylon?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-22-2012, 10:40 PM
Cornicen

For light surface rust on chrome, metal (except for plain aluminum) and even chromed plastic, I've always used 0000 steel wool and a good chrome polish.

Always keep the steel wool wet with polish, and replace it very often. Use circular motions whenever you can, using just enough pressure to remove the light rust. Better to do it twice and get the result you want, then try once with too much elbow grease.

Over the years, this method has worked on a bunch of old barn bikes, on everything from spokes and wheels to forks, handlebars and even chromed plastic side covers. I've also used it on turn signal lenses or anywhere I wanted to clean the surface, before applying a nice protective wax (on appropriate surfaces) or just a good layer of Bike Spirits.

post #3 of 22 Old 10-23-2012, 02:00 AM
Discen

Or you could just use autosol and a rag

post #4 of 22 Old 10-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 12

I've been wondering about this too. I ride in the rain and the 919 is parked on the street so there's a bit of rust forming.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #5 of 22 Old 10-23-2012, 09:30 AM
Ian

What parts exactly?

post #6 of 22 Old 10-23-2012, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

the chrome fittings on my SS break lines on the master cylinder, the underside / front of the lower triple, the frame above the radiator etc.... pretty much any front facing surface has some surface rust forming. I think its due to the fact i dont typically wash it, so dirt gets built up and collects moisture and holds it there...

damn salt water air.

over the winter i got some work to do on her... chain and sprockets etc... problem is i can still ride in the winter bahhahaa.

ill check out the 0000 steel wool.

post #7 of 22 Old 10-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Mine has it on the lower triples and on the tubes between the triples, living 8 miles from the ocean is hard on vehicles plus not having a real winter does make "winter" projects harder to do

Dan
post #8 of 22 Old 10-23-2012, 12:17 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
... problem is i can still ride in the winter bahhahaa.
Pipe down Rusty!

post #9 of 22 Old 10-23-2012, 01:01 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
Pipe down Rusty!

post #10 of 22 Old 10-24-2012, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

i decided to get a new front tire as the pilot power 2ct that was on there had 5k miles on it and was DONE.

being that the front is in the air, i figured well may as well take the time to clean and derust the entire front end, as well as lube the head bearings. Ill probably end up sanding down and painting the framework that goes behind the headlight bucket / holds the blinkers and maybe throw a clear coat over the lower triple.

post #11 of 22 Old 10-24-2012, 06:42 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

lower tripple rusts even if garage kept. It's junk Honda was saving $ to keep cost down. Unless you want to repaint it, don't bother as rust actually prevents more rust from forming. Yes, lube the head bearing. Also lube your swing arm pivot bolt and swing arm bearings. If you never took it out before, it is nice, dry and possibly very stuck in there.

post #12 of 22 Old 10-24-2012, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
lower tripple rusts even if garage kept. It's junk Honda was saving $ to keep cost down. Unless you want to repaint it, don't bother as rust actually prevents more rust from forming. Yes, lube the head bearing. Also lube your swing arm pivot bolt and swing arm bearings. If you never took it out before, it is nice, dry and possibly very stuck in there.
yeah i did the rear suspension lube 10k mi ago and packed her full o grease.

I just hate the look of the rust... it makes it look like a pos. when we all know its not.

post #13 of 22 Old 10-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Tirone

+1 on the #0000 steel wool. I spray WD-40 on the steel wool and clean everything. Then go over it with polish.

post #14 of 22 Old 10-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I painted my lower triples, but didn't bother doing anything with the rust inside the triples, other than clean it out a bit.

FWIW, I painted the triples while on the bike - I propped it up, removed the entire front end, then wrapped the bike in plastic and taped around the back of the triples. It came out really good!

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #15 of 22 Old 10-25-2012, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

yeah i got some therapeutic garage motorcycle tinker time this afternoon evening. Ended up taking the entire front end apart, cleaning all the old grease off the steering stem bearings (which was definitely needed)

I started in trying to remove the surface rust that had accumulated and went hmm... got a big ole wire brush and knocked most of it off then just said fawk it... taped up the stem lower race and steal and inner tube clamp area, threw coat of primer on it, and then a coat of metal colored paint.... looks as it it just came off the showroom floor.

Used some 0000 steel wool and simple green go clean up the forks... WOW talk about an effective way to remove surface rust and grime without scratching anything.

Also painted up the lil blinker bracket assembly and the break line fittings at the master cylinder and generally just cleaning up the crap that has gotten into the nooks and crannies over the years. Poor bike hasnt been washed in a long long time.

post #16 of 22 Old 10-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh
yeah i got some therapeutic garage motorcycle tinker time this afternoon evening. Ended up taking the entire front end apart, cleaning all the old grease off the steering stem bearings (which was definitely needed)

I started in trying to remove the surface rust that had accumulated and went hmm... got a big ole wire brush and knocked most of it off then just said fawk it... taped up the stem lower race and steal and inner tube clamp area, threw coat of primer on it, and then a coat of metal colored paint.... looks as it it just came off the showroom floor.

Used some 0000 steel wool and simple green go clean up the forks... WOW talk about an effective way to remove surface rust and grime without scratching anything.

Also painted up the lil blinker bracket assembly and the break line fittings at the master cylinder and generally just cleaning up the crap that has gotten into the nooks and crannies over the years. Poor bike hasnt been washed in a long long time.
No b4/after pics?!

post #17 of 22 Old 10-25-2012, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

i should of taken some before pics.. but with some Rebolution radio playing on my pandora and no one around, i just went to work to clear my mind

ill get some after pics if yall wish.

Btw, jackstands under the peg mounts, and no front end makes for a teeter totter. haha.

post #18 of 22 Old 10-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Yeah, I threw a bucket weighed down attached to a bungee cord to the back of mine to hold it back on the rear tire...

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #19 of 22 Old 10-29-2012, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

got her pretty much back together today, threw a fresh coat of flat black on the mirrors to cover up some knicks etc that have happened over the past 3 years. Front end looks like it should.

I must say that 0000 steel wool does WONDERS at polishing out stuff.

post #20 of 22 Old 10-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh
got her pretty much back together today, threw a fresh coat of flat black on the mirrors to cover up some knicks etc that have happened over the past 3 years. Front end looks like it should.

I must say that 0000 steel wool does WONDERS at polishing out stuff.
Glad the 0000 worked for ya. Occasionally the old tricks are still the best tricks.

post #21 of 22 Old 10-29-2012, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Le So Cal Troll

I was really surprised.... i had quite a bit of road grim and general corrosion build up on the chrome plastic of the backside of the gauges. I figured well... this 0000 steel wool doesnt seem too abrasive so i tested it in a small area that wasnt easily seen... i didnt know you could actually polish out chrome paint... but god damn it sure did.

post #22 of 22 Old 10-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Cornicen

Hell yes. That's great! I've used it on chromed plastic trim pieces like that a lot. I normally use a type of paste wax or something thick with the 0000 for those shiny surfaces.

Then change to something thinner, like a more liquid chrome polish when more corrosion is present on regular chromed metal.

Can't wait to see some pics!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode