Gerbings heated gear and the ole 900 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 19 Old 01-16-2013, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Gerbings heated gear and the ole 900

My wonderful wife, for the holidays had bought me Gerbings heated gloves and a jacket liner. She is a good woman.

Last night I hook up the connections to the battery of my '02 919 (that I bought used 1.5 yrs ago)

I decided to go on my maiden voyage using the gear to the dentist today. Man, the stuff worked great that is until I got about 2 miles away from my house.

The bike died while riding. Dead she was and I had to walk it for about 1/5 (part of that uphill). She finally did manage to start after about 20 minutes of walking.

Anyways...my question is...does the issue stem from the battery? Like I said, I bought the bike used and have no idea how old the battery is. It is too coincidental that the day after I hook up the connections for the gear up to the bike, she dies on me. I am not overly technical....but the battery was hooked up to a multimeter and it was just getting a hair over 12v but it wasnt liking the load....as in the load number was pretty bad. I had taken the battery to Iron Pony (great bike store) and they want to charge the battery overnight and hook it up again tomorrow for it was pretty close to dead.

Do I have a battery issue? Does it sound like that? Or could be an alternator issue? I am thinking battery, but like I said...I am so not technical.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-16-2013, 01:44 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Soumds like the battery to me, I have a gerbings liner and heated grips and have not had a problem yet with everything on the highest setting.

post #3 of 19 Old 01-16-2013, 01:45 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Get a new battery. If it's the stock battery, you're looking at one that is almost 11 years old. Even if it's on a 2nd battery, that's close to 5-6 years old, probably the end of it's life anyway.

Look into a lithium - get the 12 cell if you can. Then you should have plenty of juice to run heated gear.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel

post #4 of 19 Old 01-16-2013, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thats what I was sort of thinking....the battery. As stated, I have no idea how old it is.
Just out of curiosity...how much of a price bump is a lithium?

post #5 of 19 Old 01-16-2013, 03:13 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

8-cell $135ish

12-cell $165ish

Worth it for the extra 4 cells, IMO.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #6 of 19 Old 01-16-2013, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Back to Gerbings...

I have the G3 gloves and wore them for about 10 miles before the bike died. Are they supposed to get 'hot' or just 'warm'? The jacket liner was noticably warm but the gloves...they didnt appear too overly warm. I wasnt cold, mind you but thought they should get a bit warmer. Or maybe its because the battery wasnt putting out enough juice?

post #7 of 19 Old 01-17-2013, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Okay....another question....

I failed to mention something in my original post. The bike had not been ridden for about a month but I thought nothing of that since the bike started right up.

The local motorcycle shop kept my battery over night and charged it up (as stated, it was dead). The checked it when charged and said nothing was wrong with it. Could the issue have been since it sat for about a month (not on a trickle charge) and since the charge was low the Gerbings items killed it? I thought when the bike is running that the battery charges or was it possibly just to low and when connected to the heated clothing, it was just too much?

post #8 of 19 Old 01-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninusa
Okay....another question....

I failed to mention something in my original post. The bike had not been ridden for about a month but I thought nothing of that since the bike started right up.

The local motorcycle shop kept my battery over night and charged it up (as stated, it was dead). The checked it when charged and said nothing was wrong with it. Could the issue have been since it sat for about a month (not on a trickle charge) and since the charge was low the Gerbings items killed it? I thought when the bike is running that the battery charges or was it possibly just to low and when connected to the heated clothing, it was just too much?
Could of had a bad connection at the battery or maybe your stator went out. I have gerbing gloves and heated grips and never have issues. How cold was it when you rode? That affects how well the gloves work.

post #9 of 19 Old 01-18-2013, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Mid 30's

post #10 of 19 Old 01-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Mid 30's
Yup the colder it is the less they actually work. You might want to invest in a dual temp controller if you are running more than one heated item. Hand guards will help the gloves heat up by keeping the wind off your hands also.

post #11 of 19 Old 01-23-2013, 07:23 PM
Tirone

If your charging system can't keep up with the load I can easily understand why the battery died. Were you running the Gerbing gear flat out, that is, direct connected to the electrical system or were you using one of their heat controllers? The controllers let you adjust the heat level. I think they use pulses of varying length to control the heat level. That technique also reduces power drain somewhat.

My GL1800 has no issues even when my wife uses her heated gear simultaneously. A former Aprilia Scarabeo 150 had sufficient capacity to run a single set of Gerbing gear but a Vespa scooter has its hands full just keeping the lights on - no spare capacity for heated gear.

post #12 of 19 Old 01-24-2013, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Update to the whole issue...

I talked to my 'bike guy' and he swears its the battery. Even after the motorcycle shop told me it was fine, I decided to go purchase a new one. When there, I had them 'on the spot' check the old battery. They put a load on it and told me it was bad. Even another guy told me he thought it took awhile for it to charge when they had it not 2 days prior. Originally they told me it was fine....on a second look...it was bad. I bought a new battery.

BUT....going back to the question I asked a few post ago. The gloves...even with the new battery on the bike...the gloves do not get overly warm. I was told in another forum that when put on 'high'..the gloves get too hot. Mine dont seem to get too hot. I get warm....but not hot even when the controller is set on high. Faulty gloves or do they just get warm?

post #13 of 19 Old 01-24-2013, 04:36 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

If I put the jacket liner and gloves both on high, it seems that the jacket liner gets really warm and the gloves not so much. If I turn the jacket liner down the gloves get warmer. Not sure if you are also running a jacket.

post #14 of 19 Old 01-24-2013, 11:00 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
If I put the jacket liner and gloves both on high, it seems that the jacket liner gets really warm and the gloves not so much. If I turn the jacket liner down the gloves get warmer. Not sure if you are also running a jacket.
I think he's running the gloves via the jacket with just one heat troller?

post #15 of 19 Old 01-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Update to the whole issue...

I talked to my 'bike guy' and he swears its the battery. Even after the motorcycle shop told me it was fine, I decided to go purchase a new one. When there, I had them 'on the spot' check the old battery. They put a load on it and told me it was bad. Even another guy told me he thought it took awhile for it to charge when they had it not 2 days prior. Originally they told me it was fine....on a second look...it was bad. I bought a new battery.

BUT....going back to the question I asked a few post ago. The gloves...even with the new battery on the bike...the gloves do not get overly warm. I was told in another forum that when put on 'high'..the gloves get too hot. Mine dont seem to get too hot. I get warm....but not hot even when the controller is set on high. Faulty gloves or do they just get warm?
Try just hooking the gloves straight to the battery by themselves and if they don't get good and warm then you have an issue with the gloves. As I stated before if its really cold outside they can only do so much without hand guards or heated grips. Let us know

post #16 of 19 Old 01-25-2013, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
That is exactely what is happening. I do have the dual controller, btw.

I called Gerbings a couple of days ago. I talked to one of the 'tech' guys and he told me the jacket liner and the gloves are going to be different, heat wise. If you have the jacket liner on with another jacket over that, it is going to feel very toasty. Heat is getting trapped due to have a jacket on over the liner. The gloves are just gloves. There is nothing over them and they will only heat so much. They are meant to get warm and not 'hot'. A few ppl (on another forum) said if the gloves are cranked up to the highest setting, that they start to too hot and have to turn them down. The tech guy was surprised that was happening and again said, they are meant to get 'warm' and not 'hot'.

post #17 of 19 Old 01-25-2013, 02:28 PM
The Cripple

Interesting Borninusa. So what will you do then?

post #18 of 19 Old 01-25-2013, 03:18 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninusa View Post
That is exactely what is happening. I do have the dual controller, btw.

I called Gerbings a couple of days ago. I talked to one of the 'tech' guys and he told me the jacket liner and the gloves are going to be different, heat wise. If you have the jacket liner on with another jacket over that, it is going to feel very toasty. Heat is getting trapped due to have a jacket on over the liner. The gloves are just gloves. There is nothing over them and they will only heat so much. They are meant to get warm and not 'hot'. A few ppl (on another forum) said if the gloves are cranked up to the highest setting, that they start to too hot and have to turn them down. The tech guy was surprised that was happening and again said, they are meant to get 'warm' and not 'hot'.

My guess it's pretty normal and the Gerbings guys explanation sounds correct. I actually have FirstGear/ WarmNSafe brand heated gear.

post #19 of 19 Old 01-25-2013, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Interesting Borninusa. So what will you do then?

NOthing. What the guy said sounded logical to me. The gloves work..they heat up...I was just expecting more heat out of them.

He did say try a test....I live in Ohio where we are pushing like 15 degree weather...ride the bike with the gloves on for a bit and then turn them off. He said a difference will be noticed. We have a fair amount of snow, so that is not happening but again, sounded very logical to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode