• 1 Post By KarlJay
  • 1 Post By beefsalad
  • 1 Post By mcromo44
  • 1 Post By theboom

post #1 of 7 Old 09-19-2015, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Gearbox upshifting from fourth to neutral

Hi Guys,
I was coming back from work on Friday and while upshifting from fourth gear to fifth the transition would kick in to neutral. This happened like 3 times during my 30min ride. Is it possible I was to gentle shifting?
I heard that some transitions have the ability to put the bike in neutral between the higher gears, not sure if this is the case with 919?

Anyways, is this something I should be concerned about?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-20-2015, 03:00 AM
Left of Centre

Don't think it has been mentioned very much in those higher gears on here, but yes, you could perhaps give it a more positive push through - is your gear lever in good position for a firm shift?

You could also try a fresh gallon of oil in the motor/trans, if it hasn't been done lately, to see if that makes a difference.
Betli29 likes this.

post #3 of 7 Old 09-20-2015, 04:47 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

I think you found a "false neutral". I made a video to show how a MC shifts. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but basically, you can't get to a true neutral from 4th. I guess it could be that the ratchet system in the spring loaded drum has failed and the drum has spun back to neutral, but why would it go back to neutral and not some other gear?

A false neutral is when the spring force from the drum doesn't engage the gears and that gives the effect of neutral without the drum being moved to neutral.

This could be caused by the spring being weak in the drum or worn/broken forks or wear on the gears where they engage. More pressure on the shift won't fix this, changing speed (engine or wheel) can allow them to engage. Changing the speed is close to the effect you'd get from a syncro (matching gear speeds).

This shows the forks and the gears. The gears have nubs the go into slots, the spring energy from the drum provides the spring to push the gear nubs into place.

You can probably check the spring and ratchet without digging too deep.
Betli29 likes this.

post #4 of 7 Old 09-20-2015, 11:30 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I've hit false neutrals on the 919 more than once, all due to sloppy shifting.
Betli29 likes this.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #5 of 7 Old 09-20-2015, 03:59 PM
McTavish

Early on I found a few things about shifting 919s.
Let me rephrase, I found a few things, mostly related to rider, that resulted in duff shifts.
Slow lazy shifting results in more misses.
Crisp positive shifting gets better results.
A bit of lever preload helps huge, and some would say this is correct technique and not cheater technique.
Hard boots that provide no real lever feel at the toe can mess up things, especially if you have just transitioned from softer boots to hard boots.
Check linkage alignment, noting the fulcrum arms should have the centreline of their lengths parallel, one can too easily screw up the overall linkage geometry by poor adjustment and/or being off a spline or two by incorrect location of the splined fit.
It seems the harder the 919 tranny is worked, the better it shifts.
I found my poor technique most apparent on 5-6 shifts, for whatever reason I do not know.
Betli29 likes this.

post #6 of 7 Old 09-20-2015, 06:32 PM
oops hurts

Garage
Used to have this problem on my FZ1 quite a bit. I think its happened to me maybe twice in 10K miles on my last 919. I agree with mcromo that I sloppy shift 5-6 myself probably just out of boredom.
Betli29 likes this.

post #7 of 7 Old 09-24-2015, 09:32 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Shift like you mean it. Solves the problem.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode