Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Gauge Q

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  beefsalad 
#1 ·
So the gauge on my 600RR is busted. My friend bought a replacement before I took everything. I plugged it in and the needle starts at 2k. I took it all apart, pushed the needle back to zero, and when I plug it in it does the clearing sweep, then resets back to 2k!!! :sad:

I did figure out how to switch between k/mh and mph though :)

#3 ·
On the assumption that you bought the pod used it is possible that the needle was removed for whatever reason and either reinstalled incorrectly or purposely to make it look loke it's revving faster than it actually is. The new Yamaha R6 had this straight from the factory.

The needle driver in sine / cosine gauges have no internal stops -- they can spin 360 degrees. The stops are always on the gauge face. The only way to calibrate this type of gauge is with a signal generator with adjustable offset. With the generator you can determine the required pulse repetition rate to deflect the needle, do some simple math to convert pulses per minute to Hz (Pulses per second -- all signal generators are calibrated in Hz.), and send a signal to the gauge with the needle removed corresponding to a known RPM -- say 6000 RPM needs a 100 Hz signal, then install the needle to point at 6000 RPM. This is how it's done at the factory and there's no real alternative.

If you don't have the necessary equipment for this I could do it for you as long as I have a wiring diagram in order to get the power, ground, and signal pins right. There is a slight risk of damage to the gauge when removing / installing the needle, so no absolute guarantees, but it's worth a try.

Rob

#7 ·
Should just need the needles reset. I'm going to see if I can't replace the gauge face while I've got the needles off. I'm wanting to get rid of the yellow that seems to be embedded in the face.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.