Gasoline filthy tank lock / use of aftermarket key - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 25 Old 04-02-2016, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Unhappy Gasoline filthy tank lock / use of aftermarket key

Ciao guys,

I hope I chose the correct sub-forum, otherwise I would like to ask to move my thread. I checked the search engine but I was not successful.

All in all I have two issues.

Today I adjusted my gas tank lock due to it was hardly possible to open/close it. And, every time the key stuck in the lock. When I adjusted the lock I realized that the key was wet with gasoline after I removed it from the lock. Now I am looking for a possibility to dry the lock. Unfortunately I do not have an air compressor nor I know someone who would have one. Hence, I need other ideas.

The second issue which I have is most likely related to the wet tank lock.
Due to I have not realized that the key was wet I put it wet as it was in the ignition lock every time. Apparently the gasoline reacted quite aggressive with the key metal. Now my key is ripped on both sides and slightly twisted on its thinnest spot. Unfortunately I do not have a spare key. I did some internet research and found an English ebay seller who says he could cut a key just by a picture or a scan. So far, so good. The question is now how to deal with the HISS chip? Is it possible to remove the chip from the original key and stick it into the new, aftermarket key? Another possibility I read would be to leave the broken key on the key holder, and the bike could be started as well. Due to I am really not an electrician I do not want to tinker an adapter to teach a new chip to my bike as it is described in the hand book, and at different internet pages. Has anyone had experience with this issue, or any ideas what I could do, or what would work best?

Every advice is highly appreciated. But keep in mind I live in a foreign country and my Italian skills are at beginner level. Additional, right now I cannot drive my bike due to I am afraid of breaking my key completely.

Thanks in advance for your efforts.

Ciao Bjorn

I wanna die like my grandfather: peaceful asleep... and not panicly screaming like his passenger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-02-2016, 02:55 PM
Princeps Prior

The key getting stuck in the lock is very common on these bikes and others. I had it happen to me and it twisted my keys as well. So maybe once a year I very carefully put a little WD40 in the lock and work the key in and out. This I understand is not the best lubricant for the job as a silicone spray would more suited from what I've been told. It works for me thus far. Then I put the key in a vise to flatten it back out. Yours may be beyond this point if the key is damaged, the lock may be as well. You may have to go to a Honda dealer to get a replacement HISS key for the ignition and replace the tank lock and key with a used or aftermarket. Just make sure if you buy an aftermarket gas lid, that it has a ventilation hole. Can you post some pictures? It would help us determine your best options. Good luck

post #3 of 25 Old 04-02-2016, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
The key getting stuck in the lock is very common on these bikes and others. I had it happen to me and it twisted my keys as well. So maybe once a year I very carefully put a little WD40 in the lock and work the key in and out. This I understand is not the best lubricant for the job as a silicone spray would more suited from what I've been told. It works for me thus far. Then I put the key in a vise to flatten it back out. Yours may be beyond this point if the key is damaged, the lock may be as well. You may have to go to a Honda dealer to get a replacement HISS key for the ignition and replace the tank lock and key with a used or aftermarket. Just make sure if you buy an aftermarket gas lid, that it has a ventilation hole. Can you post some pictures? It would help us determine your best options. Good luck
Thanks for your response.
To change all locks including the control unit is something I am afraid of. But, at least, I found an ebay seller who provides all locks, the control unit, and two HISS keys. It would cost about 270 €, but if this would be the last possibility I would take this into consideration. Going to a Honda dealer is not so easy due to I have not found one yet. And, Honda itself is not really responsive to my emails.
Tomorrow I will try to get cut a spare key. I hope, it will work with the chip from the original key. But this will be an interim solution only.
What kind of pictures do you think would be interesting to see? From the key?
By the way, does WD40 displace (is this the right word for it) the gasoline in the lock? The lock itself works perfect now.

I wanna die like my grandfather: peaceful asleep... and not panicly screaming like his passenger.

post #4 of 25 Old 04-02-2016, 03:27 PM
Princeps Prior

A picture of the key to see how bad it is? Did you use the Wd40 on the lock? I'm not sure if it evaporates fuel or not. I just know it helps free up the tumblers.

post #5 of 25 Old 04-02-2016, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
A picture of the key to see how bad it is? Did you use the Wd40 on the lock? I'm not sure if it evaporates fuel or not. I just know it helps free up the tumblers.
I have never used WD40 before. I will buy it tomorrow.
At the picture you can see how much it is twisted. Additional, there are cracks on both sides at exact this spot where the key is twisted.

image-2244730910.jpg

post #6 of 25 Old 04-02-2016, 04:57 PM
Princeps Prior

Oh ok. That's pretty bad alright. Well if you can get the key to work one last time and get one cut. This video shows how to program a new Key to the HISS. https://youtu.be/iGWk5oTD6G4

post #7 of 25 Old 04-02-2016, 05:18 PM
Princeps Prior

Here is a kit I found if you don't want to make one yourself. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...256688&alt=web

post #8 of 25 Old 04-02-2016, 05:43 PM
Tesserarius

Do the US models have this HISS you speak of?

post #9 of 25 Old 04-02-2016, 06:03 PM
Princeps Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickr919 View Post
Do the US models have this HISS you speak of?
Looking at the part numbers for the Keys on partzilla I would say no. They use the same key for all years and tons of other bikes going back to the 90s

post #10 of 25 Old 04-02-2016, 08:59 PM
Batman

Quote:

Looking at the part numbers for the Keys on partzilla I would say no. They use the same key for all years and tons of other bikes going back to the 90s
After all the reports on the soft metal, i removed but kept my tank lock, and put in an aftermarket screw tank lock. It wont stop someone from syphoning my gas...but gas is cheaper than a tow because my key broke off and cant start my bike.

Choose as you may.

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #11 of 25 Old 04-02-2016, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Oh ok. That's pretty bad alright. Well if you can get the key to work one last time and get one cut. This video shows how to program a new Key to the HISS. https://youtu.be/iGWk5oTD6G4

Here is a kit I found if you don't want to make one yourself. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...256688&alt=web
Perfect. Another solution. Thanks. This evening I will be smarter, and hopefully I will get cut a key. I will keep you in the loop.

post #12 of 25 Old 04-03-2016, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I got a new key but it does not work. The key is cut perfect, fits to the ignition lock, the cockpit unit lights work but it will not start although the original HISS key is right beside the aftermarket key.
Now I have to wait until I will get an answer from the English ebay seller.

post #13 of 25 Old 04-03-2016, 06:28 AM
Princeps Prior

That's good. Now if you order another key with the chip and have it cut the same. You can program it if your original still works in the ignition. Try touching the metal of the key with the chip you have to the metal of key in the ignition without the chip. Maybe the chip needs a ground. It may start while you do this

post #14 of 25 Old 04-03-2016, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
That's good. Now if you order another key with the chip and have it cut the same. You can program it if your original still works in the ignition. Try touching the metal of the key with the chip you have to the metal of key in the ignition without the chip. Maybe the chip needs a ground. It may start while you do this
Quite good idea, and I tried it. But it does not work. Neither touching the aftermarket key with the originalīs key metal part nor the chip part brought success.
I think, also I would have an aftermarket key with a HISS chip I would have to use my original key at least for one additional time in order to learn the new chip to the ECU.
Any ideas how to straighten a key without break it completely?

By the way, for my tank lock I used some WD40 in the meantime. I am wondering whether this will help.

post #15 of 25 Old 04-03-2016, 06:51 AM
Princeps Prior

Yes you will need the original key one last time for the chip programming. Either put it in a vise or lay it on something flat and carefully hammer it back flat. Hopefully it does not break. Did you try the newly cut key in the tank lock?

post #16 of 25 Old 04-03-2016, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Yes you will need the original key one last time for the chip programming. Either put it in a vise or lay it on something flat and carefully hammer it back flat. Hopefully it does not break. Did you try the newly cut key in the tank lock?
Not yet. Right now it is flooded with WD40.

post #17 of 25 Old 04-03-2016, 07:00 AM
Princeps Prior

Right on. A little goes a long way and it works fast

post #18 of 25 Old 04-03-2016, 07:17 AM
Princeps Prior

Another last resort since you have a key now is to get a ECU from the US. Then you will just need to add a jumper wire to give the power to the ECU. Then you will no longer have the security feature, but at least the bike will run. I found some videos on YouTube if it comes down to that.

post #19 of 25 Old 04-03-2016, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Another last resort since you have a key now is to get a ECU from the US. Then you will just need to add a jumper wire to give the power to the ECU. Then you will no longer have the security feature, but at least the bike will run. I found some videos on YouTube if it comes down to that.
That is very kind. I do appreciate your help. But I am glad having this feature. I do not want to make it too easy for the criminals. I also use a disc brake lock here in Italy every time.
But in case nothing else will work I will think about it.

post #20 of 25 Old 04-04-2016, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Good news regarding my aftermarket key. The engine does start with it.
Apparently I did not hold the original key correctly on the aftermarket key when I tried to start my bike with the aftermarket key yesterday.

I learned that the ring around the ignition lock is the antenna for the HISS (by the way: Honda Ignition Security System). Thus, I put the aftermarket key into the ignition lock, put it to "ON". Cockpit lights glow but the buzzing sound is missing. By the way, due to you need one hand to hold the keys, and the other hand to start the bike, you must shift in neutral. You will get the buzzing sound once you bring the original key into the range of the antenna, and you can start the engine. Subsequent you can remove the original key. But you need it every time in order to start the bike. I enclosed a picture how to hold the keys.
I am still waiting for a response from the English ebay seller to get an aftermarket key which provides the possibility to put the original chip into it.

image-2897120876.jpg

post #21 of 25 Old 04-04-2016, 02:44 PM
Princeps Prior

Sweet

post #22 of 25 Old 07-09-2016, 10:23 AM
Zman

Garage
Did you ever get a answer to wheather U.S. models have the HISS in it ?

I don't think so because mine doesn't have the red flashing light on the dash .
I ask because I bought an ebay aftermarket ignition, fuel tank and seat lock for
about $50 so I don't think it has a chip in the keys.
I will know this winter when I switch them out.

Zman

post #23 of 25 Old 07-09-2016, 11:34 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

The US version does not have the HISS.

post #24 of 25 Old 07-09-2016, 12:31 PM
Zman

Garage
Thanks
I didn't think so because that lower right hand blinking light on dash has never come on like in the video.

Thanks again never hurts to ask.
Zman

post #25 of 25 Old 07-09-2016, 01:48 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Welcome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode