Gas pouring out exhaust - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By mcromo44
  • 1 Post By mcromo44

post #1 of 13 Old 06-04-2017, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Gas pouring out exhaust

I have a 2002 Honda CBR954rr. It sat for 2 years. After changing the battery, i put a small amount of Marvels Miricle Oil in both the gas and oil. It started up fine, but I noticed the tempature wasn't coming up to normal range. I drove down the street and it started loading up. I nursed it back home where it died. I tried to re-start it and gas was pouring out of the exhaust pipe. Do you think the fuel injectors need replaced?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-05-2017, 03:48 AM
Pilus Posterior

You might be able to clean them.

I'd remove all the gas you can from the tank and lines, replace the filter. Add some thin solvent like acetone or something. Remove the FPR or any connection so that you can use the fuel pump to move the solvent thru the system. If you can pump the solvent from the tank to the injectors, do that until it's clean. Check if there is an in tank filter as well.

Once you have the tank/lines flushed, remove the plugs and crank the engine on/off to force the solvent towards the injectors. See if you can get the solvent to pass thru the injectors as it could flush out whatever is in there.

I've seen injectors that have filters at the top of them, check if yours do. Once the solvent is in the injectors, I'd stop cranking for a while and let it break things down. Then come back in an hour or so and crank it some more.

After a few runs of this, put the plugs back in and see how she runs with fresh gas.

Pick the solvent that mixes with gas, I'm not sure which ones do, but some are just like octane boosters.

Don't leave the solvent in there alone for too long, as the tubes probably aren't made for it, but I'd guess a few hours wouldn't hurt.

Another option is to remove the injectors and soak them. I've seen where some have made a pump and applied voltage to the injectors to flush them out.

Maybe some local shop can do that as a service.

post #3 of 13 Old 06-05-2017, 05:19 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

My motto is easiest things first. 2 years sitting with the same gas? It should have gone bad by now. If I had to take a wild guess, that "gas" coming out of the pipe is more water than it is gas. Try getting fresh fuel in the bike and try again,

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

post #4 of 13 Old 06-05-2017, 12:56 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
My motto is easiest things first. 2 years sitting with the same gas? It should have gone bad by now. If I had to take a wild guess, that "gas" coming out of the pipe is more water than it is gas. Try getting fresh fuel in the bike and try again,

For sure, the most simple basics first.
And never begin with prescribing work without having first diagnosed.
As for the fuel, even if there is zero water, the fuel will be missing its lighter constituents.
Two year old fuel is instantly suspect, but not a "for sure".

post #5 of 13 Old 06-05-2017, 03:42 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:

This is the thing he needs to do, I'm suggesting that he go further and flush the system out as much as he can. Including any filters. I think Acetone is thin enough, but I don't know if it'll damage any seals.

At this point, I think he's past a simple fuel change and he really needs a flush out.

post #6 of 13 Old 06-05-2017, 06:12 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
This is the thing he needs to do, I'm suggesting that he go further and flush the system out as much as he can. Including any filters. I think Acetone is thin enough, but I don't know if it'll damage any seals.

At this point, I think he's past a simple fuel change and he really needs a flush out.
Acetone is absolutely vicious nasty stuff that will eat lots of non metallics and degrade many more in short order even if the effect takes a while to manifest itself.
badmoon692008 likes this.

post #7 of 13 Old 06-05-2017, 06:25 PM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Acetone is absolutely vicious nasty stuff that will eat lots of non metallics and degrade many more in short order even if the effect takes a while to manifest itself.
I don't know all the fuel line of the 919, how much is metal and how much is rubber, but it might be best to just use fresh gas to flush things out. IDK if that'll solve a leaky injector.

He's at the point already where he has a very leaky injector.

post #8 of 13 Old 06-05-2017, 06:35 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

How do you know that?

post #9 of 13 Old 06-05-2017, 06:45 PM
McTavish

Quote:
How do you know that?

More likely a failed FPR elastomer element, especially given age of bike and the potential for high ethanol fuel to be an aggravator or perhaps even prime cause - especially if there is any methanol involved (I'm not current if any Tier Low refiners even use any methanol and the needed cosolvents any more)
LDH likes this.

post #10 of 13 Old 06-06-2017, 02:44 AM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
How do you know that?

I thought he said gas was coming out of the exhaust, there's really no other way other than the injector.

post #11 of 13 Old 06-06-2017, 05:12 AM
919 Rider

A failed fuel pressure regulator, FPR, will allow fuel to enter cylinders 2 and 3. The FPR has two hoses which are pushed onto vacuum ports on the throttle bodies adjacent those two cylinders. I believe when a FPR fails an internal rubber is damaged this allows fuel to flow from the fuel return line into those two vacuum hoses and into cylinders 2, 3. Wet, rich plugs in those cylinders are an indicator. There's also a vacuum hose you can check for fuel.

post #12 of 13 Old 06-06-2017, 10:36 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandboy View Post
A failed fuel pressure regulator, FPR, will allow fuel to enter cylinders 2 and 3. The FPR has two hoses which are pushed onto vacuum ports on the throttle bodies adjacent those two cylinders. I believe when a FPR fails an internal rubber is damaged this allows fuel to flow from the fuel return line into those two vacuum hoses and into cylinders 2, 3. Wet, rich plugs in those cylinders are an indicator. There's also a vacuum hose you can check for fuel.
I sense it likely that way more volume of gasoline gets into the cylinders this way than could ever get past a stuck wide open injector or injectors.

post #13 of 13 Old 06-13-2017, 01:35 PM
LDH
Test Rider

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
I sense it likely that way more volume of gasoline gets into the cylinders this way than could ever get past a stuck wide open injector or injectors.

Happened to my F4i just like that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode