Gas coming out of the oil drain plug - Wrist Twisters
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By redline919

post #1 of 27 Old 04-09-2016, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Gas coming out of the oil drain plug

Hey twisters, I have a 2002 919 with about 30k miles. I bought this bike a while bike and am attempting to give it an oil change.

Upon opening the drain plug large amounts of gas drained out. Please advise! I am learning as I go on this bike. So I am at a stand still on my father son project. Replying back ASAP is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Very confused,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-09-2016, 01:26 PM
RIDE RED

Not a good thing. Has it been hard to start? Most likely from being flooded. I would advise changing the oil right away again after a short running period.

post #3 of 27 Old 04-09-2016, 01:44 PM
Princeps Prior

Wouldn't the gas wash the cylinders of its oil? Be careful

post #4 of 27 Old 04-09-2016, 02:09 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Someone sabotage that bike? Oil fill is just right there..

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #5 of 27 Old 04-09-2016, 02:32 PM
RIDE RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
Wouldn't the gas wash the cylinders of its oil? Be careful
Yes and bearings that's why I suggest an oil change again right away

post #6 of 27 Old 04-09-2016, 05:08 PM
Pilus Posterior

What is a "large amount" ? More than a few oz? Something very wrong there either way.

I'd open the drain plug, fill plug and remove the oil filter. The used compressed air to blow thru the system from both the filter and filler port.

IDK how hard it is to remove the oil pan, but that's something to look at too.

I'd get about 3 changes of oil (12 qts?) run 1 thru with just cranking at the start to let it move around, maybe while cranking, leave the filter off and let it come out there. Then with the filter on and then run for a bit and dump it out along with the filter. Move the bike around to get the oil to mix up and then dump it.

See how it smells / looks after that, then repeat. On the last one or two changes, run the bike until warm and move it from side to side to pick up sludge from the top.

Another option is to remove the valve cover and maybe run a cleaner thru it. IDK about SeaFoam or others stuff, but maybe worth a try.

As far as where it came from, I'd look at a dead cyl or EFI leak.

post #7 of 27 Old 04-09-2016, 05:10 PM
Princeps Prior

Yes but starting it with dry cylinders is not a good idea. I thought Rob posted a technique here recently about how to start it when this happens.

post #8 of 27 Old 04-09-2016, 05:39 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

In addition to changing out the oil. I would check the fuel pressure regulator first, since it's been a known issue. Maybe the leak was bad enough that it was dribbling through into #2, #3 cylinders just from the head pressure of the tank.

post #9 of 27 Old 04-09-2016, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Ok guys! First off thanks for the prompt reply and the suggestions. Fuel pressure regulator was replaced. Oil was replaced. Not filter as the plan was to get all the gunk out with regular oil then drain and replace with new filter and synthetic. Ran the bike she started up sounded a lot smoother but after some time at least 7 min she cut off. There is a very small amount of fuel in the tank. Next step is to replace the spark plugs as well as put more fuel in the tank and see where that gets me.

KJ do you think I need to run oil through the bike 3 different times? Will running the bike without the filter cause it to shoot out oil from the filter location? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks again.

Anthony

post #10 of 27 Old 04-10-2016, 05:10 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

A little history on the bike would help people understand where you're at with it.
When was the fuel pressure regulator replaced, and why?
Is this the first time you've run the bike since replacement?
What "gunk" are you referring to in the oil?

and BTW, KarlJay wasn't suggesting to run the bike without the filter, only crank it over and let it flush oil out thru the oil feed. Be prepared to clean up oil for about an hour if you try that, but why would you? You've already run the bike for 7 minutes at this point.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #11 of 27 Old 04-10-2016, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Gas coming out of the oil drain plug

Bike was purchased a few months back which I believe it was just sitting. Based on the smell of gas I decided to replace the fuel pressure regulator. Do an oil change, spark plugs, and flush coolant fluids to get her running properly. I have only finished the first two items on the list. Also there is white smoke with a blue tint coming out of the exhaust. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

post #12 of 27 Old 04-10-2016, 10:11 AM
Princeps Prior

Well if you have bad gas you should drain it out to begin with. Are you sure you installed the FPR correctly? Was it the correct genuine OEM Honda part or aftermarket? Did you replace the o-ring? I would start there since that's the last part you replaced and now it's just dumping fuel into the cylinders. You probably have gas in your oil again since its smoking

post #13 of 27 Old 04-10-2016, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Gas was drain prior to the installation of the fuel pressure regulator her. I will look into the O-ring next. Thanks for your suggestions.

post #14 of 27 Old 04-10-2016, 11:51 AM
Princeps Prior

If you pull the small vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator and it has fuel in it you may have gotten a faulty replacement

post #15 of 27 Old 04-10-2016, 02:33 PM
Discen

Yes, if you start the bike without an oil filter you will regret it. Don't try that. I've seen that happen too many times when a noob forgets the oil filter or double-gasket a filter. You won't enjoy cleaning the mess.

post #16 of 27 Old 04-11-2016, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Upon replacing the original fuel pressure regulator I did notice fuel in the vacum lines. Hopefully the replacement helps. Next item is to get the spark plugs replaced and more fuel in the tank to see if the bike stays running.

Any suggestions on the white smoke coming out of the exhaust would be greatly appreciated. Thank for your help.

post #17 of 27 Old 04-11-2016, 12:28 PM
Discen

White smoke is just condensation.

post #18 of 27 Old 04-11-2016, 12:31 PM
Princeps Prior

Rings
theboom likes this.

post #19 of 27 Old 04-11-2016, 03:00 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Since redline919s and carotmans answers conflict...

If it smells like oil its probably rings. if it smells sweet its probably a head gasket. if it doesn't smell it should go away once the exhaust is up to temp. If it doesn't stop...maybe head gasket and PO was running just water. Could be a buncha things. You need a friend that is into wrenching!

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #20 of 27 Old 04-12-2016, 11:06 AM
Pilus Posterior

What you need is a leak down tester. Right now you don't know the root of the problem and a leak down will tell you what it is.

A compression test would tell you some things, but not as much as a leak down will.

It sounds like a problem with the rings or cracked piston. You might be able to use a temp gauge on each exhaust pipe to see if one isn't firing right, but that wont be a good as a leak down test. Until then, it's mainly just guessing.

IDK any other way of getting gas in the oil.

post #21 of 27 Old 04-30-2016, 08:17 PM
Pilus Posterior

Ok, so what was the outcome of this?

post #22 of 27 Old 05-01-2016, 03:14 AM
oops hurts

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redline919 View Post
Rings
yup

post #23 of 27 Old 05-01-2016, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Ok Guys, I am back at it again. I put some fresh fuel and oil in the bike. Let her run a while to idle. She purrs. Took her out for a quick spin. She road great.

Smoke is still coming from the exhaust. Noticed slight leak in from the bike. Popped open the air filter box and there is oil in the compartment.

Any suggestions? Please reply promptly as today is my window to work on my bike from the wife and would love to make some progress.

Thanks for all your support in helping get this amazing machine back to her original glory.

post #24 of 27 Old 05-01-2016, 03:43 PM
GLG-20

Garage
Did you ever do a compression or leakdown test on the cylinders? I think oil in the airbox points to excessive crankcase pressure, caused by blow-by. You should be able to borrow/rent a tester from a local auto parts store.

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #25 of 27 Old 05-02-2016, 03:39 AM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWP34 View Post

Smoke is still coming from the exhaust. Noticed slight leak in from the bike. Popped open the air filter box and there is oil in the compartment.

Any suggestions?
This was once linked by a forum member to excessive time spent doing wheelies - true story!

Are you a wheely-prone kind of rider yourself? Or was the previous owner?

post #26 of 27 Old 05-02-2016, 07:36 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
This was once linked by a forum member to excessive time spent doing wheelies - true story!

Are you a wheely-prone kind of rider yourself? Or was the previous owner?
Many bikes will have a measure of oil in the airbox after frequent wheelies. I think it has something to do with oil coming up through the crankcase breather when vertical or something like that... I've seen a few videos of guys doing really long wheelies and then smoking for a few miles afterwards burning off all the oil that made it into the airbox

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #27 of 27 Old 05-02-2016, 08:28 AM
Discen

A light amount of oil in the airbox is normal. There's even a catch tube for this.

#8 in the parts fiche
2004 Honda CB900F A AIR CLEANER | Ron Ayers

Clean the air box and check if this comes back

Here's a post about this.
Crankcase Breather - Wrist Twisters

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode