Fuel Pump Troubleshooting: Shop Manual Question - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 34 Old 04-01-2015, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Fuel Pump Troubleshooting: Shop Manual Question

I have a 2002 CB900F (919) whose fuel pump is not priming. I started troubleshooting the issue based on information from the shop manual I have which states "there should be battery voltage for a few seconds" at the 3P connector. Does that mean 12V or just any voltage? I checked the voltage and read 9.7 V at the connector.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 04-01-2015, 08:37 AM
Road Pilot

Garage
Did you also check the fuses, relay connections, and have you taken off the gas tank recently? (Mine didn't prime once and immediately remembered I forgot to reconnect the wires to the pump)
post #3 of 34 Old 04-01-2015, 08:45 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

9.7 is loooow. What voltage is your battery showing?

You should see the same voltage at the 3P.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided

post #4 of 34 Old 04-01-2015, 09:07 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
9.7 does seem waaaay low. I'd check electrical first. If that doesn't seem to be the culprit, I'm pretty sure a bad CPS can cause this behavior. I've not heard of anyone encountering a failed CPS in a 919, though.

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #5 of 34 Old 04-01-2015, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

I should have included that in the original post. The battery is showing over 12.7V. I was reading 12.6 V on two of the fuel pump relay connector terminals.

I should be getting at least 12+V going into the pump, right?

I let the bike sit for a couple of years without the battery. It sat in my garage. As far as the question about removing the tank, I haven't removed it. However, I think I might have to do that to remove the pump and clean up the residue left by the old gas. I did treat the gas before storage.

post #6 of 34 Old 04-01-2015, 12:11 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by celsoglima View Post
I should have included that in the original post. The battery is showing over 12.7V. I was reading 12.6 V on two of the fuel pump relay connector terminals.

I should be getting at least 12+V going into the pump, right?

I let the bike sit for a couple of years without the battery. It sat in my garage. As far as the question about removing the tank, I haven't removed it. However, I think I might have to do that to remove the pump and clean up the residue left by the old gas. I did treat the gas before storage.
Correct, but is it the same battery and was it maintained? The pump will spin at 9v, but it doesn't sound healthy.

Also, toggle the kill switch a bunch of times. That connector is known to get dirty and cause issues.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #7 of 34 Old 04-01-2015, 12:14 PM
Road Pilot

Garage
post #8 of 34 Old 04-01-2015, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I toggled the kill switch a couple of times, but I might need to take it apart to see about that known issue you are referring to. I will take a look at it tonight. The battery has been maintained over the years the bike was parked, but I have already ordered a new battery. For now, I will be working with the existing battery which has enough power to turn the engine. That was good because I replaced the oil and was able to at least turn the engine with the new oil before firing it.

Regarding the fuel pump making any noise, it is not making any noise at all when I turn the ignition on. In fact, I tried to plug it directly into the battery, and all I heard was very light humming sound. I am not sure if that is the correct way to test the pump, though. If I plug the pump directly into a 12 V source, what should I hear? Should I hear the same sound it makes when it primes the fuel system? Or is that sound or the priming process itself dependent on other components in the electrical system?

Right now the tank is empty. I had about 2 gallons of fresh gas in it last night, but I already drained it in anticipation to have to remove the pump.

post #9 of 34 Old 04-01-2015, 01:53 PM
Road Pilot

Garage
Quote:
The battery has been maintained over the years the bike was parked
Didn't realize it was the same battery for "YEARS". I'm 99.9% sure it's your battery.

My dad's 919 was maintained and stored for winter and wouldn't prime the pump. It would "click". Replaced the battery and it fired right up.
post #10 of 34 Old 04-01-2015, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Didn't realize it was the same battery for "YEARS". I'm 99.9% sure it's your battery.

My dad's 919 was maintained and stored for winter and wouldn't prime the pump. It would "click". Replaced the battery and it fired right up.

I hope that will end up being my case. However, I am not experiencing that sequence of clicks that indicates the battery is weak. The existing battery can turn the engine, so I am confused why the fuel pump does not prime. The new battery should be here on Saturday, so I will post an update after I try it.

In the meantime, I am going to start another post on another topic I need help with.

post #11 of 34 Old 04-01-2015, 08:25 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

There is a troubleshooting tree for the fuel pump system here: https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...tml#post222252 post #8. It is pretty comprehensive, and includes a wiring diagram of all related systems.

Good luck.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #12 of 34 Old 04-02-2015, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thank you! I will take a look at it this evening. What you wrote is pretty amazing and comprehensive.

post #13 of 34 Old 04-02-2015, 09:00 AM
Primus Pilus

Garage
Quote:
Thank you! I will take a look at it this evening. What you wrote is pretty amazing and comprehensive.
Welcome to Rob's posts He's the resident technical badass

2002 919 40,000 miles
"racing is life...everything else is just waiting"
post #14 of 34 Old 04-04-2015, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

On step 1 of Rob's fuel pump troubleshooting guide, if I am reading it right, I have to remove the light gray connector from the ECM, correct?

I am having a hard time getting that connector unplugged even after taking down most of the tail end, and that is a wire connector I don't want to damage. Thus I started with step 2 just to see what I get.

In step 2 I was able to read 12V at the black/white wire on the fuel relay. Would it be safe to assume that step 1 is validated as well? Or could that be one of those false positive scenarios?

post #15 of 34 Old 04-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
On step 1 of Rob's fuel pump troubleshooting guide, if I am reading it right, I have to remove the light gray connector from the ECM, correct?

I am having a hard time getting that connector unplugged even after taking down most of the tail end, and that is a wire connector I don't want to damage. Thus I started with step 2 just to see what I get.

In step 2 I was able to read 12V at the black/white wire on the fuel relay. Would it be safe to assume that step 1 is validated as well? Or could that be one of those false positive scenarios?
The connectors can be left plugged in, and in many cases they have to be. Step 1 tests the signal from the Pink wire from the ignition switch which is a voltage somewhat less than battery voltage the ECU looks for before it initializes and primes the fuel system. The pins on the ECU can be back probed by working the positive test lead between the connector body and the rubber seal around the wire. A little lubrication on the probe will help. In this case it does have to be plugged in to get a valid reading.

Rob

On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------
post #16 of 34 Old 04-04-2015, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I finally got it unplugged since I didn't have a probe thin enough go through the wire end. I was able to get 11.03 V.

Unfortunately I made a mistake and the statement I made in my previous post that I was getting 12V at the black/white wire for the fuel pump relay was not true. I got sidetracked with something else, and I made a mistake I realized later on.

You state in the first line of your troubleshooting guideline that we have be very methodical, and I dropped the ball on that one!!!!

Anyway I am stepping away from it for now until I get in a "methodical mode". However, my preliminary suspicion is the relay itself.

post #17 of 34 Old 04-05-2015, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I think I finally followed the troubleshooting instructions like they were intended to be followed. Now I need help understanding something else. I got passed step 1 and step 2. In step 2 I was actually reading 12V at the black/white wire on the fuel cut relay. I thought I was wrong earlier when I realized the fuel relay on my bike was not the one in the middle, but the one closer to the turn signal relay. The relay in the middle position was the fan control relay which also has a black/white wire.

In step 3 I am getting 0V at the brown wire which took me to the next step to test the brown/black wire. I read +12V (way over the expected 6V max) at that brown/black wire which indicates an issue with the grounding from the ECU. Is the statement about a possible poor connection referring to the connector for the ECU or a connector somewhere else?

post #18 of 34 Old 04-05-2015, 11:54 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
In step 3 I am getting 0V at the brown wire which took me to the next step to test the brown/black wire. I read +12V (way over the expected 6V max) at that brown/black wire which indicates an issue with the grounding from the ECU. Is the statement about a possible poor connection referring to the connector for the ECU or a connector somewhere else?
The 3 volts or less at the Brown/Black wire will be there for only the 2 to 3 seconds after the key is turned on, so make sure to have the test probes in place before turning on the key. During those first few seconds the voltage reading should be quite low, but after that it will read battery voltage. If it never gives the low voltage reading ground the Brown/Black wire at the relay with the key on: this should activate the fuel pump. If it does try to start the motor. If it starts the problem is either the transistor in the ECU that grounds the coil in the fuel cut relay may have burned out, there is a poor connection either in the ECU Black plug or at the relay, or the wire may be broken somewhere in the harness (usually indicated by a chafed spot on the harness wrapping) -- there are no intervening connectors between the ECU and the relay. This, of course, assumes both the connectors are plugged into the ECU and seated properly!

Welcome to the wonderful world of fuel injection troubleshooting!

Rob

------- Rob --------
post #19 of 34 Old 04-06-2015, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
.... If it never gives the low voltage reading ground the Brown/Black wire at the relay with the key on: this should activate the fuel pump. ...
Just to make sure I am understanding this correctly. I will do that with relay plugged into the connector, right? And all I have to do is to insert a probe into the back of the connector and touch the other end of the probe wire to a bolt in the chassis or a ground/green wire. Is that correct?

I know that brown/black wire comes straight from the ECU, so I want to make sure I don't screw this up.

post #20 of 34 Old 04-06-2015, 10:46 AM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Just to make sure I am understanding this correctly. I will do that with relay plugged into the connector, right? And all I have to do is to insert a probe into the back of the connector and touch the other end of the probe wire to a bolt in the chassis or a ground/green wire. Is that correct?

I know that brown/black wire comes straight from the ECU, so I want to make sure I don't screw this up.
Correct. Grounding the wire will not effect the ECU in any way.

Rob

------- Rob --------
post #21 of 34 Old 04-06-2015, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

When I got home this evening I started over and seem to have gotten the correct numbers and some other interesting findings. I checked the voltages for only the first 2-3 seconds after turning the ignition key on. The check was performed with and without the fuel pump connected to the wire harness.

With the fuel pump unplugged:
- relay connector: 12.5V (Brown) and 0 V (Brown/Black)
- pump connector: 12.5v (Brown) and 11.6 V (Brown/Black)

With the fuel pump plugged in:
- relay connector: 10.5V (Brown) and 0V (Brown/Black)
- pump connector: 10V (Brown) and 10V (Brown/Black)

Not sure if this is relevant. The continuity test between the relay connector and the fuel pump relay read 0 Ohm for the brown wire and 4.8K Ohm for brown/black wire. I know the brown/black wire goes all over the place, so that number might have no meaning in the context of this test.

Also, I forgot to mention that all those tests were performed with an empty fuel tank. I drained the gas assuming I will have to remove the pump, so I haven't put any gas back in. Grounding the brown/black wire didn't do anything aside from clicks on the relay(s).

post #22 of 34 Old 04-07-2015, 02:58 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
When I got home this evening I started over and seem to have gotten the correct numbers and some other interesting findings. I checked the voltages for only the first 2-3 seconds after turning the ignition key on. The check was performed with and without the fuel pump connected to the wire harness.

With the fuel pump unplugged:
- relay connector: 12.5V (Brown) and 0 V (Brown/Black)
- pump connector: 12.5v (Brown) and 11.6 V (Brown/Black) Low fuel sensor: no relevance to this test.

With the fuel pump plugged in:
- relay connector: 10.5V (Brown) and 0V (Brown/Black)
- pump connector: 10V (Brown) and 10V (Brown/Black)

Not sure if this is relevant. The continuity test between the relay connector and the fuel pump relay read 0 Ohm for the brown wire and 4.8K Ohm for brown/black wire. I know the brown/black wire goes all over the place, so that number might have no meaning in the context of this test.

Also, I forgot to mention that all those tests were performed with an empty fuel tank. I drained the gas assuming I will have to remove the pump, so I haven't put any gas back in. Grounding the brown/black wire didn't do anything aside from clicks on the relay(s).
From the readings you posted it sounds like the fuel pump is seized, and judging by the voltage drop between the pump unplugged / plugged in tests (2 volt difference) the Green wire is properly grounded. Wish I had better news.

Rob

------- Rob --------
post #23 of 34 Old 04-07-2015, 05:51 PM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Sitting for more than six months with our current ethanol-laced gasoline can cause fuel pumps to gum up and seize. Sounds like this is what happened.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #24 of 34 Old 04-07-2015, 07:16 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by robtharalson View Post
From the readings you posted it sounds like the fuel pump is seized, and judging by the voltage drop between the pump unplugged / plugged in tests (2 volt difference) the Green wire is properly grounded. Wish I had better news.

Rob
I would have to agree with this assessment. The fuel pump may or may not be salvageable, but usually it isn't worth it beyond the basic mechanical test.

You can pick up a used fuel pump for a decent price on ebay if you're willing to gamble, or pick up a brand new unit.

post #25 of 34 Old 04-07-2015, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I am going to remove the pump and see what I can salvage. In the meantime, if the pump needs to be replaced, I noticed that Honda dealerships only sell the whole assembly which costs between $300-$400, and online I might pay around $300. What are my other aside from trying to find a used one?

I came across a seller on eBay who is selling the pump unit by itself. The store claims the pump can be replaced by itself. The price is too low for comfort, so I am a bit suspicious of that particular pump brand. However, I would like to consider that route if there are other options out there.

Has anybody been able to replace just the pump and other individual components without replacing the whole assembly?

post #26 of 34 Old 04-07-2015, 08:05 PM

Garage
Usually the fuel pump lasts forever on a 919 - unless it's sat for a long time while submerged in ethanol-laced gasoline. Buying a used assembly is a pretty safe bet.

2002 Honda 919
post #27 of 34 Old 04-07-2015, 08:37 PM
Road Pilot

Garage
post #28 of 34 Old 04-08-2015, 06:50 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
I am going to remove the pump and see what I can salvage. In the meantime, if the pump needs to be replaced, I noticed that Honda dealerships only sell the whole assembly which costs between $300-$400, and online I might pay around $300. What are my other aside from trying to find a used one?

I came across a seller on eBay who is selling the pump unit by itself. The store claims the pump can be replaced by itself. The price is too low for comfort, so I am a bit suspicious of that particular pump brand. However, I would like to consider that route if there are other options out there.

Has anybody been able to replace just the pump and other individual components without replacing the whole assembly?
Me: IIRC $70 return unit, pump only. I posted here about it. That was over 18mp ago, as far as I know that bike is still on the road.

post #29 of 34 Old 04-08-2015, 07:17 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Err uhh make that $70 refurb unit.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...9-a-33629.html

post #30 of 34 Old 04-08-2015, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for the info. I will work on the bike over the weekend and get a list of everything I will have to buy.

post #31 of 34 Old 04-11-2015, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Just removed the fuel pump from the tank and wantto post a picture for reference.

The picture says it all!!!! :-)

post #32 of 34 Old 04-11-2015, 12:12 PM
GLG-20

Garage
Nice! Be careful when tightening the new one on the tank. I've read that the studs can break pretty easily.

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #33 of 34 Old 04-11-2015, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Something completely unexpected just happened. It is sort of good though! I tapped around the pump casing lightly with the handle of my screw driver and the pump itself is now working. It is like Rob said it was seized/stuck. I had already taken the assembly apart to clean it up when I decided to tap the pump, and in the process I broke the fuel return tube. It didn't take much to break it.

What is the recommendation as far as rebuilding this assembly since I already have it taken apart? Just the tubes/lines and fuel filter in addition to the main/base gasket?

post #34 of 34 Old 04-11-2015, 02:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Something completely unexpected just happened. It is sort of good though! I tapped around the pump casing lightly with the handle of my screw driver and the pump itself is now working. It is like Rob said it was seized/stuck. I had already taken the assembly apart to clean it up when I decided to tap the pump, and in the process I broke the fuel return tube. It didn't take much to break it.

What is the recommendation as far as rebuilding this assembly since I already have it taken apart? Just the tubes/lines and fuel filter in addition to the main/base gasket?
That pump isn't reliable at this point, if it's seized up - make sure you replace it.

Also make sure you get all the ethanol residue out of it.

2002 Honda 919

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode