Fuel filter? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 29 Old 05-28-2011, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Why not?

Fuel filter?

I am having a bit of a brain fart right now. what is the diameter of the nipple of the 919 fuel filter, or what is the fuel hose size? i believe that it is 1/4 or is it a 3/8?
thanks all

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-28-2011, 08:31 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
I am having a bit of a brain fart right now. what is the diameter of the nipple of the 919 fuel filter, or what is the fuel hose size? i believe that it is 1/4 or is it a 3/8?
thanks all
Careful.
I'd go factory Honda for the part.
It is inside the fuel tank, so dimensions are critical beyond just nipple sizing.
Either that, or get it apart and then try to find something that will work, BUT that is serious grief for a fuel filter.

post #3 of 29 Old 05-29-2011, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Why not?

This winter i, like many of you had my bike apart to do little projects and to clean the bike up. during the winter i moved while in the middle of changing my fuel filter out and i misplaced one of the fuel lines...

the reason for the filter change was because the bike was running a little rough, as i pulled the old filter it was pretty clogged up.
so yesterday during some free time i replaced the fuel filter and the problem that i was having still there.
1. the bike runs a little rough at idle when i first start the bike.
2.during a cold start when i give the throttle a good twist the response is a little slow till the bike has been run for a little bit.
3. when i took the bike down the road after the filter change the bike would surge a little at lower revs and when i would go WOT the bike would loose all power and the FI light would come on and the bike would die 50% of the time.

today i looked to see if there were any codes in the memory. there were not any logged.
i looked through most of the wiring i still have a little to go over and i have not been able to find any corrosion or cracked or worn wires.
i pulled the vacuum hose on the FPR and it did not seem to be wet (the bike has been sitting since yesterday).

if it were the Map sensor or the TPS i should be getting a code right?
any input would be appreciated.

i have my boards coming up this Thursday so i do not have a ton of extra time on my hands and have not for a while so all i can do is think about what it could be while i study. it sucks.

post #4 of 29 Old 05-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Le So Cal Troll

clogged or sticky injectors? have u ran some injector cleaner through the system?

post #5 of 29 Old 05-29-2011, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
clogged or sticky injectors? have u ran some injector cleaner through the system?
Not this season.
i will give that i try, but i do not think that it is an injector. if it were an injector wouldnt the problem be a constant, this occurs 90% of the time or so it is does not occur 100% of the time

post #6 of 29 Old 05-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Princeps Prior

a little seafoam might help. that stuff is great

post #7 of 29 Old 05-29-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Why not?

I pulled plugs 2 and 3 and they are not fouled. ???

post #8 of 29 Old 05-30-2011, 06:06 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Bad coil?

post #9 of 29 Old 05-31-2011, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Why not?

While in my search for the possible issue my bike is having i found on the fireblades forum that the 93 accord runs the same FPR that our bike does (it may not be the same but it is a perfect fit according to the members over there) thought that was very interesting. what are your thoughts?
i am a little skeptical about actually putting it on a bike.

post #10 of 29 Old 05-31-2011, 08:36 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Our Altima takes the same oil filter, but not sure I would do the FPR, unless it shares a part number.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #11 of 29 Old 05-31-2011, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post
Our Altima takes the same oil filter, but not sure I would do the FPR, unless it shares a part number.
i agree with you, i would not place it on my bike.
I was only wondering what everyones thoughts were? there is only a 20 dollar difference and to me that is not worth possibly screwing my bike over.
the tensions of the springs and thickness of the diaphragms could be different causing a difference in fuel delivery.

post #12 of 29 Old 06-09-2011, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Why not?

So today i went through almost all of the fuel injection trouble shooting section in the manual. everything is checking out as it should according to the manual. can a fuel pump cause problems on and off as it is going out?
any help would be appreciated.

post #13 of 29 Old 06-10-2011, 03:11 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

The pump is a DC otor, I've seen plenty of intermittent failures of small DC motors at work.

post #14 of 29 Old 06-17-2011, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Why not?

I ordered a new fuel pump and installed it, the bikes idle has now smoothed out and the bike is not surging at low rpms. however when the bike is cold and i start the bike and flick the throttle the pike sputters. when i take the bike out it runs fine till i hit the throttle hard and the Fi light comes on and i lose power.
i also have run about half a tank of injector cleaner through it and that may have smoothed out the idle.
this is becoming very frustrating.
if a valves clearance is off could it cause the bike to react this way?
i am almost out of ideas of what to check.

post #15 of 29 Old 06-25-2011, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Why not?

I was able to tear into the bike again today. i let the bike idle for a while and let things warm up. i checked the temp on the exhaust and it seemed that 2, 3 and 4 where a little cooler than 1. so i pulled the plugs and found that 3 and 4 were a little wet. they are not in bad shape.
here are the plugs, what do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2150011.jpg (107.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg P2150013.jpg (89.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg P2150014.jpg (58.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg P2150015.jpg (61.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg P2150016.jpg (56.6 KB, 1 views)

post #16 of 29 Old 06-25-2011, 07:18 PM
Le So Cal Troll

those plugs look BLACK. have you replaced the FPR, cus man that looks like a SUPER rich condition. the center insulation around the main electrode should be a light brownish color.

post #17 of 29 Old 06-25-2011, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Why not?

Quote:
those plugs look BLACK. have you replaced the FPR, cus man that looks like a SUPER rich condition. the center insulation around the main electrode should be a light brownish color.
No not yet i am going to order one this week, i am thinking that the fpr has a small hole in it. i have never seen any fuel in the vacuum line though i did smell some once after a relatively long ride.

post #18 of 29 Old 06-25-2011, 07:53 PM
Le So Cal Troll

its gotta be the fpr... the 2 and 3 plugs look SUPER black (gettin a lil extra fuel from a pinhole) and the 1 n 4 look way to black (caused by the pinhole which makes the fuel system have too much pressure due to the less vacuum which inturn pushed more fuel out the injectors each squirt)

just now pulled this outta number 1 cylinder on my 919... just rolled over 13k mi... factory original plugs. and i guarantee thats what they all look like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0066.JPG (106.8 KB, 3 views)

post #19 of 29 Old 06-25-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Why not?

I hooked up my mityvac to the FPR and pumped it up to -20in hg. and lost about 2in in one minute. however it did not pull any fuel through the line.
so, i do loose vacuum pressure but i do not know if it is the fpr or simply the mityvac looses pressure.
but you are right the cylinder conditions are very rich.
shouldnt i be pulling fuel through the vacuum hose?

post #20 of 29 Old 06-25-2011, 11:44 PM
Le So Cal Troll

check the mityvac with something that can not loose pressure to make sure the vac itself is accurate.

then check the vac lines to the fpr, i would also try n use a clear tube (so you can see) on the fpr, apply some vacuum, then turn the key on so the pump primes, fuel will have a better chance of leakin out if its pressurized... and even if it doesnt, and ur mityvac is accurate and doesnt leak down itself, and the tube being used is known to not have any leaks, then theres only one spot the air can come from is the fpr.

post #21 of 29 Old 06-26-2011, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Why not?

Quote:
check the mityvac with something that can not loose pressure to make sure the vac itself is accurate.

then check the vac lines to the fpr, i would also try n use a clear tube (so you can see) on the fpr, apply some vacuum, then turn the key on so the pump primes, fuel will have a better chance of leakin out if its pressurized... and even if it doesnt, and ur mityvac is accurate and doesnt leak down itself, and the tube being used is known to not have any leaks, then theres only one spot the air can come from is the fpr.
Did this last night and i wasnt able to get the mityvac to loose pressure.
the lines are clear that i have been using and i have not seen any fuel.
i know fairly well how the FPR works but i need to be schooled a little more on the topic.

i know that the fpr has a fuel hose running to it and a vacuum on the other side. when the engine is turned on the vacuum created by the valves that travels through the vacuum lines begins to pull on the diaphragm. when the diaphragm move (for lack of better terms) a valve opens and allows gas to flow at a specific rate. this is where i may need the schooling...
if a greater vacuum pressure is made then more fuel is allowed to flow to the engine?
so when i take the vacuum line completely off the fpr the throttle become crisp again i flick the throttle and the engine will rev, their is not any hesitation, but when i put the vacuum line back on the throttle becomes very sluggish.
so what is the voodoo involved with the frp that would cause this?
thanks all

post #22 of 29 Old 06-26-2011, 07:52 AM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Did this last night and i wasnt able to get the mityvac to loose pressure.
the lines are clear that i have been using and i have not seen any fuel.
i know fairly well how the FPR works but i need to be schooled a little more on the topic.

i know that the fpr has a fuel hose running to it and a vacuum on the other side. when the engine is turned on the vacuum created by the valves that travels through the vacuum lines begins to pull on the diaphragm. when the diaphragm move (for lack of better terms) a valve opens and allows gas to flow at a specific rate. this is where i may need the schooling...
if a greater vacuum pressure is made then more fuel is allowed to flow to the engine?
so when i take the vacuum line completely off the fpr the throttle become crisp again i flick the throttle and the engine will rev, their is not any hesitation, but when i put the vacuum line back on the throttle becomes very sluggish.
so what is the voodoo involved with the frp that would cause this?
thanks all
the fpr works like this... high vacuum, low pressure, low vacuum high pressure.. simply because at idle there will be more vacuum than there will be at WOT.

post #23 of 29 Old 06-26-2011, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Why not?

i did some reading and have a better understanding on the fpr now and know that my thinking was backwards on the matter.
when i take the vacuum off of the fpr there is no vacuum and the the diaphragm is completely closed thus no fuel will be returning to tank and when i hit the throttle the engine will have all of the fuel it needs.
why would a hole in the diaphragm cause a sluggish throttle?

post #24 of 29 Old 06-26-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Why not?

i double checked the vacuum that i put on the FPR and now it is not dropping left the mityvac on for several hours and it did not drop.

post #25 of 29 Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 AM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
i double checked the vacuum that i put on the FPR and now it is not dropping left the mityvac on for several hours and it did not drop.
hmm... wonder if you got a vacuum leak somwhere else, i know the FPR connects to a 4 way T two of which go to cylinders 2 n 3, and the other goes to the flapper.

post #26 of 29 Old 06-27-2011, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Why not?

I was in the process of checking all of the vacuum hoses and decided to remove the air cleaner cover and found a little oil pooling by the gasket, and the bottom of the airbox was a little wet with oil. it was not a ton and it is only on the bottom.
i have never noticed it before, but then i have not looked for it while removing the air filter to clean it.
is this normal?
i couldnt find the origin of the oil.

post #27 of 29 Old 06-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
I was in the process of checking all of the vacuum hoses and decided to remove the air cleaner cover and found a little oil pooling by the gasket, and the bottom of the airbox was a little wet with oil. it was not a ton and it is only on the bottom.
i have never noticed it before, but then i have not looked for it while removing the air filter to clean it.
is this normal?
i couldnt find the origin of the oil.
Sounds normal and most likely from the crankcase vent. Mine always has a little bit of oil in it. There is a drain that is supposed to be cleaned out if there is oil in it every so often. It's a little sealed off piece of clear tubing.

post #28 of 29 Old 06-28-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Why not?

I think that Molly is feeling better. over the past few days as time has permitted i striped the bike down to the frame. checked things over and over again. i then put the bike back together after finding nothing, and fired it up. the bike was running fine. i then took her out and flogged her. the bike ran flawlessly. so all i can figure is that one of the ground wires loose or a line was being kinked.
only time will tell if the problem is truly fixed.

post #29 of 29 Old 06-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Le So Cal Troll

it coulda also been a pinched return line causing the rich condition.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode