Front LED blinker help - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 03-31-2013, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Front LED blinker help

Hi everyone. I just installed front led blinkers but now they wont blink. I have triple checked the wiring and I am not sure what is going on. Last year when I installed my CustomLED taillight I also replaced the stock blinker relay to fix the fast blink, so I was thinking that it would work for the front blinkers as well, but I guess not. The blinkers light up as running lights but when I engage either left or right, that particular blinker just turns off. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-31-2013, 01:27 PM
Toll Runner

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

How did you wire the blinkers up, did they have 2 or 3 wires.

post #3 of 7 Old 03-31-2013, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

The aftermarket blinkers came with three wires: red, black, and green. The OEM blinkers had orange, orange with white, and green. I attached the red to the orange/white, black to orange, and green to green.

post #4 of 7 Old 03-31-2013, 02:14 PM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Green is ground in Honda's wiring world. Orange is left turn signal power, orange with white stripe is left running light power. Light blue is right turn signal power, light blue with white stripe is right running light power.

Most of the aftermarket stuff runs like this - red for power, black for ground. On a three wire light, I would assume red for turn signal power, black for ground, green for running light power.

Bottom line: You have them hooked up wrong. For the left one, you need to connect red to orange, black to green and green to orange/white. On the right, red to light blue, black to green, green to blue/white.

I would suggest in future that you carefully research what wire goes to what - it is entirely possible to start an electrical fire by hooking up stuff wrong. Hope you didn't short out your flasher relay.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919
post #5 of 7 Old 03-31-2013, 04:27 PM
Tirone

Hook up a test light and double check your connections.
Hook it up to a ground or negative terminal and turn the key on and test the wires.. the running light should be constant illuminated on the test light and then try the other and activate the turn signal, should flash on the test light.
I had to do this for my CustomLED tail, either the instructions were wrong (dont have them anymore to double check) but the wires ended up backwards.

post #6 of 7 Old 03-31-2013, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Great, thank you CB700S! That was exactly the issue. I don't think I would have ever figured that out and I also have no idea why I thought I had it hooked up correctly in the first place.

post #7 of 7 Old 04-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Tesserarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkin88 View Post
Hook up a test light and double check your connections.
Hook it up to a ground or negative terminal and turn the key on and test the wires.. the running light should be constant illuminated on the test light and then try the other and activate the turn signal, should flash on the test light.
I had to do this for my CustomLED tail, either the instructions were wrong (dont have them anymore to double check) but the wires ended up backwards.
This is what did when I installed mine. Same process for the rear integrated light.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode