front fork component replacements - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 05-09-2015, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

front fork component replacements

Hey guys. I managed to find a pair of fork seal kits and upper bushings. The parts guy was very friendly and knowledgeable, mentioned that I may or may not need the lower bushings and won't know until I tear into them and can look at them.

Anyone ever have to replace the lower bushings? I can either not get them and tear into them again if I need to at another time or I can drive an hour 1 way to another shop that has them on the shelf.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-09-2015, 05:33 PM
notsowisecracker

I just had mine apart a week ago to replace a seal that had leaked off and on again since I bought the bike.

I don't know how many miles you got on your bike Pvster, or how you tell if the bushing is worn.
I had approx. 12,000 on mine and just guessed it probably didn't need replaced.

The lower bushing just pops into a groove in the lower fork tube. Super simple on and off.

If you've got a bunch of miles, and the're cheap enough, i'd be really tempted to just replace them.

post #3 of 12 Old 05-09-2015, 07:54 PM
Le So Cal Troll

if you are taking the forks apart to that point. Replace both bushings on the lower fork tube and upper. The bushings are cheap and super easy to replace while your there.

This is assuming we are talking about the 9er forks which only have 2 main bushings.

If we are talking about something like a dual chamber cartridge fork there is at least one or two more bushings in the inner cartridge.

post #4 of 12 Old 05-10-2015, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Sadly I didn't make it to the other dealership in time. So I'll be tearing them apart again on another day. For now I will have to just hope the lower bushings are in decent enough shape to get me by.

post #5 of 12 Old 05-10-2015, 09:26 AM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Sadly I didn't make it to the other dealership in time. So I'll be tearing them apart again on another day. For now I will have to just hope the lower bushings are in decent enough shape to get me by.
more than likely it is so long as you had decent oil in the forks, those PTFE bushings last a long time.

post #6 of 12 Old 05-10-2015, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Well, got hit with a bit of bad luck. Both bushings look decent, the important surface areas look good but there were some scoring on the inside of the bushings which puzzled me. As I worked through the first fork I didn't see much.

Cracking open the second fork immediately looked bad. The plastic rod guide was split completely in half. The fork seal had white corrosion on the inside of the seal and the lower seal/lock ring was completely caked in white corrosion. This warranted closer examination and saw that the top of the plastic rod housing was chipped which led me to looking at the first fork. My fears were confirmed, the plastic rod housing also had chipped pieces but worse, which leads me to think that contributed to the sudden and immediate failure.

Interestingly enough, the other fork had clear signs of dry rot going on, covered in the white corrosion, but had no leaks. Granted, it was just a matter of time.

So now I have to cage it tomorrow and hope I can source the plastic bits in addition to the lower bushings. I'm baffled as to what led to the deterioration of the plastic bits. Age, mileage? I know the forks have at least 35k miles that I put on it, no idea how many miles were on it before I got them.

post #7 of 12 Old 05-10-2015, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Adding pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20150510_160159.jpg (87.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20150510_160217.jpg (74.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20150510_160235.jpg (95.4 KB, 38 views)

post #8 of 12 Old 05-10-2015, 08:29 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Ah, that sucks dude. Downtime to fix broken stuff... .

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #9 of 12 Old 05-11-2015, 02:11 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Wouldn't the fracturing of plastic have to come from impact? I imagine enough small vibration could do it over a long enough time, but it seems to work more as a retainer/guide.

If you bought the bike used, it could have been from a front impact and/or a slight bend in the forks.

If you examine it, you might notice wear or being out of round.

Maybe even a slight out of round or bend in the forks could cause too much heat / friction which could have caused a stress crack.

It could also be the case that these same conditions caused water or something to get in there.

post #10 of 12 Old 05-11-2015, 04:49 AM
GLG-20

Garage
Those kind of look like aftermarket spring guides (not sure of the proper name). They are used to help keep the springs from scraping against the insides of the fork tubes. If I'm right, and if all of the OEM parts are still there, you shouldn't even need them.

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #11 of 12 Old 05-11-2015, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
Those kind of look like aftermarket spring guides (not sure of the proper name). They are used to help keep the springs from scraping against the insides of the fork tubes. If I'm right, and if all of the OEM parts are still there, you shouldn't even need them.
You are correct, they are spring guides. Got them from Racetech. I was disappointed in the sad shape they were in. I will be calling Racetech to see what the deal is.

post #12 of 12 Old 05-11-2015, 12:48 PM
GLG-20

Garage
I had thought about getting some when I did my f4i forks, but ended up not getting them. How long since you installed them? Agree that it's disappointing to see them fail like that.

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode