Front end "clunk" - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 23 Old 07-16-2016, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Front end "clunk"

It's been doing this for a while. Sometimes when I release my front brake, I'll feel a "thunk." Usually only when I release the lever fast. Usually only feel it at low speeds as well. Pretty sure my head bearings are fine and the calipers are tight as far as I can feel with my hand. Sometimes it "thunks" harder, sometimes lighter, sometimes not at all. It didn't always do this but I'm not sure when it started. Not sure where to go from here, other than to ask for help. Any ideas on what I could check?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 07-16-2016, 08:55 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Mine has "thunked" pulling into my driveway since day one, never have been able to track down the gremlin

Dan
post #3 of 23 Old 07-16-2016, 09:27 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooridr View Post
Mine has "thunked" pulling into my driveway since day one, never have been able to track down the gremlin
That was just a gauge bubble popping

post #4 of 23 Old 07-16-2016, 11:11 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Most likely, or maybe even the exhaust hanger smacking on the frame

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Dan
post #5 of 23 Old 07-20-2016, 02:10 PM
Tirone

I just got my 919 last week and it has a decent clunk going over bumps, I took it to the mechanic and they said the steering head bearings need to be replaced

post #6 of 23 Old 07-20-2016, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Hopefully mine are just loose. I'm pretty sure it's what the noise is

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

post #7 of 23 Old 07-24-2016, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

It's not bad bearings. It's coming from within my forks. I'll record it and maybe one of you guys can help me identify it before I send it to a shop

post #8 of 23 Old 07-24-2016, 06:37 PM
The Cripple

Do you have any aftermarket springs in there? You can open up your fork tubes (unload the front suspension) and peek inside. Take out the spacer and the spring to see what's up.

post #9 of 23 Old 07-24-2016, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

I thought I had to drop the tubes from the triple to open them up. Everything is oem at the moment, but I'm seriously looking into getting stiffer Springs and revalving. Other thing I've noticed is that when I have no weight on the forks, there's a little bit "play" in the forks. As in - slightly less resistance in the first inch of travel. Oil has never been replaced and I've been working the forks pretty hard lately. How exactly would I go about "peeking" inside my fork tunes if I may ask?

post #10 of 23 Old 07-24-2016, 10:25 PM
The Cripple

Sounds like you may be bottoming out your front forks then.

You can loosen the top cap with the tubes still in the triple and take out the springs. Again, be sure to unload the front suspension.

Depending on the year, you might have a fork tube oil drain on the bottom of your fork. You should drain and measure how much came out. you're likely too low and/or the oil is in horrid shape, allowing you to bottom out. hence the clunk.

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...hed-25230.html

post #11 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

It's not bottoming out

here's a video

post #12 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 08:41 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
It's not bottoming out

here's a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNIK19MQPGU
Not in the video, but it'll definitely bottom out on a big bump. You've either lost too much oil and/ or the oil has degraded and lost all viscosity. You shouldn't be able to move the forks that much so easily just by sitting on it and rocking it.

post #13 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

I just took a look at my buddies forks that don't click, and everything is exactly the same except his don't click. (By the way, I was standing off the side of the bike and rocking it with all my might, not sitting on it and simply leaning on the forks) Obviously I need to take the forks apart, so I might as well take it to a suspension shop and have the front and rear suspension rebuilt for my more performance oriented riding. Thanks for the tips, I'll update when I fix the problem

post #14 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 09:17 AM
GLG-20

Garage
Agree with PV, but to add on, it seems like the spacers may have been cut too short; not enough, if any, installed preload. You definitely need to open them up.

I'd loosen the top triple fork clamps before trying to loosen the fork caps. It would be worth buying some springs for your weight if you are going to be in there anyway.

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #15 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 11:06 AM
Milites Gregarius

Whats that in the background? PK Ripper?

post #16 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

it's my bmx bike for shredding trails lol

post #17 of 23 Old 07-25-2016, 10:17 PM
The Cripple

Again, they are bottoming out. I'm not sure why you don't believe me. Super brings up a good point: you might have spacers cut too short and/or little to no preload. You should not be able to move the forks tubes anywhere near that much, and so easily. You think you're pushing down with all of your might off to side, but the load placed on the suspension while at speed are far far greater. Further proof that you are bottoming out is the fact that you're getting that sound every time you fully collapse the tubes. A deaf guy can hear the "clack clack" in your youtube video and it sounds just like when he had the same problem. Yes, I'm deaf, and yes I'm telling you I can hear it. If I can hear it, then it's loud, and it's obvious.

I suspect that your oil has turned to beyond useless (same as your friend's) and is giving zero resistance to the internal damping rods moving. The forks themselves are very simple. You can do the work yourself with the info available on the forum. The front forks don't need to be rebuild. You need to drain that old crud out of there, which you can easily do with the forks still in the triple and pump the oil out, by extending and collapsing the fork tubes. Once you've drained everything, you can flush it out using new fork oil and then put in new fork oil. You'll get a world of difference immediately. Stock 919 forks are not worth building up beyond the fork oil and spring replacement, which are very easy to do. The rear shock is beyond useless.

post #18 of 23 Old 07-27-2016, 07:13 PM
McTavish

Quote:
It's not bad bearings. It's coming from within my forks. I'll record it and maybe one of you guys can help me identify it before I send it to a shop

Not meaning to be harsh, pure brevity on my part.
"I don't think it's steering head bearings"
"I hope it's not steering heard bearings"
"It's not steering head bearings"
Says who, and on what basis, and IF someone checked, did they get the front wheel off the ground with the forks off, and check? And that is the ONLY way to properly check, and reset the bearings if necessary.
Properly prove the steering head bearings are an issue or not.
IF they are an issue, fix that first.
Regardless, remove the fork cartridges, clean and flush them and the legs and tubes, inspect all parts, put in new oil to proper level.
Then check again.
IF still a clunk, remove the brake calipers and check again. (although loss of front brake makes jouncing the front end more difficult)

How many miles on bike?
If real high mileage, the bushings and sleeves could be beyond service limit and excessive clearance resulting.
If you suspect this, then the tubes have to be removed from legs which means the upper bushing will drive out the fork seal as the tube is removed.

I listened to the video, you got good sound recorded.
What I heard sounded that it could be steering head related.

post #19 of 23 Old 07-27-2016, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

I had the wheel off the ground, the bearings felt mint. Couldn't get any clicks no matter how hard I tried with the wheel off the ground. I'm pretty confident it's coming from my forks since that is where the sound is coming from. Just hoping it's something simple. Haven't really had the time to pull it apart just yet though.

post #20 of 23 Old 07-27-2016, 08:09 PM
McTavish

Quote:
I had the wheel off the ground, the bearings felt mint. Couldn't get any clicks no matter how hard I tried with the wheel off the ground. I'm pretty confident it's coming from my forks since that is where the sound is coming from. Just hoping it's something simple. Haven't really had the time to pull it apart just yet though.

Steering head bearings can not be properly checked unless the forks are removed.

post #21 of 23 Old 08-06-2016, 01:45 PM
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Steering head bearings can not be properly checked unless the forks are removed.
Also since you are going to be messing with all the forks and pulling them I would still go ahead and check the bearings. Would be a little embarrasing to go through all that trouble, overlook it, and then still have some clunking. Just food for thought. It'll be super easy with the legs off anyways.

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #22 of 23 Old 06-03-2017, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase

For the record, I changed my fork oil and the problem went away. No more noise. 32k miles, a nice smelly gunky oil came out. Amazing how much of a difference fresh fork oil does.

post #23 of 23 Old 06-04-2017, 07:40 AM
Pilus Posterior

Quote:
For the record, I changed my fork oil and the problem went away. No more noise. 32k miles, a nice smelly gunky oil came out. Amazing how much of a difference fresh fork oil does.
I found water in one of my forks. The seal was leaking and she was a bear to make her handle. I replace the seal, cleaned out the system and new fluid.

This should be done every year or two because the oil does breakdown.

Glad you got it fixed and thank for the update.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode