Front Brakes Issue - Wrist Twisters
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By g00gl3it
  • 1 Post By Islandboy
  • 1 Post By Niner101

post #1 of 9 Old 08-24-2018, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Dave

Front Brakes Issue

I bought a 919 a couple months ago knowing id have to put a little work into it, most of which was cosmetic. The first major issue i noticed was in the front brakes. They seemed to function okay, until youd get riding for a while and the calipers would freeze up and keep the bike completely stopped. it would start with the lever feeling too stiff, then id notice that the brakes were dragging, and after that point i had a about a minute before the bike would stop completely and not budge. I eventually found that the reason for this was that the spring inside of the MC wasn't returning the lever back to its position quickly enough, and sometimes left the MC partially engaged so that there was a slight pressure on the calipers. Anyways it got worse and worse, to the point that you could only ride it for a few minutes before the brakes would lock up. the only way to get them unstuck was to try to coax the piston back out of the MC and relieve the pressure.

I was fortunate to find a used OEM MC for pretty cheap so i ordered it. After that was installed, i bled the brakes (textbook, hassle free brake bleed) and all was well. The lever returned instantly, the lines were nice and solid free of any air, and the brakes worked great. I rode the bike happily for a couple weeks.

One morning I went out to the garage and noticed the lever was pretty squishy, but not enough to cause any actual issues. i kept riding it and by a week later the brakes felt like they needed to be bled again. the lever would go from very soft to completely stiff and back during my rides, but i never lost pressure entirely and the brakes never started dragging. I thought okay, there were probably some bubbles i missed that have made their way down to the calipers, so i set up to bleed the brakes for a second time. I got a hose on the left front calipers bleeder, gave it a few pumps, and opened it up. a very small amount of fluid came out but it was completely free of bubbles. however, the second i cracked the bleeder all pressure in the lever was gone and it went all the way to my grips. i made sure no air was sucked through the bleeder, closed it, and started to pump some more to build pressure and repeat the motion. unfortunately, the pressure never came. the lever continued compressing all the way down to the grip, and when id open the bleeder after a few pumps, only a tiny amount of bubble-less fluid would come out. i tried the other caliper, same thing. no bubbles, barely any fluid release, and still no pressure at all in the lever. I closed both bleeders and pumped the lever probably 200 times and still nothing. i put the MC lid back on and tried a couple hundred more, no luck. What am i missing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-24-2018, 02:27 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

My guess is you still have air in the lines. Bleeding front brakes can be tricky - have you tried a reverse bleed or MityVac? They work wonders and are much easier than a standard bleed.
motorcycledave likes this.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #3 of 9 Old 08-24-2018, 08:31 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
My guess is you still have air in the lines. Bleeding front brakes can be tricky - have you tried a reverse bleed or MityVac? They work wonders and are much easier than a standard bleed.
Yes, very likely, I had to push the pistons all the way back into the housing to get rid of the air trapped in the calipers.
Also sounds like you could use some new seals as well.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-26-2018, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Dave

Yep, there was a long string of bubbles that i was finally able to pull out using an old medicine syringe and some clear tubing. After about three syringe's full i had enough pressure from my lever to do a regular pressure bleed the rest of the way. Now my front brakes are solid and working great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180821_151457.jpg (405.7 KB, 23 views)

post #5 of 9 Old 08-27-2018, 02:26 AM
919 Rider

I like your whole colour scheme. Fork lowers look good gold. Nice!

post #6 of 9 Old 08-27-2018, 11:39 AM
Tirone

gold looks good if u dont mind what gold is that? rattle can, or powder coat and did u paint the gold on rotors to?

post #7 of 9 Old 08-31-2018, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Dave

I had the forks and swinger powder coated when the bike was all taken apart. Almost every part of the bike has been powdercoated at this point haha, but the rotors came gold when i bought the bike.

post #8 of 9 Old 08-31-2018, 01:59 PM
919 Rider

Any chance of some better pics of your bike?

post #9 of 9 Old 09-01-2018, 07:33 AM
Tirone

Any chance u remember name or number of powder coat. Its spot on match

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode