fork swap/ different brands - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 15 Old 08-21-2011, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

fork swap/ different brands

After reading tons of threads about fork upgrades, swaps, triple tree substitution, steering stem alterations... Why doesnt anybody use pieces/parts from another brand of bike? The guys who build rat bikes seem to be able to do this without any real problems...

There is a motorcycle salvage yard in a neighboring town that I rode past the other day, and that got me thinking about this. If I wanted to put on some really nice front end components, if I wasn't restricting myself to only Honda parts it would open up lots of possibilities. Maybe I could take forks/triples from an FZ1 or a GSX-R...or something.

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-21-2011, 08:51 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post
After reading tons of threads about fork upgrades, swaps, triple tree substitution, steering stem alterations... Why doesnt anybody use pieces/parts from another brand of bike? The guys who build rat bikes seem to be able to do this without any real problems...

There is a motorcycle salvage yard in a neighboring town that I rode past the other day, and that got me thinking about this. If I wanted to put on some really nice front end components, if I wasn't restricting myself to only Honda parts it would open up lots of possibilities. Maybe I could take forks/triples from an FZ1 or a GSX-R...or something.

Why not? Seems like you'll have to alter the steering stem anyway.

post #3 of 15 Old 08-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Tirone

Most of the Japanese manufacturers use Showa or Kayaba (KYB). If I where going to do an expensive swap with custom triple trees made, I would go with a nice Ohlins set up with a Marchesinni rim and Brembo Radial mount brakes. It would be nice, but it would probably cost as much as I paid for the bike.

post #4 of 15 Old 08-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Batman

The problems lie with rake, stem and triple. Now that you have the wheel on, you need to fab mounts for your ignition, light, and speedo. Not done yet, master cylinder to match different rotors...oh that means new calipers and lines... and probably new handlebars or top triple to accept handlebars because most of those usd forks are clipon based.... Making them not smash your tank after you modify the steering stops.

I did my research on trying to Get my PERFECT set of zx9 usd on my niner. It was....depressing. its totally doable, and I might consider it, just need to find a machinists to make a new stem...meh. you want my zx9 forks with front wheel and rotors?

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-21-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by velodesign View Post
I did my research on trying to Get my PERFECT set of zx9 usd on my niner. It was....depressing. its totally doable, and I might consider it, just need to find a machinists to make a new stem...meh. you want my zx9 forks with front wheel and rotors?
This is exactly the kind of situation I was asking about...

after doing the research, was it prohibitably expensive, or just complicated...or both?

I had already thought about the rake/trail issue.. the specifics that sparked the idea for me was Justintyme's FZ1...I thought, "nice USD forks...I wonder if those triples could be adapted..."

"The Shadow"
post #6 of 15 Old 08-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Batman

Both.

Thoughts that raced through my head are:

New fender...will it look good?
Any speedo issues (since the zx9 runs analog from the hub...where does the 919 grab it from? And will it calibrate to the existing housing or do I need new gauges?

Two pot calipers...old.

Not only messy, expensive! Is much rather just save my money and get better springs. Heck, maybe better off finding a zx9 for cheap instead.

Anything can be adapted with enough $$$...but I'm going to with better springs and fork oil for me. And then, leave my ambitions for a different motorcycle. I wish it were more simple, but it isn't in my research it seems and if I could do it all myself I might think about it but when were talking machining, shims, and welding on some of the most important aspects for your vehicle...ugh. it makes me depressed. One wrong move and my life insurance policy goes into full disposal. Not fun...but maybe if I win the lottery....

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-21-2011, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by velodesign View Post
Both.

Anything can be adapted with enough $$$...but I'm going to with better springs and fork oil for me. And then, leave my ambitions for a different motorcycle.
...Pouring fork oil upon troubled waters...

"The Shadow"
post #8 of 15 Old 08-21-2011, 11:34 PM
Pilus Posterior

For your consideration.

919 springs - $100 ish.
Fork oil - $20? (I'm estimating US prices).

And a few hours in the shed.

Result is a significant change.

Somewhere there is a post where Dan Kyle Racing (LDH) did a full 919 Ohlins fork upgrade with springs, Ohlins valves etc - off the top of my head $600.

The result would be better than any 'standard' USD unit being grafted on at probably a much higher cost.

But they sure do look spunky with the USD units!

If you are after a graft on I'd be inclined to see of you could pick up an entire front end - wheel brakes etc and have custom triples made to suit the stock stem.

post #9 of 15 Old 08-22-2011, 09:56 AM
The 919 project continues

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
If you are after a graft on I'd be inclined to see of you could pick up an entire front end - wheel brakes etc and have custom triples made to suit the stock stem.
I agree - it's cheaper and easier to buy all matching parts than it is to mix and match between different models or brands. That way you don't have to modify most of the parts to make everything work together correctly.
The main issue with swapping front ends is not the triple clamps themselves, it's the stem. It's usually either the wrong length or diameter. Even if you have a complete front end with custom stem, you still need to make sure you can mount your headlight, gauges, ignition, handlebars, etc.

I just saw that Style and Performance now sells the triples that I had them make for me a couple years ago. Hornet 900

The product description translates to: Steering Kit for bases to upside-down fork complete with handlebar riser.

They're beautiful triples and everything bolts right on - RC (or Ohlins) forks and wheel, 919 headlight, gauges, ignition, handlebar - but the price has gone WAY up. 540 Euro is currently $776!! And that doesn't include international shipping and VAT taxes (which can be almost as much as the price of the item!!!).
When I got mine, they weren't offering them for sale on the website - I contacted them and told them what I wanted and asked if they could make it. We went back and forth with numerous e-mails. Eventually I sent them all the measurements of the forks, and asked them to make bar clamps for 1 1/8" MX bars, and anodize everything black. I paid just under $600, VAT and int'l shipping included - it looks like they're at least double that now. It's sad, because they make the front end swap truly 'plug and play'. A few WT members came over to lend a hand and we had the front end swapped out, and the bike ready to ride in a couple hours.

post #10 of 15 Old 08-22-2011, 10:07 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Plus they look like they came from the factory

Dan
post #11 of 15 Old 08-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoney View Post
I agree - it's cheaper and easier to buy all matching parts than it is to mix and match between different models or brands. That way you don't have to modify most of the parts to make everything work together correctly.
The main issue with swapping front ends is not the triple clamps themselves, it's the stem. It's usually either the wrong length or diameter. Even if you have a complete front end with custom stem, you still need to make sure you can mount your headlight, gauges, ignition, handlebars, etc.

I just saw that Style and Performance now sells the triples that I had them make for me a couple years ago. Hornet 900

The product description translates to: Steering Kit for bases to upside-down fork complete with handlebar riser.

They're beautiful triples and everything bolts right on - RC (or Ohlins) forks and wheel, 919 headlight, gauges, ignition, handlebar - but the price has gone WAY up. 540 Euro is currently $776!! And that doesn't include international shipping and VAT taxes (which can be almost as much as the price of the item!!!).
When I got mine, they weren't offering them for sale on the website - I contacted them and told them what I wanted and asked if they could make it. We went back and forth with numerous e-mails. Eventually I sent them all the measurements of the forks, and asked them to make bar clamps for 1 1/8" MX bars, and anodize everything black. I paid just under $600, VAT and int'l shipping included - it looks like they're at least double that now. It's sad, because they make the front end swap truly 'plug and play'. A few WT members came over to lend a hand and we had the front end swapped out, and the bike ready to ride in a couple hours.
Stop posting that link!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dude.jpg (43.3 KB, 25 views)

post #12 of 15 Old 08-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Pilus Posterior

Darn ...........

post #13 of 15 Old 08-22-2011, 09:04 PM
McTavish

Adaptation is not that complex.
Getting correct ride height and geometry is.
Adapter triples can take care of the geometry.
Extended fork caps and / or dropped triples can take care of the ride height in some cases.
The attraction of the RC51 parts is the forks are the correct length for a 919.

post #14 of 15 Old 08-22-2011, 09:24 PM
a.k.a. Macgruber

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shadow View Post

I was thinking along these lines just this morning Declan,
a guy I know has the front end off of a Kawi 636
He mentioned to me that I should buy it from him & put it on my 919.

Abba Zaba, you my only friend.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-23-2011, 02:33 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 

i did look into it

https://www.wristtwisters.com/f94/rc-...ion-25972.html

read the whole post

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode