Forgot to put oil on o ring before putting on new oil filter - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 4 Old 02-22-2020, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Forgot to put oil on o ring before putting on new oil filter

I did an oil change on my 02 919 today and forgot to put oil on the o ring before installing the oil filter, I usually don’t forget this step but I did today. Is that step important enough that I would have to remove the filter and oil the o ring or am I being too paranoid?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-22-2020, 12:23 PM
McTavish

If the mating surface on the engine was absolutely clean of any oil and truly bone dry, such as after wiping down with a strong fast evaporating solvent, then you'd likely be looking at a sticky filter at time of removal.
By the same token, IF the surface was that dry and clean, it'd be hard to be able to properly tighten it by hand or with a lightly pushed filter wrench.

So, if you didn't go nuts on the cleaning, and want to ensure you don't end up with a sticky filter, merely let the engine cool and with the engine off, back off the filter until you just beginning to get some weepage at the bottom, then snug it up again.
That will get oil to, and distribute adequately, oil to and on the o ring.

The greater concern is adequate O ring crush.
You sound concerned.
I think you will get comfort by backing off the filter and redoing the tightening.
If I was concerned, that's what I would do.

Keep in mind this is all fine and dandy on a just installed filter.
O ring or flat ringed oil filters that have seen months of use and lots of heat cycles should never be backed off and reused.

Hope this helps you along.

post #3 of 4 Old 02-22-2020, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for the advice Mcromo, that is exactly what I did. I’ll probably just end up buying a new filter and redo my oil change since I accidentally dented the oil filter while removing it with a wrench. All in all it’s a $40 lesson learned.

post #4 of 4 Old 02-29-2020, 06:45 PM
Tirone

Total re do is not necessary. If the dent really bothers you just spin on another filter. Thoroughly clean the area around the filter first. The oil in the pan is still fresh and clean and if you catch the oil from the filter removal in a clean container you might loose only the filter oil. Good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode