flashing headlight? Yes or no? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 45 Old 03-02-2012, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Aquilifer

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

flashing headlight? Yes or no?

Last season (yes we have motorcycle seasons here Nd4spdbh) I saw a harley with his headlight constantly flashing. At first, (I am fairly new to riding) I thought he must have a loose connection. Only to find out that this was on purpose. Personally I thought it was REALLY annoying. But I did notice him. I'm not asking if you think I should do it, cause I'm not! Just wondering peoples thoughts.
HEADLIGHT MODULE - YouTube

Arte et Marte
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 03-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Chief 10 Beers

Effective but annoying. I think you have to decide if you want to annoy traffic in the name of safety? I guess you could beep your horn every 2 seconds too?

There are bold motorcyclists and old motorcyclists, but (OK) there are few old bold motorcyclists
post #3 of 45 Old 03-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Why's everything on fire?

Garage
Those are headlight modulators. They were invented because headlight-based DRLs on cars defeat the purpose of DRLs on bikes and make us invisible against the background of traffic again.

More information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcy...lamp_modulator
http://www.kriss.com/modrules.htm
http://users.snip.net/~WCLAMB/MODULATOR.HTM

This technology is not compatible with HID lamps.

1986 Honda Nighthawk 700S
2002 Honda 919

post #4 of 45 Old 03-02-2012, 07:27 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I think it could cause target fixation for a driver and they will hit you.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #5 of 45 Old 03-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

The amount of modulation in those seems high. They make some that are less annoying; more of a slight flicker. Such as what you'd see on a bike going over a bump or something, or even slightly less than that, but enough to catch your (cager's) attention.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #6 of 45 Old 03-02-2012, 07:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
The amount of modulation in those seems high. They make some that are less annoying; more of a slight flicker. Such as what you'd see on a bike going over a bump or something, or even slightly less than that, but enough to catch your (cager's) attention.
Sadly, the government says that it has to be 240 cycles per minute (plus or minus 40) or it's technically illegal... Links added above.

2002 Honda 919
post #7 of 45 Old 03-02-2012, 08:12 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700S View Post
Sadly, the government says that it has to be 240 cycles per minute (plus or minus 40) or it's technically illegal... Links added above.
Good to know, did not know that. So that's four cycles per second. That's pretty fast.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #8 of 45 Old 03-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Princeps Prior

I find it horribly annoying when I see other bikes using these.....

Over the years....Iv'e developed my own 'stealth' tactics of street safety.

post #9 of 45 Old 03-02-2012, 10:26 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Doesn't bother me a bit

post #10 of 45 Old 03-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Left of Centre

U r a funny fellow...

post #11 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 03:08 AM
Pilus Posterior

Not legal on my side of the planet. I presume it does not flash at night - that would drive other road users crazy!

You could ride around butt naked and they'd not see you - best to keep your eyes open!

post #12 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 04:10 AM
Former 919er

Mike, where do you come up with these things? Lol!

post #13 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 04:14 AM
Former 919er

I wouldn't want that going into an intersection where someone opposite is waiting to turn left across my path. Someone is bound to confuse it for a "go ahead" signal.

If you want to be serious about being seen out there, a high vis jacket is your best investment. It makes a huge difference.

post #14 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 05:12 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa919 View Post
I wouldn't want that going into an intersection where someone opposite is waiting to turn left across my path. Someone is bound to confuse it for a "go ahead" signal.

If you want to be serious about being seen out there, a high vis jacket is your best investment. It makes a huge difference.
This is what concerns me as well, I have one that I'll probably try this season, just going to be real careful when I'm in an area where it could be misconstrued. And, +1 for the high vis, it does make a huge difference especially when combined with a light colored helmet.

post #15 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 05:20 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Quote:
Mike, where do you come up with these things? Lol!

Quote:

I have seen them on the road. Actually I was getting ready to pull out onto a road and an ST1300 came over the crest of a hill and definitely increased his visibility to me. IMO the speed of the oscillation keeps it from being confused for a go-ahead signal. I would use it sparingly and definitely turn it off if I'm riding behind someone, but anything that helps us be seen is good.

post #16 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 07:03 AM
I WANNA RIDE!

The first time I saw one coming at me it definitely got my attention. I though it was a cop coming at me! After I realized what it was it was just annoying to be coming at it.

I always wondered what it was like from the riders perspective?

Attention getting? Yes.
Annoying? Yes.

Side note: I do have a brake light modulator. When I hit the brake it pulses the light three times then stays on steady until I release the pedal.

Four wheels move the body ... two wheels move the soul.
post #17 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 07:16 AM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb900 View Post
The first time I saw one coming at me it definitely got my attention. I though it was a cop coming at me! After I realized what it was it was just annoying to be coming at it.

I always wondered what it was like from the riders perspective?

Attention getting? Yes.
Annoying? Yes.

Side note: I do have a brake light modulator. When I hit the brake it pulses the light three times then stays on steady until I release the pedal.
I do find the brake modulators effective as it gives a flash to help aid in visibility. The only thing I see wrong is that with flashing brake lights at first it looks like you are trying to get someones attention, what it does not show is that you are actually slowing down, they don't realize this until the solid light comes on.

2003 Honda Shadow 750 ACE (Sold)
2003 Honda 919
post #18 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 08:17 AM
Cornicen

I use modulators, front and rear. I keep it on low beam when modulating, as I want people to see me, not be overly annoyed. If I notice someone adjust their rear-view mirrors when I'm behind them, I turn it off, otherwise, it's always on in the daylight. I don't believe people actually fixate on a modulating light and drive into it. I DO notice people often waiting and not pulling out in front of me when the modulator is on, perhaps trying to determine if I am an LEO...whatever, as long as they aren't pulling out in front of me, it's fine with me. Mine is legal in 50 states.

post #19 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 08:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
This is what concerns me as well, I have one that I'll probably try this season, just going to be real careful when I'm in an area where it could be misconstrued. And, +1 for the high vis, it does make a huge difference especially when combined with a light colored helmet.
The MAIDS report shows that high viz makes zero difference in accident rates.

2002 Honda 919
post #20 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

A flashing headlight can be misread as an emergency vehicle by the uninformed, an invitation to "Road Rage" for some diseased maniac, or an acknowledgment by the approaching motorist signifying that he sees me/I see him and it is permissible to cross my path as I have given him my right of way.

Despite glowing reviews and testimonials it's not for me.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #21 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 08:48 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

No bike of mine would have flashing headlights. I find them annoying coming at me and will not subject an oncoming rider or cager to same.

2¢, with infalatio non gratis obamus............... negative 5¢ (-5¢)

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #22 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 09:15 AM
Discen

No. Never on my bike.

post #23 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Milites Gregarius

I have found in both cars and bikes, flashing lights mean different things to different people. Because its unclear to some drivers what they mean, they are just as dangerous occasionally making an otherwise clear situation confusing. For example, if a car is at a stop sign and doesn't stop completely which is a very common occurrence where I live, that person peeking up and seeing a flashing light could interpret a flashing light as an "okay to go".

I know it sounds silly, but I was in that situation once on my bike where I blinked my brights on and off because I didn't think the car saw me. When I got closer to the intersection I could see she was looking right at me and went anyway almost running me off into a ditch. I can only imagine she thought I was blinking my headlights as a signal to go.

I think signals for other drivers should be clear, like a left blinking signal means you are turning left. Leave nothing to interpretation.

post #24 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

Love mine! It made a dramatic difference in near misses.
I got tired of "training" drivers'.

post #25 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 11:21 AM
AMA U'RA

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Those are headlight modulators. They were invented because headlight-based DRLs on cars defeat the purpose of DRLs on bikes and make us invisible against the background of traffic again.

More information:
Motorcycle headlamp modulator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Headlight modulator regulations and laws for motorcycles
http://users.snip.net/~WCLAMB/MODULATOR.HTM

This technology is not compatible with HID lamps.
Plus one......... Typical Govr'n .......... shows how much they don't care about us.

Monk
Riding defensively is a pro-active must.VFR MOD's : GripPuppies;ThrottleBoss;NepThottlelock;LowCutBra; BubbleMirrors;HondaBags;GPS TomTom2ndEd(Powered,W/Tightwad'sPowerletSystem);SargentSeat w/silver piping;StockWindscreenW/LaminarLip;
3-M BlackReflectiveTape;FirstGearSilverMiniTankBag;Gez aHalfCover;AxioSilverHardshellTailbag;
HeldSpeedySeatBag;KuryakynLEDBatteryGauge;TyresMic hPR2's;NWS Hugger;RedWheelTape;RedRadiatorGrill.
post #26 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 11:36 AM
AMA U'RA

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
Not legal on my side of the planet. I presume it does not flash at night - that would drive other road users crazy!

You could ride around butt naked and they'd not see you - best to keep your eyes open!
Good point on the night riding, I've seen them flickering at night...... I'm sure they could be set up with a daylight/night senser....... I'm not in favour of the flickering lights in the 1st place.

I like to be more pro-active about being seen because that keeps "me" aware. Opposed to using gimmicks, which brings a passive riding un-awareness relying on the gimmicks.

Monk
Riding defensively is a pro-active must.VFR MOD's : GripPuppies;ThrottleBoss;NepThottlelock;LowCutBra; BubbleMirrors;HondaBags;GPS TomTom2ndEd(Powered,W/Tightwad'sPowerletSystem);SargentSeat w/silver piping;StockWindscreenW/LaminarLip;
3-M BlackReflectiveTape;FirstGearSilverMiniTankBag;Gez aHalfCover;AxioSilverHardshellTailbag;
HeldSpeedySeatBag;KuryakynLEDBatteryGauge;TyresMic hPR2's;NWS Hugger;RedWheelTape;RedRadiatorGrill.
post #27 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 11:44 AM
AMA U'RA

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Although I haven't researched it, it's possible that these cycle #'s are different, in different states.

Monk
post #28 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 11:56 AM
AMA U'RA

Awards Showcase

Retired from semi's , they seem to me to be the ones that use the light flash as a meaning of ok/clear, while a lot of cage drivers see this and follow suit but change though time to mean other thing which now is more confusing.........

Monk
post #29 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Batman

We all should just mount paint guns on the front and wear jackets that look like we have tits hanging out. Everyone would notice us and for the ones that turn in front of us will have a mark to remember next time...

Who's with me and my woodfords reserve? Haha

I may not have a lot to say but it doesn't mean I don't listen.
post #30 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 03:47 PM
no max no more

someone will think your flashing them to turn...dont like the idea

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #31 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 04:13 PM
FXS
Knees in the Breeze

When first marketed for bikes I remember reading about the possibilities of cagers fixating ont the flickering light. Didn,t believe a word of it until I saw one on the road and damned if I didn't find myself fixating on the light !! Think they were calles " Fire flies".

Never pick a fight with an old man..if he's too tired to fight, he'll just shoot you.
1979 H-D Low Rider (orig owner)
2009 K 1300 S (Lava Orange...the faster color)
post #32 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 04:17 PM
FXS
Knees in the Breeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by velodesign View Post
We all should just mount paint guns on the front and wear jackets that look like we have tits hanging out. Everyone would notice us and for the ones that turn in front of us will have a mark to remember next time...

Who's with me and my woodfords reserve? Haha
Guns.....AND Boobs......I'm with you brother.
I do forsee a potential problem though. The guns would distract me from the boobs and the boobs would distract me from the guns !

Never pick a fight with an old man..if he's too tired to fight, he'll just shoot you.
1979 H-D Low Rider (orig owner)
2009 K 1300 S (Lava Orange...the faster color)
post #33 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 04:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONK View Post
Although I haven't researched it, it's possible that these cycle #'s are different, in different states.
The Feds say no, that's what it has to be and any state law saying otherwise is invalid. Read the attached article for the US Code citations.

2002 Honda 919
post #34 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 04:41 PM
no max no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXS View Post
When first marketed for bikes I remember reading about the possibilities of cagers fixating ont the flickering light. Didn,t believe a word of it until I saw one on the road and damned if I didn't find myself fixating on the light !! Think they were calles " Fire flies".
may only apply to drunks....state police on side of highway parked ...blues on,,and drunk drivers slam into the car.,happens all the time... if.someone was in back of me with those lights....they would get my ashtray full of penny

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #35 of 45 Old 03-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Immune

No. People are already conditioned to a certain behavior on the road. The meaning of a pulsating headlight is unknown to most. I try to keep it really really simple for the sheep to understand.

post #36 of 45 Old 03-04-2012, 11:25 AM
AMA U'RA

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRig View Post
No. People are already conditioned to a certain behavior on the road. The meaning of a pulsating headlight is unknown to most. I try to keep it really really simple for the sheep to understand.
You just gave me a nasty thought.... How long before the gov'mt makes the flashing light mandatory for cars.........GGGGRRRRR !!

Monk
post #37 of 45 Old 03-04-2012, 03:25 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I personally dislike the modulated headlights and wouldnt use one on my bike. I believe that riding in an aggressively defensive manner and keeping a high level of situational awareness keeps me from having too many problems...

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #38 of 45 Old 03-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Cornicen

It's very interesting how different the responses are on different forums. I find Dual-Sport forum riders to be much more accepting of modulators. Since there are a significant number of Dual-sport riders that ride off-road due to the perceived dangers of being killed while on-road, I assume there is a certain percentage of them that are more concerned with personal safety than road-only riders.

I wonder if there would be a signicant difference between an average group of Harley forum, BMW forum, or Gold-wing forum members.

I wonder if there would be a signifcant difference between LEO riders, ER riders, or Paramedic riders when compared to other groups of riders.

post #39 of 45 Old 03-05-2012, 06:59 AM
Tirone

I think if your that safety concerned to modify your headlight as such you should be wearing a yellow vest and some reflective tape on your lid. However I usually dont pay attention since i am usually passing people and worring about the car infront of me then the car/rider behind me.

post #40 of 45 Old 03-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Discen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
It's very interesting how different the responses are on different forums. I find Dual-Sport forum riders to be much more accepting of modulators. Since there are a significant number of Dual-sport riders that ride off-road due to the perceived dangers of being killed while on-road, I assume there is a certain percentage of them that are more concerned with personal safety than road-only riders.

I wonder if there would be a signicant difference between an average group of Harley forum, BMW forum, or Gold-wing forum members.

I wonder if there would be a signifcant difference between LEO riders, ER riders, or Paramedic riders when compared to other groups of riders.
Now you just quit that wondering right now before it gets out of hand. Next thing you know you'll be wondering about the existence of free will and wondering about the intergalactic space continuum within black holes and whatever else pops into your head. It is not a good road to travel down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode