fixing a tank dent - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 7 Old 09-13-2018, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

fixing a tank dent

Well my 07 red gas tank was perfect. Tip over in a parking stall put a 3 inch round dent on the top of my tank 6 inches behind the gas cap. Perfect dent , not a mark on the paint.
A paintless dent removal guy tried 3 times to pop it out without success. Dang this bike WAS mint. I thought of a mini bra to hide the dent. did not see one on line for the 919. I will come up with something. Maybe a new tank [ red ] will come up on E bay.

I love this bike and it is my fault it happened so i will suck it up ,polish it as before and enjoy a wonderful motorcycle with one ugly dent.
Is their any removable part like a gas gauge or fuel pump at the rear part of the tank that i can remove and maybe carefully gain access to the dent and push the dent out from the inside ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-13-2018, 02:51 PM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

The tank is pretty robust and I've never heard of anyone successfully removing a dent. New undented tanks are extremely rare, I've never actually seen one for sale. My tank was bondo'ed and repainted. Might be the cheapest route.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

post #3 of 7 Old 09-13-2018, 03:39 PM
919 Rider

My original red tank came with a complementary dent on its right side. I got rid of it like this. Removed tank. Removed pump. Cleaned out all fuel. Using a metal hole saw, 25mm, cut a hole underneath opposite dent. Pushed and hammered out dent. Welded a patch back over cut hole. Little bit of filler and a coat of paint. Like new. You wouldn't even know it had been dented.
You might be able to get at that dent of yours by just removing the fuel pump. It's a pretty big hole. Or cut out a hole like I did directly opposite the dent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180914_082423-1_1536877546305.jpg (144.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20180914_082322-1_1536877662471.jpg (130.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20180914_083310-1_1536878059243.jpg (83.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20180914_083637-1_1536878254011.jpg (183.1 KB, 11 views)

post #4 of 7 Old 09-13-2018, 04:09 PM
Pilus Posterior

You can remove pretty much any dent with a stud welder and puller. Back in the old days, they would drill a bunch of holes and use a puller with a screw. Not they use a stud welder and puller.

I restore classic cars as a side hobby and have the tools for this.

The paintless uses tools to push, but you need more to "re bend" the steel.

The problem with stud welding is that you have to make contact with the metal, so you will be repainting the tank.

I see two options, try again with suction or glued and bending. I'm guessing the paintless guy had what looks like long specialized wires. You can also glue on an attachment to a puller. Several glue points and some good pulling can do the trick. You can also use dry ice, heat and air pressure inside the tank. Adding a bit of air pressure inside the tank while pulling on the glued pullers could do the trick.

Once it's folded, it's damn hard to restore without removing the paint.

When/if you do use any filler, make sure you use a little as you can, pull the dent with a stud puller and you can get it very, very close, then just a thin coating, then block it down and repaint.

Another option it to just leave it. It's a war wound and she still lives... You have a few scars on you as well

post #5 of 7 Old 09-13-2018, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

tank dent

Thank you for the replies, I still have not seen a picture of the bottem of the tank. Is the fuel pump forward or aft in the tank. If it is in the middle or aft i think i can remove it and gain access to carefully pushing the dent out.
Thanks

post #6 of 7 Old 09-13-2018, 04:58 PM
919 Rider

The pump mount hole is towards the rear of the tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180914_095452-1_1536882967430.jpg (169.4 KB, 9 views)

post #7 of 7 Old 09-13-2018, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thank you for the pic of the tank, that is right under the dent. My plan will be to remove the tank after the warm weather is over and take my time removing the dent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode