First Major Maintenance Issue - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 04-11-2015, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

First Major Maintenance Issue

So my 919 is presently parked at my wife's friend's house approx 15 miles from home. It's on a nice flat concrete slab and I suspect that if I had to do a few hours of work there I could get away with it.

While riding this morning, I noticed the engine noise suddenly change and I had what sounded like a misfire. Turned out it looks like a spark plug(#3) is complete loose and the lead to the plug is ripped/torn. I say looks like because it's damn hard to get to that plug but it's flapping around like crazy when the bike is running.

I'm completely new to bikes and while I present to know what I'm doing mechanically, I generally rely on service professionals.

I could trailer the bike home although I don't have a wheel chock or eyelet bolts in my trailer but I could set it up tomorrow.

I could order parts and the service manual but I figure I should ask the folks here if this is an endeavor for a novice or not. I would like to learn how to do this kind of work but I also hate to have the bike out of commission for too long.

Provided it's not outlandish for me to do, any recommendations on parts sources, etc? I hoped to find some resources (videos or tutorials) and I've found a few things for other I4 hondas but nothing 919 specific.

BTW, I'm guessing some of you could have resolved this in less time than I've typed the post...your advice is appreciate!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-11-2015, 09:10 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Pop your seat, at the base of your tank there is a 10mm nut/bolt. Loosen (no need to remove) those bolts. Slide the tank back, then you can prop it up. That will give you access to the plug boots. If it's flapping around, obviously it's not right. Since the lead is ripped and torn, your best bet is probably to replace it. I haven't tried to source any so far, but I typically hit up ronayers, motosport, partzilla, and a couple others that are not ringing a bell. I typically find the part # needed, then google that to see who has the best price. Keep digging here, pretty much everything you need is the right search query away. If you can't find it, ask! You might get a smartass comment back pointing you to helpful topics for 919 owners but hey, it is in good fun.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #3 of 13 Old 04-11-2015, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for the link. I had done a search or two but apparently not the right ones.

post #4 of 13 Old 04-12-2015, 07:06 AM
TEXAN

It's definitely worth lifting the tank to get a better look at it. I have a feeling that the spark plug came out, based on your description. That would be a lot more trouble than a bad spark plug boot, so I hope it didn't happen. Do you hear a loud noise coming from the top of the head when the engine is running?

post #5 of 13 Old 04-12-2015, 08:01 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I can't recall which coil goes to #3, but I had one of the bolts that holds the coil to the left side of the frame back out. It was making a lot of noise (that sounded like it was coming from the engine) and you could see one of the plug wires flapping around. Just need to raise the tank to check it out.

post #6 of 13 Old 04-12-2015, 09:07 AM
Road Pilot

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sde219 View Post
I could order parts and the service manual but I figure I should ask the folks here if this is an endeavor for a novice or not.
There is a downloadable free service manual floating around here somewhere. As far as the #3 plug lift the tank and reach both your hands in there to press it back to it's proper position.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-12-2015, 10:23 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
There is a downloadable free service manual floating around here somewhere. As far as the #3 plug lift the tank and reach both your hands in there to press it back to it's proper position.
It's the 1st link on the helpful topics page IIRC.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
post #8 of 13 Old 04-12-2015, 11:55 AM
Tesserarius

I replaced my leads with some off of eBay. I have my original ones that I could get rid of.

I'm sure there's a technical term, but the wire that connects the coil to the spark plugs is what I'm referring to.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-13-2015, 03:29 PM
Tirone

Don't worry about finding 919 specific stuff, all you need that's specific to the bike is how to slide the tank back and prop it up. Otherwise, you're just tracing the plug wire from the spark plug back to the coil that powers it.

Sounds like you'll need a new plug wire, which may be easiest to get in a set. eBay might be your friend, or if someone on the forum like cloroxbleach4 has some spares lying around.

The problematic part won't be replacing the wire, that's super simple (unscrew the plastic nut holding it to the coil, pull it out, put the plastic nut on the new wire, shove it hard onto the coil's pointy metal prong, tighten plastic nut), but determining if the spark plug came out because its threads in the head are stripped.

You can probably figure it out by looking at the plug threads. If they're not damaged and a new plug threads in easily by hand with a spark plug socket on an extension, it may have just been vibrated loose.

If the threads look damaged and/or a new plug won't thread in cleanly and easily, you might be in for a costly repair that involves removing the head to install a threaded insert where the old threads were.

post #10 of 13 Old 04-13-2015, 07:14 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloroxbleach4 View Post
I'm sure there's a technical term... the wire that connects the coil to the spark plugs is what I'm referring to.
We used to call them HT [high tension] leads

post #11 of 13 Old 04-14-2015, 06:20 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
We used to call them HT [high tension] leads
I've heard them called that before too and never really understood it... I don't know of any scenario where your spark plug wires will need to be under any tension... let alone high tension...

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
post #12 of 13 Old 04-14-2015, 06:44 AM
Tirone

I'm guessing it comes from the utility industry, where high tension lines are the big long distance ones that are bumped up to very high voltages to reduce losses.

Spark plug coils are just transformers that take the 80V or so AC coming off of the stator and bump it up to 80-100k volts so that it's got enough potential to bridge the gap in the spark plug.

post #13 of 13 Old 04-14-2015, 03:37 PM
Left of Centre

"High tension lead" or "cable" is also used for any electrical cable carrying a high voltage in any context. Tension in this instance is a synonym for voltage.

..sez Wikipedia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode