Fine Black Grit coming out of the exhaust - Help! - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 68 Old 12-02-2012, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Raddock

Fine Black Grit coming out of the exhaust - Help!

Hello Everyone,

I wonder if you can help with some ideas before I give up and take it to the local Honda place....

2004 CB 919, 92XX miles, no major work ever done to it, stock except D&D slip-ons.

I run 87 octane now but I was on 93 until 5-6 months ago, every 4-5 tank filling I use a bit of injector cleaner, the oil is at the upper level, it is clean and I usually let the bike warm up for 2-3 minutes before I ride. I am in lower Alabama and we are in the 70's now. My bike is on a carport but with no motorcycle cover over it.

I have noticed 2-3 weeks ago that this black grit was behind my bike on the vinyl siding of the house after letting it warm up. I rode outside the car port, gave it a couple of revs and fairly black smoke came out. I then rode the heck out of it thinking it needed some revs for it to clean up since I do not usually ride it over 6k rpm. I do not see much of a difference in the way it rides, but the stinch has gotten worse, the grit is on my license plate and on the tail section and the exhaust is black and dirty inside - see pictures below.

BTW - I am not very technically-gifted - more of a pencil-pusher than a grease monkey...where should I start?!?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATT71294.jpg (177.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg ATT07829.jpg (216.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg ATT82677.jpg (199.3 KB, 21 views)

Doc Hornet
Certified Streetfighter Enthusiast
2004 Honda Hornet Owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 12-02-2012, 12:58 PM
jrj
Optio

Ride the hell out of it to get rid of the carbon build up.

post #3 of 68 Old 12-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Aquilifer

It does sound like carbon build up and is probably just be a side-effect of aftermarket pipes and Honda's rich factory tune. You could probably just ride it and ignore it for the most part but alternatives start delving into the arena of tuners to lean out the fuel curve and as you can imagine, things just get complicated from there.

post #4 of 68 Old 12-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Le So Cal Troll

pff... ya dont worry about it... the 919 runs rich... always has always will.

You should see my blinkers which are right below my stock exhausts... they are typically black from soot.

Also... dont let the bike warm up... start it, put your helmet on and ride.

post #5 of 68 Old 12-02-2012, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Raddock

Thanks for the input - keep it comin'!

The non-stock exhaust.. hmm - I did put it on last winter and it is true, there was not as much soot on my regular pipes...

Now getting into the idea of putting a PC III on it - I have read into a few threads but I still am not conviced it's worth it - will it actually be beneficial for the bike or is your opinion the same - not worth the hassle?!?

LMK what you think!

Doc Hornet
2004 Honda Hornet Owner
post #6 of 68 Old 12-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Tesserarius

I'm glad I came across this thread. I just got my 2002 919 a few weeks ago and could smell the ritch mixture and saw my dirty turn signals and was a bit concerned. This forum is great.

post #7 of 68 Old 12-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Hornet919 View Post
Thanks for the input - keep it comin'!

The non-stock exhaust.. hmm - I did put it on last winter and it is true, there was not as much soot on my regular pipes...

Now getting into the idea of putting a PC III on it - I have read into a few threads but I still am not conviced it's worth it - will it actually be beneficial for the bike or is your opinion the same - not worth the hassle?!?

LMK what you think!

its just now that your noticing it... more than likely there is a decent amount of humidity in the air where your at... and letting it warm up creates quite a bit of condensation in the cylinders and exhaust... pushing the carbon out the end.

as far as a PC3.... its really up to you... for best results your looking at the price of a pc3 and a custom tune.... ~200-250 / 300ish respectively.

IMO its not worth it, i think the stock 919 ecu is fine... it does the job, has zero issues (search cold start pc3 issue) and is less complicated (ie... less stuff to go wrong).... plus im a cheap ass... so the 600ish bucks for a done right pc3 setup could be used for gas and tires to actually ride the bike.

post #8 of 68 Old 12-02-2012, 03:19 PM
i appear missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
IMO its not worth it, i think the stock 919 ecu is fine... it does the job, has zero issues (search cold start pc3 issue) and is less complicated (ie... less stuff to go wrong).... plus im a cheap ass... so the 600ish bucks for a done right pc3 setup could be used for gas and tires to actually ride the bike.
This.

post #9 of 68 Old 12-02-2012, 03:45 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Hornet919 View Post
TNow getting into the idea of putting a PC III on it - I have read into a few threads but I still am not conviced it's worth it - will it actually be beneficial for the bike or is your opinion the same - not worth the hassle?!?
Regarding the PCIII, personal preference. The 919 does fine without it unless you're having issues with throttle control. The PCIII really shines in terms of smoothing out the power band, and smoothing the throttle control in lower rpms. Both my 919s bucked and jerked in low speed traffic due to the constant on-off throttle, constant clutching, etc. After I got the PCIII tuned, I can walk the bike down to ~800-900 rpms with zero issues, and throttle input is silky smooth! It was well worth it for me since I commute in traffic all the time. As a side benefit, I picked up an additional 4-5 hp with good fuel mileage (average above 40 mpg always).

My PCIII was free (came on my first 919), so technically I only paid $150 for a tune which came with lifetime free adjustments.

Some people experience the cold start issue, including myself. I've found a decent workaround and haven't had any issues since. Still keeping the PCIII, couldn't pay me to take it off the 919!

post #10 of 68 Old 12-02-2012, 04:04 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Regarding the PCIII, personal preference. The 919 does fine without it unless you're having issues with throttle control. The PCIII really shines in terms of smoothing out the power band, and smoothing the throttle control in lower rpms. Both my 919s bucked and jerked in low speed traffic due to the constant on-off throttle, constant clutching, etc. After I got the PCIII tuned, I can walk the bike down to ~800-900 rpms with zero issues, and throttle input is silky smooth! It was well worth it for me
This. IMHO, the PCIII is well worth the $$ for the throttle response alone. It may not increase the HP output BUT it feels like it does. I'l deal with the cold start issue when it happens.

post #11 of 68 Old 12-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Aquilifer

I've wondered what could ultimately be done to tone down the low speed throttle response. It's a dog when you are trying to lug around in first or second. I usually just clutch it and try not to think about it. I've heard mention that doing the gear swap adjusts it some but I am thinking that might just have been that it reduced the engine braking effect....

post #12 of 68 Old 12-02-2012, 05:21 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcraft View Post
I've wondered what could ultimately be done to tone down the low speed throttle response. It's a dog when you are trying to lug around in first or second.
Really? That's surprising. Do you know what gearing you're running? Are you using PCIII or anything else?

post #13 of 68 Old 12-02-2012, 05:59 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

don't worry about it unless it smokes, at which point I would do the cylinder leak down test to check your valves, piston rings.

Does it "smoke" once warm? I bet what you are experiencing and describing as "smoke" is nothing more than moisture mixed up with carbon. 9er collects a lot of moisture in the exhaust, especially in these colder months. When you are warming up, that moisture mixes with carbon and gets blown out of you exhaust. Next time you start your bike, take clean paper towel and hold it close to your pipe, give it some throttle. You shouldn't get any oily spots, maybe just some black carbon deposits. If no oil on your paper towel, you are good. Make sure to open that throttle a little here and there to keep her clean. Don't be afraid to damage your 9er with high rpms, what do you think that rev limiter is for

post #14 of 68 Old 12-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Tesserarius

Im going to try that tomorrow Zaq, Thanks. So is it bad to warm it up? I normally let it warm up in the cold for a few min.

post #15 of 68 Old 12-02-2012, 06:08 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detale View Post
Im going to try that tomorrow Zaq, Thanks. So is it bad to warm it up? I normally let it warm up in the cold for a few min.
no no. It's very important to warm any bike up. Very important. Always warm up the bike, even if it's 100F outside.
However don't be shy on the throttle while riding, don't lag the bike in high gear. There is nothing wrong for revs briefly bounce of the limiter once in a while

post #16 of 68 Old 12-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Hastatus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
no no. It's very important to warm any bike up. Very important. Always warm up the bike, even if it's 100F outside.
However don't be shy on the throttle while riding, don't lag the bike in high gear. There is nothing wrong for revs briefly bounce of the limiter once in a while
I thought it was generally agreed upon that the bike warms up best under a LIGHT light. Just take it easy for the first few miles, no hard accelerations and what not, everything doesn't really get warmed properly at idle anyway.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #17 of 68 Old 12-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Tesserarius

My impression of warming a bike up was to warm up the oil a bit so it lubes everything nice. Most of my older bikes (carbed) wouldn't run right at all if not warmed up a few min.

post #18 of 68 Old 12-02-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Raddock

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
don't worry about it unless it smokes, at which point I would do the cylinder leak down test to check your valves, piston rings.

Does it "smoke" once warm? I bet what you are experiencing and describing as "smoke" is nothing more than moisture mixed up with carbon. 9er collects a lot of moisture in the exhaust, especially in these colder months.
No, it does not really smoke... it might be the humidity as we have tons of it!!!! I will keep an eye on it and do the paper-towel test after I ride home from work one day.

But still there is one thing - it does stink more than it used to. It may be because the weather got colder but I actually enjoy riding and not melting in the asphalt like in the 100 F Summer months!

Regarding cold starts - the bike sometimes sits for a week or ten days at a time - even in colder weather it starts right up, never had a problem - I do not even have to pull the choke. It is by far the most reliable ride that I have ever owned so far - if it weren't for that stinch it'd be even better!

Question for all: Is anyone using any aditives that will not harm the motor yet help the bike burn the gas better, thus getting rid of the stinch?

Thanks!

Doc Hornet
2004 Honda Hornet Owner
post #19 of 68 Old 12-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Tesserarius

I'm not sure about fuel injected bikes but I know ethanol messes up carburetors and they have additives to remove it from gasoline. Again, I'm not sure as I'm really new to these new fangled bikes.I had asked in another thread and was told no, but maybe you'll get a better informed answer than I did.

post #20 of 68 Old 12-02-2012, 11:59 PM
Left of Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
This. IMHO, the PCIII is well worth the $$ for the throttle response alone. It may not increase the HP output BUT it feels like it does. I'l deal with the cold start issue when it happens.
Same-same.

Wouldn't be without the PCIII - knew it on my 1st run up and down through the gears after fitting it, even with a generic no-frills map on a Euro-type bike running stock filter and stock pipes.

post #21 of 68 Old 12-03-2012, 12:27 AM
Le So Cal Troll

warming up a motor with no load on it is bad.... its during this time that condensation builds up inside and will literally wash the walls of the cylinders from oil. You need to put a load on it to get it to heat up properly and quickly so the least amount of condensation occurs.

The whole idea of letting a vehicle warm up stems back to carburated vehicles... where they literally could not have a load on them what so ever untill they were somewhat warm. With the advent of fuel injection a stone cold motor should have no issues with load after just being started. So like said as soon as your able to ride it get on it... untill the temp guage starts to move, just be nice... no WOT runs.

BTW... i really dont know what yall have problems with the stock ecu and low speed stuff... ill lug it down to 700rpms in first and have no issues or jerkyness pulling out from there.... maybe ignorance is bliss.

post #22 of 68 Old 12-03-2012, 01:24 AM
Tesserarius

Afaik mine is all stock and haven't felt any low rpm lug at all. I've never bought a bike and left it stock yet. This one I plan to because it rides great and I wouldn't want to mess that up. Not to mention I bought a newer machine because although I LOVE working on bikes, I'm tired of having to instead of wanting to.

ND4 I'm not arguing here just asking. Is this a theory of yours or was there some testing done somewhere you could post a link to. I do notice my bike runs a little rough when cold started until I warn it up. If its a theory that's fine too I just figured I'd ask what your basing your statement on. I'm a fuel injected noob so I'm open to learn.

post #23 of 68 Old 12-03-2012, 02:09 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award 
Total Awards: 1

Ok I'm all screwed up now! So I'm I suppose to warm my gixxer up or not!?

It's fuel injected but I can tell ya right now if I fire and ride it will be for about 1 1/2 feet then restart, it requires atleast 2 min. To wake up....maybe it's a SoCal thing to jump and run

Sorry Nd but I'm with zaq, warm up is a must!

:buell:
post #24 of 68 Old 12-03-2012, 03:24 AM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
warming up a motor with no load on it is bad.... its during this time that condensation builds up inside and will literally wash the walls of the cylinders from oil.
not sure how much condensation do you have in your oil for it to wash your cylinder. IMO, if there is a condensation on cyl. walls, it is better to burn it off with lower rpms.
Also, condensation commonly develops when things cool down, not when they warm up.

Anyway, IMO there are two elements to the warmup process, one having to do with how the engine runs, and one concerning clearances/thermal expansion of metallic parts, lubrication, and wear. Aluminum pistons Must be at close or at the operation temp to work as designed, even hypereutectic ones.
I run forged piston in my thumper and warm up is a must there. Piston slap can F-up the cylinder in no time.
I agree that idling for a long time is bad for the engine and fist of all for the environment, however simple 5 min warm up is pretty important IMO.

YMMV

The only engines I do not warm up are my diesels. They are so darn efficient, they never warm up without any load.

post #25 of 68 Old 12-03-2012, 04:02 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

There no condensation on my cylinder walls...I checked!!!

post #26 of 68 Old 12-03-2012, 04:43 AM
`

Awards Showcase

Don't get me wrong: piston slap is not much a factor under high rpms ( another reason not to lag your engine). However if you load your engine without enough rpms and while cold it will be there. Therefore if you must to ride it without warming up, I wouldn't run it in low rpm range. Another factor to consider for warm up is a trapped fuel between piston rings which goes away once piston warmed up. I've always been a believer in 1st - warm it up, 2nd - engine likes rpms

post #27 of 68 Old 12-03-2012, 04:49 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Ok I'm sorry but I out-sourced this one and this is the response I got:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-N View Post
No brainier. I never roll til I'm at 150. The oil viscosity needs to be nice and loose before you get up in the 10,000+ rpm range. Cold oil and high performance engines=high oil pressure and blown seals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3- View Post
Condensation will only occur if you let the bike warm up then just kill it and walk away for a long period of time. The fluids need to circulate after they are warm and no "sweat" will build up inside. You're good bro. Always warm your shit up. Don't listen to that idiot.

post #28 of 68 Old 12-03-2012, 06:28 AM
Cornicen

i had this thing 10 years an i ain't never warmed it up once,
do you warm up your car? not.

post #29 of 68 Old 12-03-2012, 06:31 AM
Tesserarius

Poor guy got threadjacked. I did some outsourcing as well and found arguments for both sides and am confused. In times like these ill usually find some guy who tested both ways but I guess in this case there are too many variables to consider to get a bench mark.

This guy says don't warm up

I do warm up my 2001 dodge Durango

post #30 of 68 Old 12-03-2012, 06:39 AM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivit
i had this thing 10 years an i ain't never warmed it up once,
do you warm up your car? not.
Once again didn't mean to thread jack, sorry bro

Yes I do warm up my cars, hell I warm up my lawn mower!

post #31 of 68 Old 12-03-2012, 07:06 AM
Brain stolen again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj View Post
Ride the hell out of it to get rid of the carbon build up.
Yup. Wring the mother fuckers neck in the lower gears and do it repeatedly.

“I said I never had much use for one.
Never said I didn't know how to use it."
Mathew Quigley
post #32 of 68 Old 12-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash97 View Post
Ok I'm sorry but I out-sourced this one and this is the response I got:

Who was the "know it all asshole" that you were shooting pool with?

post #33 of 68 Old 12-03-2012, 08:14 AM
Tesserarius

Started a new thread on the warm up issue with a poll. Sorry 04Hornet919 for mugging your thread this far.

post #34 of 68 Old 12-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Hastatus Prior

Mine would only warm up as long as it took for me to get my gear on. Same if it's 38 degrees or 100 degrees. Never had to use the enricher knob, never noticed any hesitation after firing her up and taking off. I always take it easy until the temp gauge moves up a little.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #35 of 68 Old 12-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Really? That's surprising. Do you know what gearing you're running? Are you using PCIII or anything else?
I need to pop the cover off and figure out what gears I am running. I suspect that it is stock but I won't know until I decide to stop being lazy and look. It's just been a time factor mostly that has prevented it.

I have no ECM mods or anything so aside from the exhaust, the pair block-off and flapper mod it's running stock. I do not usually do much in low speed range unless I am rolling through a parking lot or something similar but to be honest I got used to it a long time ago from my Hawk because those bikes had the same issue on stock gearing and now days it's nothing more than an annoyance

post #36 of 68 Old 12-03-2012, 12:36 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike

Who was the "know it all asshole" that you were shooting pool with?
Ohhhhhh.....you're good Sherlock so maybe a certain amount of poetry was involved

post #37 of 68 Old 12-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash97 View Post
Ohhhhhh.....you're good Sherlock so maybe a certain amount of poetry was involved
LOL, I figured that names were changed to protect the ignorant, ooops I mean innocent.

post #38 of 68 Old 12-03-2012, 01:26 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
LOL, I figured that names were changed to protect the ignorant, ooops I mean innocent.
Exactly!

post #39 of 68 Old 12-03-2012, 02:50 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash97

Did you consult your new gsxr buddies for this one on that other forum?

post #40 of 68 Old 12-03-2012, 03:38 PM
StormSurfer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123

Did you consult your new gsxr buddies for this one on that other forum?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode