Finally sorted the SV650 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 9 Old 08-09-2011, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
GLG-20

Garage
Finally sorted the SV650

This is longer than I'd planned, and probably boring for most. A little story of what you can be in for if you neglect your bikes

I took the opportunity while my wife is out of town to tackle the carbs on her bike...yet again. I think I've hinted at the issues I've had with it, but never gave the story.

2 years ago (almost exactly!) my wife and I were prepping the bikes for a ride after they had sat for far too long. Hers wouldn't start, so first thing I did was open the gas cap. There were 3 immediate indications that we would not be going for a ride: the cap was initially stuck and didn't want to open; the smell (bad gas); and surface rust everywhere above the gas level.

That weekend I tackled the tank with diluted phosphoric acid, and managed to clean it up pretty well; fortunately it wasn't rusted badly. I decided to forego using one of those tank sealing kits since the rust wasn't deep, and just keep it full of gas. 2 years later it is still doing fine, thankfully. The cleaning was a PITA, but it turned out to be easy compared to getting the carbs sorted.

The carbs were crusty from the combination of bad gas/evaporation. At the time, I wasn't aware of the gallon cans of carb cleaner the auto stores have, so I cleaned them up with a spray can of cleaner and paper towels...which took a bit of time, not to mention the process of getting them off the bike in the first place (I'm much faster at it now, BTW).

When I first put her all back together, she ran like a champ. It wasn't long, though, before it started coughing and sputtering (like 2 weeks). Took it apart again, and the pilot jets were clogged again. I started running Seafoam and other gunk removers in the gas, but the cycle continued until last fall when I'd finally had enough. I bought rebuild kits as well as other parts I'd decided to replace (slightly larger pilots that don't clog as easily, for one!), and got a can of the carb dipping stuff (nasty stuff, BTW). I stripped both carbs and gave them each a good soaking. Once all cleaned up, I installed the new parts, set the floats (I thought...doh!), and reassembled everything. Fired her up and synced the carbs....

She ran okay, but not like I thought she should. This was late November last year; at this point, I said 'screw it'...or something along those lines

My wife's ridden it a few times this year, and while it's rideable, it has been funky. Backfiring at times, mostly when cold, and not holding a steady idle. When on the throttle, though, good and smooth power.

I'd finally had a long enough break from tearing that bike apart that I could stand doing it again. Cleaned carbs (again), re-jetted based on reading several forums, and finally got the float level set correctly (I admit, I mucked it up last fall). They were off, which is likely explains the idle/backfiring issues.

Put her back together again last night, and what a difference! Had to re-sync the carbs, but once I did she idled great. There's an occasional hiccup, but I wonder if that's normal for carbs? Doesn't really bother me at this point. Went for a quick spin and was pleased. The rejetting made it pull harder from mid to redline, though I think I might've lost a little on the bottom... Gonna have her ride it when she gets home and see what she thinks.

I took 'er out for a nice ride this evening, and she ran like a champ. After 2 years, I think I can finally declare victory!

Admittedly, it could probably have been fixed a lot sooner if I'd taken it to a shop

1. I'm cheap.
2. Opportunity to learn, though I should have quit after 5 or 6 opportunities

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-10-2011, 02:15 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Chalk it up to a learning experience, at least you know it's done right.

post #3 of 9 Old 08-10-2011, 04:21 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Very cool that you kept at it and got it sorted out. I'm sure your wife will appreciate it when she's riding a smooth bike. Congrats.

post #4 of 9 Old 08-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Been there done that on my first dirt bike. Not fun.

And now you know why people like me say "Screw it. If it don't have FI on it, I ain't buying it".

Now, where is a fuel injected lawn mower.....

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #5 of 9 Old 08-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Been there done that on my first dirt bike. Not fun.

And now you know why people like me say "Screw it. If it don't have FI on it, I ain't buying it".

Now, where is a fuel injected lawn mower.....

i keep saying the same thing... but its where is my fuel injected CRF450X.... they have only had FI'd 450r's for years now....

carbs can be fun. its a rewarding experience to get something jetted and running just right.

post #6 of 9 Old 08-11-2011, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
GLG-20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
carbs can be fun. its a rewarding experience to get something jetted and running just right.
It really is a sense of accomplishment when you finally get it right. Now I can't wait for my wife to take it for a spin

Forgot to add in the original post that I de-snorkeled the air cleaner (and jetted accordingly)...you can really hear it breathing now

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #7 of 9 Old 08-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdog View Post
It really is a sense of accomplishment when you finally get it right. Now I can't wait for my wife to take it for a spin

Forgot to add in the original post that I de-snorkeled the air cleaner (and jetted accordingly)...you can really hear it breathing now
mmm... thats another beauty of carbs.... no need for a special 300 dollar power commander...

post #8 of 9 Old 08-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Tesserarius

Carbs are fine if you take your time and keep fresh gas in them. Its the sitting that kills them. I had a similar battle with an 82 Honda Sabre. My brother had taken it to a shop, turns out they put in the wrong size jets. I didn't notice that till round 3 of tearing into it.

Don't steal. The government hates competition.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrock86 View Post
Carbs are fine if you take your time and keep fresh gas in them. Its the sitting that kills them. I had a similar battle with an 82 Honda Sabre. My brother had taken it to a shop, turns out they put in the wrong size jets. I didn't notice that till round 3 of tearing into it.
ya its a constant battle round my house to keep all the dirbikes running... i like to start them from time to time, and i have learned to drain the fuel outta the carb when im done. gas sitting in a carb for over a year blows.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode