F4i troubles after valve adjustment - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 07-05-2014, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

F4i troubles after valve adjustment

I got her put back together today, started it up. No issues there, it sounded really tappy, but I figured that was because I had to set a couple of valves on the loose side since I didn't have the exact shim I needed.

I took it for a test ride, and first thing I noticed was the temp gauge was all over the place. It would go from 182 then flick up to 214 then to 193 then to 221 and all in between every couple of seconds. I stopped at a gas station and turned it off to pump gas, then it wouldn't crank and was showing 230. I let it cool for 5 minutes and it cranked back up. On the way home it was getting super hot but the temp was still jumping around and the bike was surging really badly. I made sure I hooked all the connectors back up, and go no error codes.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-05-2014, 02:42 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeeDeeGee View Post
I got her put back together today, started it up. No issues there, it sounded really tappy, but I figured that was because I had to set a couple of valves on the loose side since I didn't have the exact shim I needed. I took it for a test ride, and first thing I noticed was the temp gauge was all over the place. It would go from 182 then flick up to 214 then to 193 then to 221 and all in between every couple of seconds. I stopped at a gas station and turned it off to pump gas, then it wouldn't crank and was showing 230. I let it cool for 5 minutes and it cranked back up. On the way home it was getting super hot but the temp was still jumping around and the bike was surging really badly. I made sure I hooked all the connectors back up, and go no error codes.
did you do anything with your cam chain/cams? Maybe your chain jumped a tooth if you had the tensioner loose. Did It work fine before you did valves? Couple of second is not enough to fluctuate temp. That much. Maybe faulty temp. Sensor?

post #3 of 13 Old 07-05-2014, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
did you do anything with your cam chain/cams? Maybe your chain jumped a tooth if you had the tensioner loose. Did It work fine before you did valves? Couple of second is not enough to fluctuate temp. That much. Maybe faulty temp. Sensor?
I removed the cams to replace the shims, but I made sure everything was right before putting them back in. I even checked that piston 1 was at TDC with a zip tie in the spark plug hole, and the cams were in like the manual says. It started and ran fine in the garage, the valve train is just really noisy.

I just went and checked, and it looks like a bolt on the frame that holds two grounds for the wiring harness was loose. I tightened it back up started the bike and let it heat up to 224, the gauge slowly went up like normal, then the fan came on and it started coming down pretty quick. I'm hoping that was all it was. The surging got worse when the bike got hot, but I'm wondering if the surging at low RPM could be the throttle bodies being out of sync.

My valve train is REALLY noisy now, and I hate to break back into it but I may have too. Valves that are a little loose can't cause damage though right? It's only when they are too tight and burn valves?

Here is a video of the valve train noise.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED

post #4 of 13 Old 07-05-2014, 05:11 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
I removed the cams to replace the shims, but I made sure everything was right before putting them back in. I even checked that piston 1 was at TDC with a zip tie in the spark plug hole, and the cams were in like the manual says. It started and ran fine in the garage, the valve train is just really noisy. I just went and checked, and it looks like a bolt on the frame that holds two grounds for the wiring harness was loose. I tightened it back up started the bike and let it heat up to 224, the gauge slowly went up like normal, then the fan came on and it started coming down pretty quick. I'm hoping that was all it was. The surging got worse when the bike got hot, but I'm wondering if the surging at low RPM could be the throttle bodies being out of sync. My valve train is REALLY noisy now, and I hate to break back into it but I may have too. Valves that are a little loose can't cause damage though right? It's only when they are too tight and burn valves? Here is a video of the valve train noise.Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcTWVs7UfMI
did your reset your auto cam chain tensioner? Hard to tell but it sounds a little like chain noise. Did you check cam marks with the chain being under the tension? Was the engine in TDC before you removed the tensioner?

post #5 of 13 Old 07-05-2014, 06:35 PM
Tesserarius

Quick fix
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (242.3 KB, 21 views)

post #6 of 13 Old 07-06-2014, 03:49 AM
Honda919Rider #1

Did you follow the factory service manual step by step? If so, must of missed something. Good luck!

post #7 of 13 Old 07-06-2014, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Well I'm totally effed now. Everything was adjusted properly, was putting the valve cover on and a bolt snapped off, down in the head. I was barely using any force either.

A local shop said they would try and drill it out, but a drill won't even fit in the space so the head will probably need to be removed. I should have paid them the $400 to do it, because this is probably going to cost me much more than that now.

-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #8 of 13 Old 07-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Honda919Rider #1

Try to stick a long pick down in there - more times than not, you can twist it loose then use a magnet to pull it out.

Cam timing was spot on?

CCT OK?

I feel for you, been there before, I'll be there again....

post #9 of 13 Old 07-06-2014, 04:14 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Well I'm totally effed now. Everything was adjusted properly, was putting the valve cover on and a bolt snapped off, down in the head. I was barely using any force either. A local shop said they would try and drill it out, but a drill won't even fit in the space so the head will probably need to be removed. I should have paid them the $400 to do it, because this is probably going to cost me much more than that now.
that sucks. Just take the whole engine out of he bike. Shouldn't be to hard. That will give you enough room to do what you gotta do. This vid should help you out.

post #10 of 13 Old 07-06-2014, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Try to stick a long pick down in there - more times than not, you can twist it loose then use a magnet to pull it out.

Cam timing was spot on?

CCT OK?

I feel for you, been there before, I'll be there again....
Yeah the cams were spot on just as the service manual specified with the IN level with the top of the head on the intake side and the EX level with the head on the exhaust side. Double checked them again once the tension was on.

The CCT worked as far as I could tell. Meaning I felt it pop into place when I released the mechanism once installed.

The guy at this shop says he has a right angle drill so hopefully they can get it out, they are open Tuesday. I've tried to tap it loose with a small screw driver with no luck so far. I may try again tomorrow night, but at this point I'm reluctant to mess anything up worse.

-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #11 of 13 Old 07-11-2014, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Well the shop just notified me he was able to extract the bolt without pulling the cylinder head off. I'm so relieved. I got the new bolt in from Bikebandit yesterday, picking the bike up in the morning, hoping to have her back in one piece after lunch.

-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #12 of 13 Old 07-12-2014, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

The nightmare continues. I got it all back together and started it Thought everything was great. Then I see some light white smoke coming from the headers. Apparently I blew the head gasket during the first test run when the fan wasn't turning on, the bike overheated.

This is awesome.

-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #13 of 13 Old 07-20-2014, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Well the oil leak was coming from the timing hole cover that I forgot to fully torque down. I overreacted a little bit out of frustration. I got an FI error light which turned out to be a loose connection thank God. The motor sounds a lot better with the valves adjusted properly now. Idle is a little low but I figure maybe the adjuster was moved slightly while I had the throttle bodies off.

Changed the coolant to water + water wetter today. Plan on getting it fully back together tonight.

-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode