F-16 Windscreen Quick Mount - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 4 Old 01-28-2015, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
PB

F-16 Windscreen Quick Mount

Looking for some help and collective group thought on an issue I've been pondering.

I picked up a used F-16 touring windscreen to keep the wind down on longer highway trips. I did a few this past fall that were 1-3 hours in length and I think a little wind relief would go a long way into making them more pleasurable. That being said, I love the naked look of the 919 and don't want the windscreen on it all the time. This would ideally be an as needed type of thing.

From looking at other 919s with windscreens as well as the one I bought, which I have yet to put on, they bolt on pretty securely. That makes sense since it'll take a lot of force from the wind at highway speed. The hardware mounted on a 919 can be seen pretty well here. That's all well and good, but I don't think it's a good idea to be bolting the windscreen on each time I want to go on the highway and then unbolting it afterwords. I can just imagine stripping things out and weakening the mounts. Those things aren't meant to be used like that.

This brings me to the issue: Is there a good way to quick mount the windscreen? I know there are systems on Harleys and other cruisers, but I got to imagine there's some way to do it with the 919. If not a quick release type system, the next best thing I can imagine is using something like this, a stud bolt, on the headlight housing:

And then using a separate lock nut to secure the windscreen to that. Granted, there'd be small bolts sticking out from the housing, but at least you wouldn't have to bolt and unbolt that portion all the time. You'd just be dealing with a few nuts which are very inexpensive to replace (when the nylon locking wears out).

Just brainstorming some ideas here and wondering what your thoughts are on this. Any suggestions are appreciated. I figure there's enough engineers and handy people on here to figure something out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-28-2015, 05:42 PM
Aquilifer

You could probably just use some allthread and a nylock nut. It's not the prettiest solution but what I would do is just use the idea of what you have above, make the allthread just long enough so that you can tighten down the headlight bucket properly with the nylock nut acting as the "bolt head" for the headlight bucket, and then you just leave enough thread on the outside so that you can put an acorn not on top of it that has a nice stainless finish. When you want to put the screen on those little headlight wings are usually only about 1/16 thick (if that) you just loosen up the acorn nut, slide it on, and then you cinch the acorn nut down to tighten it.

That will allow for you to be able to just loosen the nut and go, but still have something on the all thread/stud that will not look like a broken off bolt.

I have a Givi windscreen that is a lot heavier than the F-16 and I was worried about having to cinch it down with the headlight bolt down too much and cracking the plastic of the headlight bucket. I'd take a picture of it for you but I took the windscreen off and set the mounting bolts somewhere where I wouldn't forget them while I was taking pictures to list the bike for sell, lol.

Maybe this weekend I will finally admit I lost them and make some new ones (for my other Hawk), and if I find or make some new ones then I'll take a picture and show them to you.

All you need to make it is some M8 allthread and a hacksaw, along with a couple of spare matching nuts so you can tighten them together and then clamp them down with your clamping tool of choice (while cutting them with the hacksaw or a cutoff tool). Then after you have finished cutting you can run the nuts off to clean up the end threads where you cut it.

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom
post #3 of 4 Old 01-29-2015, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
PB

Rob thanks that's another great idea. Very much along the lines of what I was thinking. I'm leaning towards combining our ideas and doing this:

M8 x 1 25 Thread Pitch Stainless Metric Hex Pan Head Straight Stud Bolt Screw Nu | eBay

With an acorn nut cap. I agree I could make a stud bolt as you said, but if I can find these for a couple bucks, I'll likely do that instead.

Dan

post #4 of 4 Old 01-29-2015, 01:32 PM
Aquilifer

Yeah when I made my first set I had some spare M8 bolts that were about 3 inches long and a bunch lf spare nylock and acorn head bolts sitting around. I just cut the bolt head and excess at the time. I was replacing hardware on another bike so it was just using up some spare parts I had.

Rob C

88 Blue Hawk (NT650) Project Pics - http://tinyurl.com/clw8h3q
2000 DL650 - Being ridden but make me an offer if interested...
2002 DL1000 V-Strom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode