ever broken a c-clip? - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 16 Old 03-26-2012, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

ever broken a c-clip?

I'm changing the fork seals on my 82 sabre and the c-clip broke. I got hold of it with the special pliers I borrowed from the auto parts store and it just broke! Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pemc621 View Post
I'm changing the fork seals on my 82 sabre and the c-clip broke. I got hold of it with the special pliers I borrowed from the auto parts store and it just broke! Any suggestions?
yup! get a new one!

post #3 of 16 Old 03-26-2012, 01:18 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminD3 View Post
yup! get a new one!
I was going to suggest the same answer but this solution seems way too simple. This issue needs some pondering. I'll post something once I'm done pondering.

post #4 of 16 Old 03-26-2012, 01:38 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I think replacing the clip could be the best solution there is.

is it 50mm circlip that broke? Did you get OEM seals as a set (p/n 51490-KAZ-003)? If so, there should be new clips included. If you got them individually, new circlip part # is 51447-461-003

post #5 of 16 Old 03-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
I was going to suggest the same answer but this solution seems way too simple. This issue needs some pondering. I'll post something once I'm done pondering.
lol... it does seem a little to obvious, but.. what can ya do?! i like to "jump, to conclusions" ..get it? its a jump to conclusions mat!

post #6 of 16 Old 03-26-2012, 01:53 PM
The Cripple

guys, i think what he's talking about is that the c-clamp broke when he was trying to remove it, therefore he CAN'T remove it now and needs to remove it.

if i'm correct, your best bet is to use 2 thin screwdrivers to try and pry it apart, or 1 thin screwdriver and 1 thin pair of needle nose pliers. should be able to get them off pretty quickly.

post #7 of 16 Old 03-26-2012, 02:20 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
guys, i think what he's talking about is that the c-clamp broke when he was trying to remove it, therefore he CAN'T remove it now and needs to remove it.

if i'm correct, your best bet is to use 2 thin screwdrivers to try and pry it apart, or 1 thin screwdriver and 1 thin pair of needle nose pliers. should be able to get them off pretty quickly.
maybe you are right. But if c-clip which holds seals is broken, he should be able to take everything apart as c-clip doesn't hold anything anymore.

VitaminD, that's the worst idea I've ever heard in my life

post #8 of 16 Old 03-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post

VitaminD, that's the worst idea I've ever heard in my life

lolol.. that is a ted-able idea..

I havnt seen that in a long time.. i think i need to rewatch it.

post #9 of 16 Old 03-26-2012, 02:45 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminD3 View Post
lolol.. that is a ted-able idea..

I havnt seen that in a long time.. i think i need to rewatch it.
Tom Smykowski: It was a "Jump to Conclusions" mat. You see, it would be this mat that you would put on the floor... and would have different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO.
Michael Bolton: That's the worst idea I've ever heard in my life, Tom.
Samir: Yes, this is horrible, this idea.

post #10 of 16 Old 03-26-2012, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:

You're absolutely correct! On one side, the clip was in three pieces and I was able to get it out with a needlenose. When I took the dust cover off the other one, I lifted out one end and quickly realized the clip pliers were going to be useless. I got the other side out of the groove and got a screwdriver behind it but that end broke off too.

Now what I've got is about 2/3 of a c-clip (enough to put pressure from side to side) and I can't get under it. I even found some dental looking prying tools but can't get under it.

I'm thinking of taking the fork to a shop and see what they can do.

post #11 of 16 Old 03-26-2012, 11:21 PM
Pilus Posterior

Ever broken a G-spot?

post #12 of 16 Old 03-27-2012, 10:56 AM
The Cripple

ok pem, i've had this happen to be me before. your best bet is to get 2 reasonably thin screwdrivers and try to spread the c-clip apart. dont worry about trying to remove it at that point. your goal is to try and stretch it out or even better, break it straight down the middle. takes a little bit of time and patience but you WILL prevail.

post #13 of 16 Old 03-27-2012, 11:35 AM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
Ever broken a G-spot?
Quote:
... i've had this happen to be me before.
Well now, doesn't THAT explain some things.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #14 of 16 Old 03-27-2012, 12:04 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00gl3it View Post
Well now, doesn't THAT explain some things.

oh it's broken alright! why do you think my wife is so exhausted afterwards? it dont take much for her to "finish" anymore. and usually long before i do

post #15 of 16 Old 04-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Machine Head

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Here I'm using e clips to hold my pins in the ultrasonic before assembly.

image-3380497572.jpg

image-1660299313.jpg

-Mark-
There's gold in them hills
post #16 of 16 Old 04-13-2012, 05:34 PM
Old, Bold rider

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Veteran Community Leadership 
Total Awards: 3

Unless I am totally missing the mark here the c clip is internal, not external, and therein lies the problem: it's nearly impossible to get 'behind" it to collapse it sufficiently for removal, and with the seal in place the stantion tube can't be removed and is at great risk of scratching or other damage while attempting to remove the clip. It will be difficult, but not impossible.

First, remove the top cap, spring, and drain the oil. Next, collapse the fork completely and mark where the seal bears against it in that position. Extend the fork and apply a couple layers of duct tape with it's lower edge just below the mark and collapse the fork until the tape pushes against the seal and secure it in that position with a couple bunjee cords. Now even if the hard chrome is scratched it will not be on a sealing surface.

Now the fun part. Measure as accurately as possible the depth of the upper surface of the circlip to the topmost surface of the slider tube. Add half of the thickness of the circlip to that measurement and mark a spot on the outside of the slider corresponding to about 1/4 of the remaining part of the clip. Now drill a 3/32" hole straight into the slider until the drill hits the clip. Stop there. All that's left to do is insert a hard piece of steel rod, a cut off shank of another 3/32" drill works nicely, and clamp the slider in a well padded vise against the aluminum on one jaw and the pin (as straight as possible) on the other. Slowly close the vise pushing against the pin and the clip will start to move away from the groove. All that's left is to place the tip of a screwdriver under the clip and gently pry upward while pushing against the clip and at a certain point it will probably fly across the garage and put a big scratch in the paint on your Ferrari. (Murphy's law of selective physics at work here) If you also own a Yugo there is not one chance in hell it will hit it!

Once the clip is out clean everything and seal up the hole with JB weld.

That should do it.

Rob

If it has already been done, it is safe to assume it is possible to do it.
On the other hand, if it has not been done never assume it is impossible to do it.
------- Rob --------

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode