Engine Guard Vs Frame Slider - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 17 Old 07-13-2016, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Engine Guard Vs Frame Slider

Hi there. Tried posting this the other day but can't see it anywhere so I'm trying again. I just bought a Honda 919. Im desperate to prevent it getting damaged from being knocked over by cars, as I leave it on the street outside my work in NYC, and that happened frequently with my old bike.

I was going to install long frame sliders on it, but the PO already installed this engine guard where they would go. My question is will this provide any kind of decent protection after a tip over or should I just remove it and install frame sliders? Its about an inch and a half max so feel like it doesn't come out far enough.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7921.JPG (37.5 KB, 83 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-13-2016, 03:28 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

I've not seen this type before, can you post some more pics? From the side perhaps?

post #3 of 17 Old 07-13-2016, 05:59 PM
Discen

I'm no expert, but that doesn't look to me like it will protect much of anything at all. It almost looks like there is a piece missing. Have you tried googling up case (or engine) guard for the 919 or Hornet to see identify who made it?

post #4 of 17 Old 07-14-2016, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Heres a pic from the side

Pic 1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7919.JPG (37.2 KB, 67 views)

post #5 of 17 Old 07-14-2016, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Another pic, sorry not sure why its flipping them round
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7920.JPG (40.3 KB, 66 views)

post #6 of 17 Old 07-14-2016, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by robroten View Post
I'm no expert, but that doesn't look to me like it will protect much of anything at all. It almost looks like there is a piece missing. Have you tried googling up case (or engine) guard for the 919 or Hornet to see identify who made it?
Yeah I did a bunch of research on the subject before I bought the bike and didn't come across this one. Most of the engine guards were the crash cage type ones.

You could be right, the things that are jutting out at both ends just have a hole in the middle, which to me looks like something should go in it, but thats just a hunch

post #7 of 17 Old 07-14-2016, 07:54 AM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

From just looking at my GIVI guard (cage) I'd suggest that, to be effective, any protection needs to stick out at least 4.5" from the frame mounting point in the radiator area. That's about what the GIVI does and I know that works - LOL.

post #8 of 17 Old 07-14-2016, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Sounds like I should just try and remove it and install frame sliders then?

post #9 of 17 Old 07-14-2016, 08:42 AM
Tesserarius

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 6

Yeah. It looks like it would be better than that. Although Idk what to do about the tank.

post #10 of 17 Old 07-14-2016, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanktm View Post
Yeah. It looks like it would be better than that. Although Idk what to do about the tank.
How do you mean?

post #11 of 17 Old 07-14-2016, 08:53 AM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarko21 View Post
Sounds like I should just try and remove it and install frame sliders then?
Well, I agree w/ robroten, it looks like something is missing.
I sort of like the structure from what i can see. Can't you contact the previous owner and ask about it? It could be better than just sliders if it were complete.
In the short term maybe attach sliders to the front mounting holes. That could be a cheap compromise.

post #12 of 17 Old 07-14-2016, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark919 View Post
Well, I agree w/ robroten, it looks like something is missing.
I sort of like the structure from what i can see. Can't you contact the previous owner and ask about it? It could be better than just sliders if it were complete.
In the short term maybe attach sliders to the front mounting holes. That could be a cheap compromise.
There were two owners and it was the original guy that did it, so no. Yeah I kinda figured that too, but it doesn't look like theres anyway to mount a slider on it, the inside is just a hole with a big bolt on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7939.JPG (28.6 KB, 65 views)

post #13 of 17 Old 07-14-2016, 02:54 PM
Discen

It looks like something similar to this but yours are missing the pucks that may stick in the holes. I don't think these folks made them CRASH CAGES - ImpaktechUSA but it does look like something similar.

(just intrigued about your parts and did a bit of googling)

post #14 of 17 Old 07-16-2016, 10:35 AM
The Cripple

They actually look homemade.... very well home made that is. Try to see if you can source some pucks to put in the mount points on both ends.

Generally though, they will not protect your engine covers.

post #15 of 17 Old 07-18-2016, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Follow up to this story, took the bike in for service on Friday and asked if they'd remove the guards so I can install sliders. When I come to pick the bike up the mechanic said he didn't remove the guards because theres actually a small chunk of your engine casing missing (pic 1), and the engine is actually moving, so we installed a bolt to hold the guard and the engine in place (pic 2 shows before and pic 3 after).

This was a bit disconcerting to find out. I asked if there were any options for me to install sliders and he said no. I asked if I could just install them in the little hole next to the normal mounting place (pic 4) and he said no, can anyone explain why that wouldn't work to me? Also any ideas for how I could add a bit of protection by essentially extending the guard without removing it? Appreciate any advice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7943.JPG (27.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7940.JPG (27.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7944.JPG (28.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7945.JPG (28.4 KB, 45 views)

post #16 of 17 Old 08-25-2016, 12:49 PM
Canadian Blue

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 

Clarko - Just a follow up on your post. Any resolution to your frame slider issues?
With the cracked-off piece on the engine case, that you found, it's likely a PO had sliders mounted to the engine and then dropped the bike. Not unusual to crack a piece of the mount in that case. Previous owner is just lucky the broken piece was not larger.
It should not take too much effort to add an extension off the frame you have to make an effective engine guard. And you might need to find a more inventive mechanic or a buddy to help out... my 2 cents.

post #17 of 17 Old 08-25-2016, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks for enquiring, I see you also helped me out with my fuel consumption query also. No resolution I'm afraid, I looked into getting the SW-motech engine guard, which I would of happily done, but I took the installation instructions to the mechanic and he said it wouldn't work unfortunately. He said only thing he could think of would be to get a machinist to try and fix the aluminum casing of the engine, but had no idea how expensive that would be. It would be great if I could just extend the pieces that are currently on there, but I didn't see anything commercially available that would do the trick, and I'm not the handiest to come up with a solution myself

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode