Engine burning oil - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 14 Old 02-17-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Engine burning oil

I was wondering if it was normal for the 919 to burn a little bit of oil. In about 3k miles the oil level went from filling the entire sight glass, to just below the top line. This is my first experience with a vehicle that uses the same oil in the transmission and engine, so maybe this is a completely normal but I thought I'd ask.

Don't want to turn this into an oil thread but I changed it last with the Honda GN4 stuff, dunno what the previous owner used be he said he never did any of the work himself so I'm guessing it was the same if a Honda dealer did it.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-17-2012, 08:35 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Did you check the fill level after running the engine? The filter soaks a bit of oil when the oil is circulated. Just a thought

Mine uses less than half a quart, if that, between OCIs (5k miles). Some have reported no drops in oil level between changes.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #3 of 14 Old 02-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Left of Centre

I've got one of the no-fill between changes bikes, but it might relate to the fact that I don't bump it off the rev limiter all the time. By which I mean, it gets a pretty easy life with me..

post #4 of 14 Old 02-17-2012, 09:05 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

And BTW.... you're not suppose to fill the sight glass. You invite the engine to consume oil by doing that. Keep her between the upper line and the halfway mark when you fill and see if you still get a drop in level.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #5 of 14 Old 02-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Milites Gregarius

Some oils burn off a bit quicker than others,it may burn off quickly,then level off. Never run with too much oil.
If it's concerning you then top it up,with help if it's a sight glass type. Get it perfect,then keep a vigil,checking every 100 miles or so. If it doesn't taper off after 1000 miles take it in.
If you want to,check the plugs for oil fouling,or a shiny black coating of fresh wet oil. That could indicate a valve seal failing.
Have someone start it when the engine is cold,after sitting over night while you stand behind it watching the exhaust The black puff of smoke at start up is a tell tale sign of worn rings.
Now I have seen some low mile Harleys(5000 miles) vaporize a quart of oil in a 3000 mile oil change interval. The dealer called it normal. Sure,normal for that crap factory fill syn 3. A top quality synth like red-line or amsoil doesn't experience this kind of issue. You shared sump guys would benefit from a very stout thick 5w-40 like rotella.
Or it could be you just got a bad batch of oil. Top up,monitor it closely,if it remains excessive take it in.
Good luck. I hope it's something simple,like a loose oil pan bolt.

post #6 of 14 Old 02-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Pilus Posterior

IMO you may have had it slightly over fill. Mine does not use any oil between changes (5-6000 kms) and I fill it by measuring the correct amount which leaves the oil level just under the top line in the sight glass. Any over that is too much and I suspect your motor is just sorting out it's correct level.

I'd not be concerned unless it starts to consume oil making the visible level lower than half way between the two lines. Measured when the oil is warm and the bike level on both wheels (not on a race stand - this gives a false reading).

post #7 of 14 Old 02-17-2012, 10:01 PM
Milites Gregarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanB
IMO you may have had it slightly over fill. Mine does not use any oil between changes (5-6000 kms) and I fill it by measuring the correct amount which leaves the oil level just under the top line in the sight glass. Any over that is too much and I suspect your motor is just sorting out it's correct level.

I'd not be concerned unless it starts to consume oil making the visible level lower than half way between the two lines. Measured when the oil is warm and the bike level on both wheels (not on a race stand - this gives a false reading).
This sounds like the best advise so far. Keep an eye on it. If it's a bigger issue I'm sure it will present itself.

post #8 of 14 Old 02-18-2012, 04:05 AM
Serial Monogamist

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 21

Did you "pre-load" the filter before you screwed it on? I usually fill the filter up twice to the top and let it soak up some fresh oil before I screw it in place.

Just a thought.

Doc

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS EARLY APEX."
post #9 of 14 Old 02-18-2012, 05:35 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

If your sight glass is completely covered with oil you have overfilled it. An oil and filter change requires 3.8 quarts and will put the level to the top line in the sight glass.

post #10 of 14 Old 02-18-2012, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Thanks for the responses guys. I did over fill the engine slightly at the last change, I even drained some out before running it and got it to where the glass was almost completely filled (still past the top line, but I gave up)
see below
https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...oil-28492.html

Something I didn't think about until just now, and I'm embarrassed to admit, is it is may have been because I had just ran the bike, I didn't think about it until I read the responses, and I can't remember if I checked it before I went for a ride or after I'm gonna check it again today after the bike has sat all night,

next oil change, which is coming up in 1k miles, I'm gonna use a measuring cup and get the right amount in there.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #11 of 14 Old 02-18-2012, 07:34 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 9

Just drain 6 ounces out of one quart and dump it in. Most of the containers are graduated these days, makes life much easier.

post #12 of 14 Old 02-18-2012, 08:12 AM
Le So Cal Troll

you also have to take into consideration the small amount of oil consumed by the crank case breather in the form of oil vapor.

that being said, the "oil burning" you describe is nothing to worry about, like others state probably either 1 not exactly the same level of the bike, or 2. slightly overfilled and just using some to get back to its proper state.

That being said... i just dump a gallon of rotella t in her when i do an oil change and fogeddaboutit! .2 gt aint gonna hurt nothin.

post #13 of 14 Old 02-18-2012, 02:24 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Gallon and extended filter gets you between the halfway and upper line every time. Mobil 1 M110, Bosch 3323, Purolator 16410 to name a few.

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

post #14 of 14 Old 02-19-2012, 06:57 AM
Aquilifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewebay1 View Post
Gallon and extended filter gets you between the halfway and upper line every time. Mobil 1 M110, Bosch 3323, Purolator 16410 to name a few.
What he said

Rich

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode