Electrical problems, trouble starting, dies while riding - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 12 Old 07-23-2014, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

04 Honda 919: Electrical problems, trouble starting, dies while riding

5 days ago. I purchase a 2004 matte uranium Honda 919. 6972 miles. $3100. Ride home 30 miles. Runs great. Smile on my face.

4 days ago.Fuel light pops on, fill it up with Shell premium. I turn the key to the on position. Nothing happens. Turn off, turn on, nothing. Sit on bike and hold it upright. Power comes on, starts, runs great.

3 days ago, I was riding. FI light pops up, slow down to a stop light, dies. Starts back up.

2 days ago, turn key on, nothing. Sit on bike, nothing. Turn key off and on. Hit starter, all lights/dash turn off. Turn key on, nothing. Off and back on. I get a very weak fuel pump noise. After a minute of doing this. Fires up.

1 day ago, same issues with starting, ran great.

Today, same issues with starting. I am riding and the FI light comes on and flashes a code this time, it was short but I didn't catch it. Bike dies. Pop it in 3rd, starts, dies shortly after. I roll into a grocery store lot, get groceries. Turn key, nothing. Turn key, lights on, hit starter, all go out. About a minute later I am able to start it and ride home without issue.

One thing that struck me odd is that 3 times I went to start. It responded with power immediately after being dead when I sat on the bike and held it upright.

The previous owner said he kept the battery on a tender over winter. It is 2-3 years old. He said that he has never had any issues with the bike.

Not related to my bike problems, but first post here:
I've had my eye on a Honda 919 for a little over year. I've been obsessing over it a little bit. I can't stop smiling and staring at it. Such an awesome machine.

This is my 3rd season riding. My second bike, first being a 07' Ninja 650r. While that was a fun little machine it doesn't even begin to compare to the 919. The suspension on the 919 is much tighter and responsive. More comfortable as well going over bumps. The 919 feels much lighter even though it's about 30lbs heavier.

The smoothness of the acceleration on the 919 is awesome and holy sh*t does the 919 take off. 1st gear on the 650 tops out around 30, 2nd 50. With the heavy engine breaking of the twin it feels like you're stressing the machine and run out of power quick.

Don't get me wrong the 650r is a great bike performance and looks wise. But the 919 just does everything way better. The legendary engine, the classic styling and this matte uranium color. I feel like I have a crush on a new girl at work, petite, likes to play video games, camp, ride bikes and guitar. I can't stop looking at it.

Here's some pictures, just put some rim tape on earlier tonight:
imgur: the simple image sharer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 01:59 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

First, check your battery cables and the ground point under the tank. Then have your battery load tested. I would also follow the instructions in the service manual to retrieve the code the FI light flashed.

post #3 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 07:00 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
First, check your battery cables and the ground point under the tank. Then have your battery load tested. I would also follow the instructions in the service manual to retrieve the code the FI light flashed.
Second both of these... also, the kill switch contacts have been known to go bad if it's used a lot... but I'm not sure that this would cause what your are describing

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)

post #4 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 08:49 AM
The Cripple

Any pc3? Sounds like a connection problem with the pc3 due to the fuel injection light.

post #5 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 09:03 AM
Tirone

Lift the tank and check fuel pump wires, I had one corrode and cause me similar problems.

post #6 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Any pc3? Sounds like a connection problem with the pc3 due to the fuel injection light.
No PC3. Going to check the battery and wires under the tank ASAP. Thanks, I'll update the thread as I make progress.

post #7 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 12:35 PM
Discen

I had the same thing happen to mine. Found out it was the fuel pump and relay. $450 later, I'm still waiting to get the parts. Nice bike tho man.

post #8 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

Stripped bolt in the battery. Replaced it, runs like a champ! Thanks everyone!

post #9 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 04:22 PM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Welcome!

post #10 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 04:36 PM
(-(-(-(-(- -)-)-)-)-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sradwar View Post
Stripped bolt in the battery. Replaced it, runs like a champ! Thanks everyone!
Well damn, easy happy endings ftw. Welcome to the forum BTW!

My classified(s):
Nothing at the moment

----------------
------------
---------
------
---
- '96 Race-retired GSXR 750 (Sold)
- '01 RC51 SP1 (Sold)
- '03 919

"Security is mostly a superstition, it does not exist in nature: avoiding danger in the long run is no safer than outright being exposed. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."-Helen Keller
post #11 of 12 Old 07-24-2014, 06:10 PM
Yo no sť nada

That is a clean looking niner!

post #12 of 12 Old 07-26-2014, 10:31 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 3

And the bulletproof 919 strikes again!

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode