Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Dust seals removal.

687 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Islandboy 
#1 ·
Somebody please tell me the best way to remove old dust seals from the rear wheel. Before I damage the hub.
I've got new ones to go in. The ones in there are 17yrs old and look tattered on the inner.

#2 ·
There's a few ways to do it and it mainly depends on how deep they are. You can use a close fitting socket on an extension from the other side and catch one side, then hammer it out.

You can use a screwdriver and pry it out.

There's a hook type pry device that catches the inner lip and lift's it out.

You can get inside pullers that hook to the inside and pull it out.

Generally a screwdriver works fine because you're not going to reuse it.

The socket trick is a close 2nd. You get a socket that's just a hair smaller than the opening, put a long extension on it, put the extension thru the axle hole, put on the socket, let it catch the lip of the seal or use a washer, screw driver to catch the seal, then hammer from the other side.

Heating things up a bit can help if it's real tight, but usually it's not needed.

https://www.harborfreight.com/Seal-Puller-with-2-Tips-63039.html

The socket trick is basically a seal driver with a long handle that drives from the other side and catches the lip.
https://www.harborfreight.com/bearing-race-and-seal-driver-set-10-pc-63261.html

#3 ·
Thanks Karl. Don't think I can hammer them out from other side since the bearings are staying in.
I've tried the screwdriver but just ended up mangling the seal.
They're in there real tight!
The weird thing is I've had them out before when I replaced my bearings. No problem out and back in then.
I'm going to try and get in there with some side cutters and see if I can't cut the seal up a bit. Then try and pry out.

#4 ·
You can put the axle in there and get a washer about the size of the seal an put it just inside the seal, then hit the axle to drive the washer against the seal.

A heat gun might help, just understand that you have a bearing right there, so if you heat the outside area to get it to expand a bit, that should do the trick.

[EDIT] just to make clear, the socket should be about the same size as the axle, so that it just slides thru the bearing.

#5 ·
The first one I used a long screwdriver and a block of wood. The seal went flying across the shed and I felt my back twinge. The second I cut the seal mostly through with side cutters then pulled it out with multi grips. Both seals well and truly mangled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.