Drive chain adjustment loose then tight. - Wrist Twisters
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By redline919
  • 2 Post By ewmin3m
  • 3 Post By badmoon692008
  • 2 Post By beefsalad
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 10-11-2016, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Summerfield
Posts: 58
Rep Power: 1
 
Drive chain adjustment loose then tight.

Wonder if some one can explain why this is? After adjusting my drive chain (Honda cb900F 919) according to the fsm, when I rotate the wheel, the chain gets tight in certain spots and then gets loose again in certain places. I don't understand why this happens??... TIA

Also the fsm says to not replace it using a clip type master link. What are the pros versus cons using the clip master? My only problem with using the Rivet master is that I don't want to buy the expensive chain breaker/installer tool. Everyone says not to buy a cheap one, just wasting my money there. Going to buy an DID or RK X ring chain probably...Thoughts please

Grumpy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 35 Old 10-11-2016, 10:30 AM
Princeps Prior
 
redline919's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,894
Rep Power: 1
 
Sounds like the chain is shot to me. EK has a new screw style master link that only requires a 10mm wrench to install. I used one on a friend's bike over the weekend. Worked well.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_20161011-122734_1476203382446.png (353.9 KB, 57 views)
CKutz_GO likes this.

redline919 is offline  
post #3 of 35 Old 10-11-2016, 10:40 AM
LDH
Test Rider
 
LDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: by the ocean
Posts: 4,350
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Referral Award 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Wonder if some one can explain why this is? After adjusting my drive chain (Honda cb900F 919) according to the fsm, when I rotate the wheel, the chain gets tight in certain spots and then gets loose again in certain places. I don't understand why this happens??... TIA

Also the fsm says to not replace it using a clip type master link. What are the pros versus cons using the clip master? My only problem with using the Rivet master is that I don't want to buy the expensive chain breaker/installer tool. Everyone says not to buy a cheap one, just wasting my money there. Going to buy an DID or RK X ring chain probably...Thoughts please

That is what happens when the sprocket is out of round. Now in some cases that is a manufacturing problem with the outside diameter of the sprocket teeth not being perfectly round or in other cases it is the bolt holes themselves that are just a tiny bit larger than they need to be and that causes the sprocket to not be perfectly centered on the hub producing the same slack/taut effect.

I have also seen worn wheel bearings cause the same issue as the wheel and/or cush drive hub does not stay true in the swingarm.


Clip type master links fail often and on a motorcycle producing even just 30-40hp that can cause enough inertia to throw a chain right though an engine case let alone a bike producing 100 rwhp like the 919 or much higher as many racebikes do.

LDH is offline  
 
post #4 of 35 Old 10-11-2016, 08:44 PM
The Cripple
 
Pvster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 8,765
Rep Power: 1
 
In this case LDH, it's most likely a chain that's stretched in certain spots and needs to be replaced. Time for new chain and sprockets.

A shop can break and then rivet the new chain for you easily. shouldn't take more than 15 minutes of their time. Then you can bring it back home and swap out the sprockets.

Pvster is offline  
post #5 of 35 Old 10-11-2016, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Summerfield
Posts: 58
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
In this case LDH, it's most likely a chain that's stretched in certain spots and needs to be replaced. Time for new chain and sprockets.

A shop can break and then rivet the new chain for you easily. shouldn't take more than 15 minutes of their time. Then you can bring it back home and swap out the sprockets.

What kind of chain would you recommend and where can I get the best price? Friend of mine suggested a DID Gold X ring...

Grumpy is offline  
post #6 of 35 Old 10-11-2016, 08:54 PM
The Cripple
 
Pvster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 8,765
Rep Power: 1
 
Talk to LDH, he'll hook you up with the right chain and good price. Also change your sprockets. 17/44 is recommended if you do any commuting or distance riding.

Pvster is offline  
post #7 of 35 Old 10-11-2016, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Summerfield
Posts: 58
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Talk to LDH, he'll hook you up with the right chain and good price. Also change your sprockets. 17/44 is recommended if you do any commuting or distance riding.

Ok thanks, him. I'm going to stick with stock sprockets. I don't do any long distance riding. Just local.

Grumpy is offline  
post #8 of 35 Old 10-11-2016, 09:07 PM
Tirone Choolaces
 
marylandmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 11,123
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Just curious, how many miles on the chain?

marylandmike is offline  
post #9 of 35 Old 10-11-2016, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Summerfield
Posts: 58
Rep Power: 1
 
To many, about 17,5k

Grumpy is offline  
post #10 of 35 Old 10-11-2016, 10:30 PM
The Cripple
 
Pvster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 8,765
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
To many, about 17,5k
That's nothing. I've gotten 30k+ before. If a chain is taken care of, it'll last 30k miles easily.

Pvster is offline  
post #11 of 35 Old 10-12-2016, 04:58 AM
Tirone Choolaces
 
marylandmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 11,123
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

17.5K isn't too awful bad, depending on how often it was lubed. The most I got from a chain was about 22K miles using manual lubing. I probably could have gone longer, but it was at the wear limit.

marylandmike is offline  
post #12 of 35 Old 10-12-2016, 07:48 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
badmoon692008's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Neenah, WI
Posts: 2,218
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Ok thanks, him. I'm going to stick with stock sprockets. I don't do any long distance riding. Just local.
you're more than welcome to stick with the stock sprocket *ratio*... but if you're getting a new chain and yours is wore to the point that it has tight spots you need to replace the sprockets when you get a new chain.

also, not sure where you heard that cheap chain tools are a waste of money, but I'm 5 chains in on my $14 harbor freight chain tool without having a single issue.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
badmoon692008 is offline  
post #13 of 35 Old 10-12-2016, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Summerfield
Posts: 58
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmoon692008 View Post
you're more than welcome to stick with the stock sprocket *ratio*... but if you're getting a new chain and yours is wore to the point that it has tight spots you need to replace the sprockets when you get a new chain.

also, not sure where you heard that cheap chain tools are a waste of money, but I'm 5 chains in on my $14 harbor freight chain tool without having a single issue.

I am intending to replace both sprockets with the chain. And I don't know either, but probably from a mechanic...they are anal about tools, snap on, proto, mac, etc. All cost big bucks.

Grumpy is offline  
post #14 of 35 Old 10-12-2016, 09:58 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
badmoon692008's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Neenah, WI
Posts: 2,218
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I am intending to replace both sprockets with the chain. And I don't know either, but probably from a mechanic...they are anal about tools, snap on, proto, mac, etc. All cost big bucks.
gotcha, just wanted to make sure when you said you were "sticking with stock sprockets" that you just meant the tooth count, not the actual sprockets.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
badmoon692008 is offline  
post #15 of 35 Old 10-12-2016, 11:15 AM
Milites Gregarius
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 152
Rep Power: 1
 
I like to keep my bike clean, I mean SPOTLESS clean. I clean my chain every few hundred miles. I replace the rear tire every +/-8K miles depending on wear. I would much rather replace the sprockets and chains every other tire swap than deal with chain lube. I can't understand why anyone would want to deal with a dirty oily chain and sprockets in order to stretch the life of these components. They still sell quality replacements and they aren't difficult to swap when changing the rear tire. I'm cheap but I'm not that cheap.

ray.beard is offline  
post #16 of 35 Old 10-12-2016, 03:14 PM
Centurion
 
ewmin3m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,372
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
You should try this chain oiler ;-) :https://www.motobriiz.com/
Courtesy of our local marylandmike

Best of both worlds, clean as hell, no excess lube and improves chain life span.
I can vouch for the "clean as hell" statement. Still waiting to see how chain life is :P
marylandmike and K1w1Boy like this.

ewmin3m is offline  
post #17 of 35 Old 10-12-2016, 03:55 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
badmoon692008's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Neenah, WI
Posts: 2,218
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray.beard View Post
I like to keep my bike clean, I mean SPOTLESS clean. I clean my chain every few hundred miles. I replace the rear tire every +/-8K miles depending on wear. I would much rather replace the sprockets and chains every other tire swap than deal with chain lube. I can't understand why anyone would want to deal with a dirty oily chain and sprockets in order to stretch the life of these components. They still sell quality replacements and they aren't difficult to swap when changing the rear tire. I'm cheap but I'm not that cheap.
I'd much rather get twice that life out of my chain and deal with some mess. Chains aren't cheap in the slightest, and I'd much rather save the money for another tire than an unnecessary set of chain and sprockets. I'm not sure how much you ride, but if I was changing out chains and sprockets every 16k miles I'd be going though 2 chains every 3 years. At LDH's current really good price for a set that's $130+ a year that I otherwise could stretch much further. My bike is covered in grit and waterspots from riding in the rain and on wet roads the last few days, I don't think I've washed the bike at all this entire year other than what it gets from rain showers, and the one time I cleaned the wheel and swingarm while I had it off to change the tire. I rarely clean my chain, but my chain oiler keeps it lubed (and my swingarm and wheel a little messy) but I wipe down the chain every 1000 miles or so. I'd much rather ride it and take care of basic maintenance than worry about how shiny and pretty it is and waste time in the garage. Between the 919, my race bike, and my girlfriends bike I already spend too much time wrenching and not enough riding.
marylandmike, K1w1Boy and CKutz_GO like this.

Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle - Hunter S. Thompson
I just mı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̨ade you wipe your screen.
-2009 Suzuki GSX-R 750 Race Bike
-2007 Honda 919
-1995 Nighthawk 750 (Tboned)
-1983 KZ 440 (Sold)
badmoon692008 is offline  
post #18 of 35 Old 10-13-2016, 07:13 PM
The Cripple
 
Pvster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 8,765
Rep Power: 1
 
I maintain my chain by cleaning/lubing it as much as I can and then giving it a kero bath every 4-5k miles. Most I got was 30k+ miles out of a DID chain this way. I do it for the peace of mind knowing the chain is taken care of and I'm not going to have a surprise catastrophic failure because I neglected it. Having a chain fail on you at speed is NOT fun. Don't ask me how I know...

Besides, it's a good time to get close and intimate with your bike by cleaning areas you don't normally touch and giving it close inspection to make sure everything is up to par.

Pvster is offline  
post #19 of 35 Old 10-13-2016, 07:39 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior
 
beefsalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,776
Blog Entries: 51
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
I maintain my chain by cleaning/lubing it as much as I can and then giving it a kero bath every 4-5k miles. Most I got was 30k+ miles out of a DID chain this way. I do it for the peace of mind knowing the chain is taken care of and I'm not going to have a surprise catastrophic failure because I neglected it. Having a chain fail on you at speed is NOT fun. Don't ask me how I know...

Besides, it's a good time to get close and intimate with your bike by cleaning areas you don't normally touch and giving it close inspection to make sure everything is up to par.
I did that once.

K1w1Boy and badmoon692008 like this.

if you love your motorcycle, set it free.. if it comes back and hits you.. you highsided
beefsalad is offline  
post #20 of 35 Old 10-16-2016, 07:11 PM
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,638
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I am intending to replace both sprockets with the chain. And I don't know either, but probably from a mechanic...they are anal about tools, snap on, proto, mac, etc. All cost big bucks.
I suggest you pay particular attention to LDH's advice on possible causes.
Personally, I'd first suspect a front and/or rear sprocket that is out of round and/or non-concentric.
Rears have the greatest effect as a rule, as they should, as any percent error there is magnified in terms of dimensional deviation from theoretical plot line by virtue of the larger OD of the rear sprocket.
Don't be surprised by a major range of runout errors as a function of many rear wheel rotations, when multiple causes are involved.
This is because the errors are not always in phase, and some can actually cancel another out.
Fascinating stuff, eh ?

mcromo44 is offline  
post #21 of 35 Old 10-17-2016, 04:43 AM
"CERTIFIABLE"
 
Ken Phenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southeast Texas
Posts: 1,954
Blog Entries: 1
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Chain stretch is not uniform. Some pins run out of grease before others, hence tight/loose spots. Whatever the reason it's time for a new set. IMHO the most important chain spec that is almost never discussed is tensile strength. Assuming proper care an 11,000# chain will last substantially longer than an 8,000# chain.
Ken Phenix is offline  
post #22 of 35 Old 10-17-2016, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Summerfield
Posts: 58
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Phenix View Post
Chain stretch is not uniform. Some pins run out of grease before others, hence tight/loose spots. Whatever the reason it's time for a new set. IMHO the most important chain spec that is almost never discussed is tensile strength. Assuming proper care an 11,000# chain will last substantially longer than an 8,000# chain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
I suggest you pay particular attention to LDH's advice on possible causes.
Personally, I'd first suspect a front and/or rear sprocket that is out of round and/or non-concentric.
Rears have the greatest effect as a rule, as they should, as any percent error there is magnified in terms of dimensional deviation from theoretical plot line by virtue of the larger OD of the rear sprocket.
Don't be surprised by a major range of runout errors as a function of many rear wheel rotations, when multiple causes are involved.
This is because the errors are not always in phase, and some can actually cancel another out.
Fascinating stuff, eh ?

More like rocket Science ... I'm more inclined to go with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Phenix View Post
Chain stretch is not uniform. Some pins run out of grease before others, hence tight/loose spots. Whatever the reason it's time for a new set. IMHO the most important chain spec that is almost never discussed is tensile strength. Assuming proper care an 11,000# chain will last substantially longer than an 8,000# chain.

Grumpy is offline  
post #23 of 35 Old 10-17-2016, 01:56 PM
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,638
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
More like rocket Science ... I'm more inclined to go with...
What I wrote is actually basic level stuff for chain or belt power transmission, so is nowhere even near so called Rocket Science.
Arbitrarily seizing upon just one element as being the assumed single cause, is a flawed approach in terms of proper diagnostics.
Regardless, seeing as you intend to change both sprockets and the chain, and use decent stuff, you’ll likely be A OK.
Now a wee bit more for you and all re chain stretch.
One can have corroded pins and/or spalled pins, and/or worn pins, any or all of which cause bushing I D wear.
This would typically be associated with the lack of, and/or the loss or breakdown of, the pin/bushing lubricant.
One could also have some random side plate yield along the length, noting this would normally be associated with abusive high grip drag starts in particular by low grade chain.
Last, care and use of a chain is far more important than chain size and grade, as long as the size and grade is suitable for the actual use.

mcromo44 is offline  
post #24 of 35 Old 10-17-2016, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Summerfield
Posts: 58
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
What I wrote is actually basic level stuff for chain or belt power transmission, so is nowhere even near so called Rocket Science.
Arbitrarily seizing upon just one element as being the assumed single cause, is a flawed approach in terms of proper diagnostics.
Regardless, seeing as you intend to change both sprockets and the chain, and use decent stuff, you’ll likely be A OK.
Now a wee bit more for you and all re chain stretch.
One can have corroded pins and/or spalled pins, and/or worn pins, any or all of which cause bushing I D wear.
This would typically be associated with the lack of, and/or the loss or breakdown of, the pin/bushing lubricant.
One could also have some random side plate yield along the length, noting this would normally be associated with abusive high grip drag starts in particular by low grade chain.
Last, care and use of a chain is far more important than chain size and grade, as long as the size and grade is suitable for the actual use.

I agree, but with almost 20k on this chain, everything is pretty well worn out. Many things can affect the wear. I got this bike with 10,5k on it. Who knows how the po did maintenance on the bike. I'm buying a quality DID xring /JT sprockers kit, and will take care or it...I just know how I do it, Bro.


Just curious....are you in the engineering field, and no disrespect intended.


Grumpy ask that...

Grumpy is offline  
post #25 of 35 Old 10-17-2016, 02:33 PM
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,638
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I agree, but with almost 20k on this chain, everything is pretty well worn out. Many things can affect the wear. I got this bike with 10,5k on it. Who knows how the po did maintenance on the bike. I'm buying a quality DID xring /JT sprockers kit, and will take care or it...I just know how I do it, Bro.


Just curious....are you in the engineering field, and no disrespect intended.




Grumpy ask that...
You'll surely be fine with you new kit, and I read that many are happy with the 17/44 combination. ( I run a 16/45 for high altitude track specific considerations)
Plus you'll know what you have, in terms of ongoing care.

Yes, I'm in the engineering field.
How could you tell? LoL!
Rotating machinery related, pumps and compressors specifically.
Also a long time recip engine geek, be it fuel burning or steam energized.
Been road riding since 1973.

PS: Seeing "Grumpy" made me think if Bill Jenkins. You are in good company!

mcromo44 is offline  
post #26 of 35 Old 10-17-2016, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Tirone
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Summerfield
Posts: 58
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Been road riding since 1973.

PS: Seeing "Grumpy" made me think if Bill Jenkins. You are in good company!

I got my first motorcycle in 57, at 14 years of age, and have been riding ever since.


Bill Jenkins? Sound familiar, but I can't place him. Someone said I was a Grumpy sob in the morning, before coffee, and it stuck with me.

Grumpy is offline  
post #27 of 35 Old 10-18-2016, 07:56 AM
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,638
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I got my first motorcycle in 57, at 14 years of age, and have been riding ever since.


Bill Jenkins? Sound familiar, but I can't place him. Someone said I was a Grumpy sob in the morning, before coffee, and it stuck with me.
Still riding after all these years, excellent !
You should have lots of stories and insights for us young pups.

As for Jenkins, he is one of top drag racers of all time.
Very sharp guy.
Real innovator, as well as being an ace builder and good shoe.
He revolutionized Pro Stock when he came out with his so called "bird cage" small block fitted Vega in the 70s.

mcromo44 is offline  
post #28 of 35 Old 10-18-2016, 01:47 PM
Tirone Choolaces
 
marylandmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 11,123
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Now here is a worn out sprocket
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1476820009502_1476820149151.jpg (107.7 KB, 18 views)

marylandmike is offline  
post #29 of 35 Old 10-18-2016, 02:03 PM
GLG-20
 
Superdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 1,362
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage
I'm guessing GSXR. That looks like the carrier on the GSXR rear wheel I have on our SV.

Given that...not surprised.

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
Superdog is online now  
post #30 of 35 Old 10-18-2016, 02:18 PM
Tirone Choolaces
 
marylandmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 11,123
Rep Power: 1
 
Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I saw it on Facebook. The guy said he was able to get up to 105 mph, before he noticed it....one of those new slipper chains.

marylandmike is offline  
post #31 of 35 Old 10-18-2016, 05:53 PM
rmb
Let's go!
 
rmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sussex Couty NJ
Posts: 7,650
Rep Power: 1
 

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandmike View Post
I saw it on Facebook. The guy said he was able to get up to 105 mph, before he noticed it....one of those new slipper chains.
He shouldn't be allowed to own a pencil....

rmb is offline  
post #32 of 35 Old 10-18-2016, 06:22 PM
Milites Gregarius
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 152
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Still riding after all these years, excellent !
You should have lots of stories and insights for us young pups.

As for Jenkins, he is one of top drag racers of all time.
Very sharp guy.
Real innovator, as well as being an ace builder and good shoe.
He revolutionized Pro Stock when he came out with his so called "bird cage" small block fitted Vega in the 70s.

I lived in York PA until graduating from college. Unfortunately I was too young to experience those early days of drag racing but I certainly knew of "the old Reliable" cars. Dave Strickler's son is racing a 67 Camero in tribute to his father and Bill Jenkins.

1967 Chevrolet Camaro - Honoring the Father

There is also a racing museum I visit with my father every year and they've had Grumpy cars on display for the past few years.

http://www.emmr.org/images/2016Sprin...OpenHouse6.jpg

Thanks for mentioning Grumpy and sparking my interest again!

ray.beard is offline  
post #33 of 35 Old 10-18-2016, 07:16 PM
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,638
Rep Power: 1
 
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray.beard View Post
I lived in York PA until graduating from college. Unfortunately I was too young to experience those early days of drag racing but I certainly knew of "the old Reliable" cars. Dave Strickler's son is racing a 67 Camero in tribute to his father and Bill Jenkins.

1967 Chevrolet Camaro - Honoring the Father

There is also a racing museum I visit with my father every year and they've had Grumpy cars on display for the past few years.

http://www.emmr.org/images/2016Sprin...OpenHouse6.jpg

Thanks for mentioning Grumpy and sparking my interest again!
My turn to thank you !

I looked at the pic of D S's Dodge and saw Bill Stiles name.
I remember him bigtime, saw him run in his own car.
Bill did much more than just tune for others.

My best year was 72.
I went to three major events three weekends in a row:
1 Cayuga Ontario NHRA Divisional Race (helped Slammin Sammy Miller FC pack chutes)
2 Sanair Quebec NHRA Grandnationals (worked the chain hoist to do an engine change for the Kuhl & Olsen TF car)
3 Kalamazoo Michigan Popular Hotrod Meet(still have as pencil holder the smoked Arias Thermodome piston out of the stroked Donovan 417 in the Peterson & Fitz TFueller, Herm P gave it to me, still warm, and still oily with Amalie Pro 70W oil)
Ahhh, such memories !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for bringing them back.

mcromo44 is offline  
post #34 of 35 Old 10-18-2016, 07:37 PM
Milites Gregarius
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 152
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
My turn to thank you !

I looked at the pic of D S's Dodge and saw Bill Stiles name.
I remember him bigtime, saw him run in his own car.
Bill did much more than just tune for others.

My best year was 72.
I went to three major events three weekends in a row:
1 Cayuga Ontario NHRA Divisional Race (helped Slammin Sammy Miller FC pack chutes)
2 Sanair Quebec NHRA Grandnationals (worked the chain hoist to do an engine change for the Kuhl & Olsen TF car)
3 Kalamazoo Michigan Popular Hotrod Meet(still have as pencil holder the smoked Arias Thermodome piston out of the stroked Donovan 417 in the Peterson & Fitz TFueller, Herm P gave it to me, still warm, and still oily with Amalie Pro 70W oil)
Ahhh, such memories !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for bringing them back.
Check out the photos on the EMMR website. They have a US30 reunion every year and have some big name cars in attendance. Sox and Martin, Grumpy Jenkins, Bruce Larson, Jere Stahl cars and even a Linda Vaughn appearance.

http://www.emmr.org/images/2016YorkU...e%20Days09.jpg

http://www.emmr.org/images/2016YorkU...e%20Days06.jpg

http://www.emmr.org/images/2016YorkU...e%20Days07.jpg

My first job out of high school I worked in an electrical supply warehouse. I worked with Stiles' son and daughter in law. I don't think the son was at all interested in cars.

ray.beard is offline  
post #35 of 35 Old 10-18-2016, 08:00 PM
McTavish
 
mcromo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,638
Rep Power: 1
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray.beard View Post
Check out the photos on the EMMR website. They have a US30 reunion every year and have some big name cars in attendance. Sox and Martin, Grumpy Jenkins, Bruce Larson, Jere Stahl cars and even a Linda Vaughn appearance.

http://www.emmr.org/images/2016YorkU...e%20Days09.jpg

http://www.emmr.org/images/2016YorkU...e%20Days06.jpg

http://www.emmr.org/images/2016YorkU...e%20Days07.jpg

My first job out of high school I worked in an electrical supply warehouse. I worked with Stiles' son and daughter in law. I don't think the son was at all interested in cars.
Thanks for the tip re the site.
Will check it out.

Miss Hurst Linda Vaughn !
As married TF shoe Billy Tidwell.

mcromo44 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome