Downshifting problem with the 919 - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 22 Old 09-30-2011, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Downshifting problem with the 919

So this has happened a couple of times with the 2002 919. I'm coming to a stop and I'm kicking down through the gears, and right as I stop and try to go to first I noticed the neutral light did not flash like it normally does when I hit first. Then I kick it one more time and it wont go any further, try to come up into neutral and it wont go. Then I have to take off in 2nd.

If I keep kicking I can eventually catch 1st. Anyone know what this could be? Could it be from upshifting not using the clutch? I only use the clutch for 1st to 2nd.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-30-2011, 05:25 AM
STR-III

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 2

How many miles are on the bike? Are you the original owner? Has it been wrecked?

I doubt the clutchless upshifts are the problem. There have been many discussions on here about that.

I find that sometimes when I'm downshifting, especially if I wait until the end of the stop to stomp down 2 or 3 gears with the clutch pulled in that it doesn't like to go any further. (I'm sure this is poor form and don't do it often anymore, but it happens.) If I let the clutch out enough to feel it grab, I can usually pull it back in and shift down without problems.

Press Any Key To Continue.
post #3 of 22 Old 09-30-2011, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
I find that sometimes when I'm downshifting, especially if I wait until the end of the stop to stomp down 2 or 3 gears with the clutch pulled in that it doesn't like to go any further. (I'm sure this is poor form and don't do it often anymore, but it happens.) If I let the clutch out enough to feel it grab, I can usually pull it back in and shift down without problems.
Yeah I wondered if that was it to, forgot to mention it in the post. I have been just clicking through the gears with the clutch in the whole time as I'm stopping.

it has 11k miles, I'm the third owner, never been wrecked.

"A motorcycle is not just a two-wheeled car; the difference between driving a car and climbing onto a motorcycle is the difference between watching TV and actually living your life."
-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED

post #4 of 22 Old 09-30-2011, 05:51 AM
Legal in 50 states

Garage
Occasionally, I have the same problem. It usually happens at a stoplight, for all the world to see. I'll get stuck in neutral or second, unable to force it into first.

I find that if I roll backwards or forwards just a bit with the clutch in, I can usually get it into first with out too much force.

post #5 of 22 Old 09-30-2011, 06:01 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmurphy84 View Post
If I let the clutch out enough to feel it grab, I can usually pull it back in and shift down without problems.
Happens to me on occasion if I wait until stopped to put it in first. I do same as above and it will go right in.

post #6 of 22 Old 09-30-2011, 06:04 AM
Tesserarius

Garage
Yes yes, happens to me as well. And yes yes, doing what above stated works.

Diecut Vinyl Wrist Twisters Decals: http://mkt.com/toasttogo
post #7 of 22 Old 09-30-2011, 06:17 AM
rmb
Let's go!

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 9

+1 to the comments above, I just release the clutch a little real quick and it will go right into gear.

post #8 of 22 Old 09-30-2011, 06:44 AM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
+1 to the comments above, I just release the clutch a little real quick and it will go right into gear.
Yep. Sounds normal to me.

post #9 of 22 Old 09-30-2011, 06:48 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Seems to be a normal deal, it happens more often when I'm "easy" on the shifter, I think the 9er likes to be abused a little and it likes a firm toe on the lever. If you let the clutch lever out a little like everyone says it'll fully engage the gear and allow you to select the next gear, also keep clean oil in it and it'll shift smoother

Dan
post #10 of 22 Old 09-30-2011, 08:01 AM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb View Post
yup thats what i do... ill usually go down two gears at a time when im comming to a stop.

but if i find myself at a stop light in the upper gears. click click, slip clutch, click click, slip clutch, click click.... will go right down through the gears.... but without slipping the clutch you can line everything up so it can ever go into the next lower gear and thusly reset the shift mechanism to grab another lower gear.

post #11 of 22 Old 09-30-2011, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Hastatus Prior

Thanks a lot guys, I'll start doing this from now on.

-2005 CBR 600 F4i
-2001 RC51 ** SOLD
-2002 VFR 800**SOLD
-2002 919 **SOLD
-2006 599 ** WRECKED
post #12 of 22 Old 09-30-2011, 11:03 AM
The Cripple

+1 to all these comments. i notice it the most between the 1-2 gears.

post #13 of 22 Old 09-30-2011, 12:01 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucilleBrawl View Post
I find that if I roll backwards or forwards just a bit with the clutch in, I can usually get it into first with out too much force.
Not trying to turn this into an oil thread but when I first bought the bike this happened. I then changed over to mobile 1 and now HP4 it has completely stopped. Also I do clutch-less upshifting. I normally downshift to second gear and then release the clutch. Then I pull it in again and go into first BEFORE I come to a stop. I Started that around the same time. So it could either be this or the oil. Not sure. However when it did happen rocking it would make it easier to get it into first.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #14 of 22 Old 09-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I just have to remember to not be a pansy when shifting between 1st and 2nd, either direction.

As long as I'm committed to follow through on the shift, she's smooth. It's the half attempts that usually fail and end up in 1.5 gear or somewhere in between.

She WANTS it, so GIVE IT to her.

2009 Aprilia Tuono - Ginger
2001 XR650R BRP (Big Red Pig)
2006 Honda 599 - Ex wrecked it :-D
2007 Honda CB900F (sold)
2006 Honda VTX 1300C (sold)
YouTube Channel
post #15 of 22 Old 09-30-2011, 12:17 PM
...is a Nihonjin.

If someone knows the mechanics of a sequential motorcycle transmission, could you school on me on the multiple downshifts? I don't think any bike likes any more than 2 downshifts per clutch disengagement.

In my experience, you also have to be pretty decisive with the multiple downshifts as well (of course, you should always be swift with your shifts anyhow).

post #16 of 22 Old 09-30-2011, 12:34 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 
Total Awards: 2

I never do more than 2 down. Really sounds bad if I try to. As stated if I get caught stopped in high gears, down 2, clutch, down 2.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #17 of 22 Old 09-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Need money for parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyCatcher View Post
I never do more than 2 down. Really sounds bad if I try to. As stated if I get caught stopped in high gears, down 2, clutch, down 2.

+1, my normal counter in my head is 5,4 *clutch out*-*clutch in*3,2 *clutch out, then in* 1. And I leave it in 1 while at a stop for a quick getaway in case the cage dwellers behind me don't see me.

post #18 of 22 Old 09-30-2011, 01:09 PM
The chill Moderator

Awards Showcase
Veteran 
Total Awards: 1

I clutch in and then shift down to RMP sound and feel of speed. Never once had a problem or horrible sounds. Like I said I will take it to second Engage the clutch then disengage and shift to first.

Never Trade the Thrills of Living for the Security of Existence.
post #19 of 22 Old 09-30-2011, 04:31 PM
Milites Gregarius

+1 on above comments. I have noticed this on my 07 919 when I try to shift through all the gears when not moving. I also noticed this on past motorcycles. A little movement forwards or backwards and it will shift properly.

post #20 of 22 Old 09-30-2011, 05:35 PM
Le So Cal Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmoo View Post
If someone knows the mechanics of a sequential motorcycle transmission, could you school on me on the multiple downshifts? I don't think any bike likes any more than 2 downshifts per clutch disengagement.

In my experience, you also have to be pretty decisive with the multiple downshifts as well (of course, you should always be swift with your shifts anyhow).
think of it as a drum with pegs on the end and a hook which grabs those pegs. when you down shift, the hook grabs one of the pegs to spin the drum which in turn moves the shift levers.... if the transmission is stopped and the dog teeth of the gears are not aligned, the drum cant spin far enough to go completly in gear. if this happens the hook cant move to the next peg on the drum to spin the drum further.

often times during one shift multiple gears move as well which further ads to this "problem" ALSO, as you move down in gears the difference in speed as far as rotation of the gears gets larger, which makes it harder for the transmission to match up the dog teeth with respective notches, especially when the transmission isnt moving fast or at all.

post #21 of 22 Old 10-01-2011, 12:05 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

BDG,

You seem to be asking for wisdom in gaining "The Dark Arts of Motorcycling"... or, Riding a motorcycle with grace & style.

As you ride more you will learn better how not to get caught at a stop in a high gear. This will improve the problem you're experiencing. repeat after me: DON'T GET CAUGHT AT A STOP IN A HIGH GEAR!
I'm not laughing at you, or pointing a finger of blame, but this is a Rider Error situation, and will improve with experience.

Learn to downshift in advance...it's even ok to shift down 2 gears at a time, and 919's seem to tolerate this well. I usually downshift 6-4(let clutch out, tap brake) 4-2(let clutch out, tap brake) 2-1..feather the clutch while applying brake and stop. This engine braking helps, too. in upshifting, only go up 1 at a time, but you can sometimes go 2 at a time...experiment with it, and find out when it's ok.

in addition, when you downshift, going down two will put you in a more advantageous rev range in order to execute a maneuver such as passing, or swerving to avoid an idiot cager on a cell phone, or just taking that corner while riding through the twisties.

ok, now if you do happen to get so caught, just move the bike a foot or two forward or backward in order to get the tranny unstuck like others have mentioned, then you're golden! If you teach yourself to do this when you first stop, you will avoid the embarrassment of trying to ride away while lugging the engine in 4th gear or whatever.

You are still on the steep end of the learning curve, but things are getting better already, right? keep your wits about you, Good luck and ride safe!

Well, fire the engines! Spur this iron space-pony on!

"The Shadow"
post #22 of 22 Old 10-01-2011, 03:45 PM
no max no more

anyone who idles there bike while rolling to a stop and is down shifting is going to have problems like that....blip that sucker and let the motor supply some stopping power

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode