Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

Does the "919 stank" apply to cat bikes?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  KarlJay 
#1 ·
Most of us have heard about the 919 stink. The exhaust smell that comes back up and gets to the rider. I've had a CA 919 for a number of years and it's been my only transportation for a few years now.

I have never noticed the exhaust stink. Someone called about the bike and bashed it over the stink, I said I never noticed it and don't know if it's a non-California thing because CA has a cat.

Does the cat take care of the stink?

What years, model have the cat? I'm guessing the 919 has a CA vs non-CA model, and I was under the impression that the center stand was removed because of the cat.

Am I wrong?

#3 ·
Well I found this:

The Honda 919 / Hornet CB900F Website » Honda 919 / CB900F FAQ & Answers (Page 1)

They suggest that the cat has been used to address this, but it doesn't say if it actually helped.

Can anything be done to lessen the smell exhaust smell of my Honda 919?
Yes, several options exist.
Folks have tried lower bars, mini-fairings, slip-ons, ECU Map mods via a PC3, slip-ons, exhaust end cap extensions, single-sided low exit exhaust conversions and Honda U.K. even performed an ECU mod and CAT addition for one Hornet customer.
Not all owners experience this issue.
The ECU / CAT mod was reported to work very well. The conversion to the single sided low exit exhaust also has been reported to eliminate the issue. End cap extensions help to some degree as does a PC3 map that’s been leaned out from the factory rich map.
It only makes sense that it would do something, it's a part of a exhaust that "scrubs it" pretty clean and it seem the smell has to do with how rich it runs.

Just wondering if any CA owners actually have the smell problem.

I for one don't have any problem at all, never even noticed it.

#5 ·
The 919 cat's are in the y pipe in the large OD section that passes up through the swing arm.
The low hanging can on CA bikes is a carbon canister re fuel tank vapour collection.
IF one has a 919 that's a stinker, one notices it because of the very strong low pressure zone right where the stock or slip on cans exhaust to. The exhaust gas just churns in that zone, so if the exhaust gas has a smell, it can't be missed, because it's trapped there while it diffuses into the surrounding higher pressure zones. Bike aerodynamics are very funky, upright unfaired particularly so. Low mount conversions are a help because they don't exhaust to the strong low pressure zone. I think that certain fuel constituents are the primary problem, as aggravated by the mapping. I think the stink is from partially and/or uncombusted certain fuel elements, suspect that PAIR removal would aggravate it, and expect that a cat' would help to some extent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.