Do you perform your own motorcyle services? - Wrist Twisters
View Poll Results: Do you perform your own motorcycle services?
Yes, I have cut knuckles and swear often. 161 94.15%
No, I take my bike to a dealer or service shop. 10 5.85%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 87 Old 08-25-2008, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

Do you perform your own motorcyle services?

I am curious how many people perform there own services and how many take their bikes to the dealer. If you do take it to the dealer, how long does it take to get your bike back? By services I mean Oil/filter, brakes, air filter, chains and sprockets. Do you go to a dealer or non-franchise service shop? Those that go to the dealer, would you consider a private service shop? I am exploring some new business ideas and need some numbers. Thanks guys and gals.

Motorusher formally known as DirtySanchez919.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 12:45 AM
The Guy passing you...

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation BOTM Donation 
Total Awards: 5

Do all my own work short of SuperSport racebike motor builds and suspension rebuilds. Everything else is my blood sweat and tears!

-Dave

"I live my life in a confused haze only to be interrupted by moments of brilliance..."

post #3 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 03:55 AM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 4

I do all of my own work.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike

post #4 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 04:01 AM
Site Founder

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Trackday Recognition Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 6

I do all my own also unless it's a warranty issue big enough to go through the hassle of dropping off an picking up.

post #5 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 05:16 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

For me, it depends on the work that needs to be done. if it's warranty work, it goes to the dealer. If it's simple stuff like oil changes, cable lube, check torques, etc. I do it. If it's valve inspection / adjustment, it goes to the dealer. It it's going to take me more than 3 hours and/or if I do not have the proper tools to do the job, it goes to the dealer. If there was a private service shop in my area with a good reputation, I would go there in a heartbeat. In fact, I might do less work if there was a good shop nearby.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #6 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 05:17 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 
Total Awards: 2

If you can't do it yourself, you shouldn't be riding it! Just my opinion though!

except for warranty work of course!

post #7 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 05:23 AM
Ken
Community Admin

Awards Showcase
Extraordinary Ride Donation Extraordinary Ride Donation 

That's one way to look at it, Ripper. Then again, for some, time is more precious than $65/hour. Safety and lack of experience is another reason that some would prefer to let the experts do the work.

2009 Honda Goldwing
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #8 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 05:36 AM
Primus Pilus

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation 

Thats just me, I've always done my own labor. I enjoy going out to the garage for upgrades to the toys and or service that needs done. Guess I'm just wired different than most. Don't get me wrong, I have done exactly what you just described and taken my autos in for a Detail or Repair, only because it wasn't worth the time to do myself.

What I meant by that statement was, I feel that one should have the knowledge to repair or maintain ones own equipment. Not that they should do it them selves, but the ability should be there.

post #9 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 05:47 AM
Sheepdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Safety and lack of experience is another reason that some would prefer to let the experts do the work.
Safety and lack of experience is exactly why I do all my own work! I refuse to trust my life to someone I don't know, and probably doesn't know crap about what he is doing, and is maybe making $10 an hour out of that $65 the shop is ripping you off for. As far as warranty work, that's why I only ride Hondas, there is no warranty work. If by some far-out chance that I was to need something fixed under warranty, I refuse to ride the bike until I've been able to check their work and make sure it isn't going to kill me.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away! Support Concealed Carry & the Right to Keep and Bear Arms!
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams
post #10 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 07:24 AM
I am BATMAN!!!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Restoration Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

I mostly handle anything that doesnt require any specialty tools, machining or welding.

"He was a wise man who invented Beer"--Plato
post #11 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 07:33 AM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

as of 7000 miles, I'm 50/50. Oil filter chain, I can do. Tire swaps, no.

post #12 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Cornicen

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

I check the Wrist Twisters site first, and if it looks like I can do it go for it. Anything that requires big tools that I don't want to invest in I go to the shop begrudgingly. So far Wt is batting 100%

There's your plan and then there's God's plan.........
Your's doesn't matter.
post #13 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 08:54 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

I do as much as I can at home, tires I farm out to one of the guys here at work (he has a Harley repair business on the side) so far none of my Honda's have needed much in the way of repair work.
I also do all my own stunts

Dan

post #14 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Ben

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

I'll do anything but motor work, but I might give that a try sometime too

2 > 4
post #15 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 09:04 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

I knew I was on my own when in '91 I took my 7 yr old Turbo to the dealer & the mechanic said "Wow! I've never seen one of those."

post #16 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 09:07 AM

always done all my own work...dealers are way to expensive!

post #17 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 09:10 AM

I do as much work as I can at home. I don't care to trust or pay the shops and the shops here take way too long to get anything done. When I totaled my 9er it took them almost a month just to get around to the estimate.

post #18 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 09:13 AM
Tribuni Angusticlavii

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Donation 

the shops are alright for some stuff.
when I buy tires online, i pull the wheels off & take them to the shop for mount/balance.

post #19 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 09:20 AM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

I do oil changes and minor stuff like that. I will probably do brake lines once I get around to ordering them. I would never even think about doing tires or anything in the motor. Dealerships have trained mechanics who do it all the time and do it safely.

Coming from the other end of the spectrum from you "do it all myself" guys, I gotta say, where do you find the time to learn how to do all that stuff? Do you do your own valve jobs? transmission work? radiator repair? I would never expect anyone to know how to do that in order to ride their bike. I know if my bike blows a head gasket it's goin to the shop.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #20 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 09:20 AM
Imaginifer

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

I am starting to do more and more of my own stuff on the bike. Have always took care of everything on my diesel truck so it just makes sense to work on the bike as well. Also a good excuse to buy more tools.. I just use the "but honey it would cost a lot more than this to take it to the shop"

post #21 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Discen

I used to could.

Now I live downtown and don't have my own garage. Its verboten to do any work on our vehicles in the shared parking garage.

post #22 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Tirone is my middle name

Awards Showcase
Donation 

I do as much as I possibly can do myself. I worked at a garage doing minor stuff and driving tow truck while going to school and a few years back I got sick of even working on my own cars so I pretty much stopped. I still don't feel like working on cars at all but I am having fun working on the bike when I need to. I've been learning as I go and so far I haven't screwed anything up yet.

post #23 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Wookie

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Where is the vote option for, "It's a Honda"

'02 RC-51
'10 Unicycle

post #24 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Cat Herder

Garage

Awards Showcase
Veteran Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
Where is the vote option for, "It's a Honda"

+1

I could say "I do all my own work", but having 3 out of 5 bikes being Hondas, that would amount to changing the oil. I had a Yamahahaha Warrior for about a year and it was recalled a couple times and got a flat once. All shop work. In the year I had it, it cost me more than my 3 previous bikes total over the course of 16 years. Hence, I am back on a Honda

82 Suzuki GS550L - 3 months
no work

85 Honda Nighthawk S - 11years

fork seal replaced while I was in the Army - shop
tires - shop
batteries and oil - me

99 CBR600F4 - 7 years
oil - me
tires - shop

05 Yamaha Warrior - 1 year
TPS recall - shop
some other sensor recall - shop
flat tire - shop
new pipes - tried myself but yamaha performance pipe is horsesh!t and didn't line up - shop finished my last bolt that I couldn't get.

07 919 - 1 year and counting

Plastic surgery to remove frozen grin - shop

I plan on doing pipes, undertail, brake lines and handlebar myself.

2015 Ducati Monster 1200S

"Anyone who says money can't buy you happiness has obviously never used money to buy a Ducati motorcycle."
post #25 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 01:52 PM
NC Sasquatch

Awards Showcase
Trackday Recognition Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evad101 View Post
Do all my own work short of SuperSport racebike motor builds and suspension rebuilds. Everything else is my blood sweat and tears!
What he said. +1

post #26 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 02:55 PM
(oYo)

Awards Showcase
Veteran 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
as of 7000 miles, I'm 50/50. Oil filter chain, I can do. Tire swaps, no.

Now you do... I've got the tools; just bring beer.

post #27 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 04:04 PM
BrokeRecord

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Donation 

I started doing it myself about 1962 when I'd clean and gap plugs, take off the air cleaner and mufflers for a fun night on the streets, with my mom's nailhead Buick, and then put it back together before going home. When I got out on my own making $1.35 an hour, I couldn't pay anyone or buy new parts, so I started roaming the wrecker yards. As I got older and made more $$, I started visiting Sears every payday. Now, I have car, bicycle, bike, outboard , wood working, and metal tools.
I just find it a challenge to do my own.

[
post #28 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 04:46 PM
9-5-4, 9-2-9, means 9-1-9

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran 

I do most of my own when I can. Although I will take it to the dealer for valve clearance check though.

2005 Honda 919
If you bite the hand that feeds you, it won't taste as good as the food you were fed.
PGR #120827

Xbox Live: Nine19CnynCrvr / www.facebook.com/bdong625
post #29 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerecord View Post
I started doing it myself about 1962 when I'd clean and gap plugs, take off the air cleaner and mufflers for a fun night on the streets, with my mom's nailhead Buick, and then put it back together before going home.
This brings back a very clear memory of my father who passed away several years ago. He always drove Caddies. This was back in the day of the big 472 motors. This one was a '76 I think. I'd take his car out on a date on the weekends, and a few miles from home I'd flip the breather over. When you floored it the motor would have this nice deep tone to it. I always remembered to flip it back over before I got home.

Almost always.

One weekend after me having the car last the parents and I went out to eat. I'm setting in the back, mom and dad up front, and dad decides he is going to pass a guy on a blacktop two lane. Floors it, motor bellows out the sweet sound of a flipped breather, and my dad just turns and looks at me in the backseat. My mom, who to this day is naive as can be, says "Something wrong with the car honey?"

Back to the maintenance poll.

"Towards the end of the vid, it looks like she may have had a bafflectomy." - MarylandMike
post #30 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Cornicen

That is a great story Jim. I love it.

Well it appears that the cast of regulars on here are just as I thought, very handy and self sufficient. I wonder if that is the case with most riders or just the select ones on WT? Is there a growing trend of new rider that don't wrench?

post #31 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 05:26 PM
Fool in the Rain

Garage

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalchoppers View Post
Is there a growing trend of new rider that don't wrench?
I think so. Not as many gearheads as there used to be. Still a lot of bolt on guys though. Maybe moreso.

Instant oil change and tires r us is the American way now. Cars last longer now without the attention they used to need, so I think that may play over to the bike industry somewhat. Maybe it's better people move on to using their time to make money instead of saving it, but I'll always be a mechanic at heart.

post #32 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 05:44 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 

Had the bike a year and 12K miles...I took it in for the 600 mi service..paid almost $200 (what a ripoff)...bike hasnt been in since. I have done all regular maintenance and mods myself using the service manual and Wristwisters Search...figured out how to change a tire from youtube vids...a lil sweat but alot of satisfaction in learning to do it.

Thanks to everyone here for the great info!

post #33 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 05:46 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

only thing I haven't done so far is the tire changes. did spark plugs oil change clutch and brake cables ect. I don't plan to do my valve maint. but have considered it.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #34 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Il bambino e un cani

Awards Showcase
Donation Donation Veteran Donation 

Had an oldtimer tell me a long time ago, before I'd done much work on bikes. Don't be afraid of doing it yourself, even if you haven't done it before, in most cases because it's your bike you will still do a better job than a guy in a shop that's just doing it for money. (read dealership, I know some competent private shops).
JohnnyB

post #35 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Shoot to stop

I'm new here but not to turning a wrench. I'm no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but given enough time, research and foul language I can normally figure out what's wrong with something. Hope to not have to do much wrenching on the 919 except for mods but I spent the first month I had my 99 Nighthawk 750 trying to get the carbs sorted. I wasn't used to doing multiple carbs and I wasn't using the right stuff to get them clean enough. Once I got it figured out it purred like a kitten up to the point that I dumped it.

When I got my first car (81 Mustang, straight six, in 1991) I could barely afford to get the car, let alone actually have someone else work on anything that went wrong on it. I got very good at replacing alternators one weekend (3 alternators in 2 days, only one place in town that I could get one at the time). With my 94 Chevy Cavalier I got really good at replacing starters (known weak point in them, replaced it 4 times in the time that I owned it and the guy I sold it to replaced it twice before he got rid of it).

While I enjoy working on things in the past it's all been out of necessity so I could get to work the next day. Now I try to keep my truck new enough to have most things covered under warranty. If something goes wrong on the bike, I'm not stressed while working on it as it's not my sole means of transportation.

2003 Honda 919 - flapper mod, Clear Alternatives Smoke Tailight w/ integral turn signals, Stebel Nautilus air horn, DIY fender eliminator, LED license plate bolts, LED front turn signals, no resistor or new flasher so I blink like crazy.
post #36 of 87 Old 08-26-2008, 10:40 PM
Duckin' for cover..

Awards Showcase
Donation 

Will do most everything myself. Tires get taken in with the rims removed from the bike.
My cousin bought an FZ600 as a bike in a box one time, and we had a blast putting it together. The guy he bought it from had a bunch of aftermarket parts mixed in, so we just spread everything out on the garage floor, and started building, with no manual. Luckily we found some exploded views for some of the areas where parts could go either way, but definitely function better one way. What a kick!

post #37 of 87 Old 08-27-2008, 07:33 AM
"Whose ABBA ZABBA?"

I do some of it, just very little motor work anymore. I don't want to pull cams.

“In my opinion, the M1 rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised.”
General George S. Patton
post #38 of 87 Old 08-27-2008, 09:37 AM

Awards Showcase
Veteran Extraordinary Ride 

I haven't had a problem with my 919 so everything I've done has been limited to plugs, oil, air/oil filter and tires (I've taken the wheels to the shop once for a flat rear). The KLR is a different story but the maintenance has been relatively routine. I like to think that if there is any mechanical problem I could take care of it.*

* May require the use of a friend/his tools and some beer and does not always apply to electrical or hardware/software problems

post #39 of 87 Old 08-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Tribunus Laticlavius

The only thing I've had to do to the 9er is chain adjustments, oil changes and now tires. been pretty bulletproof.

Dan

post #40 of 87 Old 08-27-2008, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Cornicen

That's a very functional idea VOODOO. That looks easier than the rafters.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode