Do you hone plated cylindrers? - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By K1w1Boy

post #1 of 7 Old 10-03-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Centurion

Do you hone plated cylindrers?

I am rebuilding a 2003 YZ125. The bike shows extremely little use internally. The bike sat in a barn for years & mice built a nest in the air box. Eventually mouse pee destroyed the carburetor--actually dissolved the aluminum--& also found its way down to the reed block, crank, & bearings & ruined those too. I think the cases are OK, need to clean them up. The cylinder looks great (case reed so untouched by pee). There is very little riding time on this bike. The cylinder, piston, & clutch basket basically look new. Still nice original cross hatch on the cylinder. Since I am putting in a whole new crank, going to do the top end too. What do I do to prep the cylinder for the new piston & ring? Anything? I have flex ball honed cast iron 4 strokes before but unsure of what is best not only for the plating but don't want to bust only porting either. Half the internet says ball hone it. Half says the world will end if you ball hone it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-04-2018, 02:19 AM
Left of Centre

If it's a genuine nikasil-type plating, then I definitely wouldn't hone it, I'd just fit the new parts and break them in for a while before running wide open.
mcromo44 and Superdog like this.

post #3 of 7 Old 10-04-2018, 07:03 AM
GLG-20

Garage
+1, especially since the hatching still looks good. If there was carbon buildup or piston material on the walls, I would consider a light hone using an adjustable cylinder hone. As you mentioned, I think a ball hone would be a bad tool to use in this case.

I'm no expert, just my opinion.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R

post #4 of 7 Old 10-04-2018, 09:15 AM
GLG-20

Garage
Maybe I should have used the word 'deglaze' instead of 'hone'?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

'96 DR650, '01 SV650, '10 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
post #5 of 7 Old 10-04-2018, 08:17 PM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1w1Boy View Post
If it's a genuine nikasil-type plating, then I definitely wouldn't hone it, I'd just fit the new parts and break them in for a while before running wide open.
Back in the day, as long as the Nikasil was not chipped, one simply reringed.
On two strokes, a bad seizure would means scraping out the aluminum, and using acid to eat out any aluminum in the root of cross hatch.
Muriatic acid, as in = 10 % hydrochloric acid, being my recollection.
Normal hones will not work, as one needs a special diamond like hone in the hands of a pro, seeing as Nikasil is essentially nickel with silicon carbide.

post #6 of 7 Old 10-05-2018, 09:21 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcromo44 View Post
Back in the day, as long as the Nikasil was not chipped, one simply reringed.
On two strokes, a bad seizure would means scraping out the aluminum, and using acid to eat out any aluminum in the root of cross hatch.
Muriatic acid, as in = 10 % hydrochloric acid, being my recollection.
Normal hones will not work, as one needs a special diamond like hone in the hands of a pro, seeing as Nikasil is essentially nickel with silicon carbide.
Re the Nikasil not being chipped.
That comment pertains to the ring sweep zone.
While less than "textbook", a chip, technically a breakout from a previous bad "stick", could be tolerated as long it was not seeing the rings.

post #7 of 7 Old 10-05-2018, 09:23 AM
McTavish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce919er View Post
I am rebuilding a 2003 YZ125. The bike shows extremely little use internally. The bike sat in a barn for years & mice built a nest in the air box. Eventually mouse pee destroyed the carburetor--actually dissolved the aluminum--& also found its way down to the reed block, crank, & bearings & ruined those too. I think the cases are OK, need to clean them up. The cylinder looks great (case reed so untouched by pee). There is very little riding time on this bike. The cylinder, piston, & clutch basket basically look new. Still nice original cross hatch on the cylinder. Since I am putting in a whole new crank, going to do the top end too. What do I do to prep the cylinder for the new piston & ring? Anything? I have flex ball honed cast iron 4 strokes before but unsure of what is best not only for the plating but don't want to bust only porting either. Half the internet says ball hone it. Half says the world will end if you ball hone it.
Quite a bit of what appears to be multiple vertical markings visible in the picture.
Most odd for a low hours engine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode