DIY side case frame/carrier for luggage. Help/Suggestions needed. - Wrist Twisters
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By KarlJay

post #1 of 10 Old 03-04-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

DIY side case frame/carrier for luggage. Help/Suggestions needed.

I really wanted hard cases for the bike and after looking at marylandmike's bike, I figured i'll try to make one. With limited tools and know-how, this is my best solution. I'm only going to mount a small side case just like mike's design, so at most i'm only going to carry around 7lbs maximum. Let me know what you think or how I can go about improving this design.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-04-2019, 08:48 PM
Pilus Posterior

I did pretty much the same approach as you. You might want to add a cross bar from side bag to side bag that goes just above the rear fender.

Imagine a bar connecting the two bags from below the tail and above the fender at about the mid point of the bags. This adds quite a bit of support.

IDK if you actually need it or not with 7lbs max.

I have soft bags and they tend to fold inward, so a cross bar would help quite a bit.

If I carry anything heavy, I just use a strap over the seat. Imagine putting to cans of paint (or anything heavy) strapped together so that the weight is on the seat and they just hang inside the bags without any real weight on the bags because of the cross strap going over the seat.

I would LOVE to see some fold down, expandable hard cases. I wouldn't mind making a set myself.

Have you considered molding these out of fiberglass?

Someone use a 3D printer to make a fixed mount that you added the cases to. Kind of a universal quick mount where the base stayed on the bike and you unlocked the cases and carried them with you.

post #3 of 10 Old 03-05-2019, 10:03 AM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Looks pretty good! I agree with Karl, try to put some cross bracing between the bags. It will keep them from bouncing and trying folding inward. On mine, used a cross brace. Looks like most of you components are steel. I would avoid using aluminum as it will break easier under fatigue. Nice job so far.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-05-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Thanks guys, here's an update. Luckily, all of the important (weight bearing) pieces are steel, only the rectangular frame is made of aluminum so hopefully it will hold up.

About the brace, because of the exhaust pipes, I think I can just barely squeeze one (1) brace between the bags and that's at the very end of the exhaust. Any suggestions?

post #5 of 10 Old 03-05-2019, 01:12 PM
Tirone Choolaces

Garage

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Donation Donation 
Total Awards: 3

That is looking great!

post #6 of 10 Old 03-05-2019, 02:35 PM
Pilus Posterior

The cross brace does not have to be straight, you can make a "mustache bar" like you find on many cars. The important thing is that you transfer weight (load) from bending/flexing the top brace, into something that rigid. If you make kind of a curve you should be able to reach the base of each side.

Then just balance the load and you'll greatly reduce the bending of the top brackets.

One other tip... A fat oring will also help to reduce the wear, putting one on each side of each connection point will help to reduce metal wear.

post #7 of 10 Old 03-10-2019, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Tirone

Here's an update, I got the brace underneath the bike and it seems to make it pretty solid. However, I was thinking about adding additional brace to make it pretty much rock solid. Ideas?

It's either:

1. A straight bar going across both bags

2. straight bars going from foot-rest to behind the box.

post #8 of 10 Old 03-10-2019, 11:01 AM
Pilus Posterior

The purpose of the cross bar is to make a box. If you look at the stress that's on the brackets as the bike bounces, the brackets would flex, crack and fail. So the cross brace under the seat makes a box so that the brackets don't flex. Going down or above isn't the same, you still wouldn't have made a box.

Imagine if you were holding these bags and bouncing. Now put a cross brace between them at the lowest point you can... it makes it more of a single solid unit.

The best place for a cross bar is in the middle of the of the luggage (front to back) and about 2/3 to the bottom. That should put it between the fender and the frame.

This shows one at the rear, it would be better at the center, but they have a support at the lower front. Notice how it's bent to clear things, a simple bent pipe would do the job, you just need to make a solid connection from the lower parts of each side.

https://touratech-usa.com/Store/Zega...l-Water-Cooled

Given how small those are, you really don't need much support. You can get away without one, but just watch the brackets over the years. Adding fat orings to reduce fatigue can really help to make it last, but those are really small so you don't have a lot of stress.

post #9 of 10 Old 03-10-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Tirone

I forgot to add that i did add a brace underneath the exhaust.

post #10 of 10 Old 03-10-2019, 11:18 PM
Pilus Posterior

Looks like I really didn't read your post, you did mention the cross brace and I didn't see it.

Just wondering, how do you dismount these and where did you get the cases?

I have soft side bags on mine and they load from the top, I'm not sure how you load the side opening cases.

Overall looks great.

[EDIT] I see where they are bolted on, so not exactly made to be quickly removed. Given the size and weight, I think you've got it all covered.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode