DIY H11 to H9 bulb ... 599 headlight upgrade - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 33 Old 04-17-2013, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Ian

DIY H11 to H9 bulb ... 599 headlight upgrade

So I know there are more then a few of us on here with the 599 headlight installed on the 919. I was lurking around some subaru site's a few weeks back looking for some foglight info for my new Legacy daily driver. I stumbled across this info and decided to apply it to my 599 headlight.

H11 to H9 conversion. DIY with temps - NASIOC
H11 to H9 headlight mod - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

The H9 bulb can easily be modded to fit into a H11 housing and connector, the H9 provides better improved light output. The DIY mod will allow you to run a H9 bulb in a H11 housing, mainly the 599 headlight housing.

Tools and Materials

- small narrow needle nose pliers
- small pick
- Utility knife
- Phillips screw driver
- propane torch (optional)
- small fine cut file or popsicle stick and fine sand paper
- latex gloves
- Old towel or piece of foam
- A set of H9 bulbs ( i used 65W Osram Sylvania bulbs)

Ebay bulb link...
2X OSRAM Sylvania 65W 12V H9 PGJ19 5 Halogen Lamp 64213 Made in Germany | eBay

DIY BULB MOD

Step #1. - Remove the 599 housing from the bucket, mark the high and connectors so you don't mix them up on reinstall.

Step #2. - Lay the bucket glass down on your towel/foam and remove the H11 bulbs from the housing. Wear your gloves and never touch the bulbs glass with your bare fingers, oils can ruin and shorten bulb life.

Step #3. - Compare the two bulb connectors & note the difference.

Stock H11 bulb connector. Has a single vertical ridge between the two connection terminals.

The H9 bulb connector has two ridges between the connection terminals. This second ridge is what needs to be removed to make it plug and play.

Step #4. -The H9's one extra vertical ridge in the center is what needs to be removed. On mine it was the shorter blade, make sure you remove the right one. Just double check against your H11 and mark it, so you don't ruin your new light bulbs.

Step #5. I used the small needle nose pliers to crack off part of the ridge, I then heated my utility knife tip with the torch and sliced off the remaining. Next I then used a small file to carefully clean up the connector surface, and used the pick to pull out any chunks and debris. Blow it out with compressed air or contact cleaner. Test fit it on your headlight harness connector and if it seats fully and securely you are done, just do teh smae process to your second bulb.

Modded H9 bulb before clean up.

Step #6. Install your new modded H9 bulbs into your 599 housing. The three outer locking posts are a touch different and may also need to be trimmed, on mine they just snapped in after a couple attempts and adjustments.

Step #7.Hook up your connectors and reinstall back the housing back into the bucket.

I will hopefully have some before and after pics later on tonight, depending on the weather. From first glance it seems brighter and from all the other H11-H9 info out there it should be close to the same noticeable improvement.

And yes I didn't wear gloves. Haha.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 04-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Optio

Garage
I still haven't got mine installed so don't be giving me other idea's on how to modify it!!

2016 Honda Africa Twin
2007 Honda 919
1998 Kawi ZX9R (Sold)
post #3 of 33 Old 04-17-2013, 02:01 PM
The Cripple

Score! Totally doing this! Thanks for the great info. It won't be HID quality but hopefully it'll hold me over until I can do a proper HID retrofit. Don't get me wrong, the 599 headlight is a vast improvement over the stock 919 unit but more is always nice as long as it's done properly.

post #4 of 33 Old 04-17-2013, 02:24 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Wouldn't it be just as easy to modify the harness plug by cutting the slot down the center of the plug all the way through?

Dan
post #5 of 33 Old 04-17-2013, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Ian

The harness connector is a brittle ceramic/plastic. It will crack if you mod it, and without the support between the two pins it will probably crack off inside the bulb.

post #6 of 33 Old 04-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

Gotcha

Dan
post #7 of 33 Old 04-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Cornicen

bulbs

the thought of going back inside that bucket makes my hemorrhoids flare up.
i thought the h11's were ultra, oh well it's dremmel and ointment time, least i know the beaver relays are ultra.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 035.jpg (222.4 KB, 23 views)

post #8 of 33 Old 04-17-2013, 03:46 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 17

Yeap, did the same mod. H9 bulbs are nice. However, I decided to go ahead and replace the actual connector with H9. $4 for both. This way you won't have to mod your bulbs every time they need a replacement ( 3 years on Hella bulbs and didn't need to replace one yet though)

https://www.wristtwisters.com/forums/...ion-24006.html

post #9 of 33 Old 04-17-2013, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Ian

Good idea. See how long these bulbs last, and I might just order the connectors next time with some new bulbs.

post #10 of 33 Old 04-17-2013, 04:30 PM
The Cripple

Interesting Zaq, I did not know that you used the H9 connections in the 599 unit. Do the H9 connections attach to the 599 unit without issue or did you have to modify how the H9 sockets attach compared to the H11?

post #11 of 33 Old 04-17-2013, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Ian

Those connectors snap onto the back of the bulb, then the bulb attaches to the housing. So basically cut off your existing connectors and splice these on in there place.

My H9 bulbs snapped into the housing with no problems.

post #12 of 33 Old 04-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Tribunus Laticlavius

I need to track down a 599 headlight

Dan
post #13 of 33 Old 04-17-2013, 06:56 PM
`

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliMech View Post
Those connectors snap onto the back of the bulb, then the bulb attaches to the housing. So basically cut off your existing connectors and splice these on in there place.

My H9 bulbs snapped into the housing with no problems.
what he said except splicing. Use crimping tool and crimp new connector terminals to stock wiring (see above pic of crimps that come with connectors).
H9 bulbs will fit into H11 housing as they have the same footprint. Inside of H9 bulb socket is a little different for direct fit of H11 harness hence modifications as described by Heli or H9 housing swap.

post #14 of 33 Old 04-17-2013, 08:35 PM
The Cripple

Ok, sorry I'm confused. I'm having a hard time visualizing this.

Zaq, you're saying the connectors in post #8 is what allows you to use h9 bulbs in h11 sockets? Or do you remove the h11 sockets completely and use h9 sockets?

post #15 of 33 Old 04-17-2013, 10:13 PM
"CERTIFIABLE"

Garage

Awards Showcase
Motorcycle Picture Game Award Extraordinary Ride Extraordinary Ride 
Total Awards: 3

Nice work guys. I love to mod things and I had planned a HID conversion someday but Oldman showed up the other day with a PIAA 15214 - H4 Xtreme White Plus headlight that was very impressive. It's plug 'n play too so I ordered on on ebay for $34. This plus my converted to HID 6" PIAA driving beams will be all the light I will need.
post #16 of 33 Old 04-18-2013, 04:12 AM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvster View Post
Ok, sorry I'm confused. I'm having a hard time visualizing this.

Zaq, you're saying the connectors in post #8 is what allows you to use h9 bulbs in h11 sockets? Or do you remove the h11 sockets completely and use h9 sockets?
Socket in the headlight is just a hole basically, H9 or H11 bulbs both can fit into that hole. However BULB sockets are different.

Attachment 25143

post #17 of 33 Old 04-18-2013, 08:02 AM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 12

The H11 -> H9 conversion is really a lot less complicated than this entire thread suggests. I'm running H9 bulbs in my 599 headlight housing and the modifications are simple. No modification is required to the 599 headlight housing. Everything comes down the the metal mounts on the bulb and the H9/H11 connector to the wiring harness.

1. The H9 bulb will not fit directly into the 599 headlight housing. Use a metal file to shave off a couple of millimeters on one of the bulb mounting tabs and it goes in.

2. The H9 and H11 connectors are almost identical. Use a dremel to cut a slot directly in the center of the connector and now you have a connector that works for both H9 and H11 bulbs.

Easy.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #18 of 33 Old 04-18-2013, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Ian

Pretty sure no one mentiined modding the 599 housing & on my H9 bulbs they fit with out any mods to the metal ears. (Although it may be required on different bulbs)

Anyway I dont think any of this is to complex, if you cant wrap your head around the way its outlined in the first post u should probably not be working on your bike in the first place. I broke it down the best I could to make it easy for even beginners.

BTW I dont own or use a dremel, I dont do arts and crafts.

post #19 of 33 Old 04-18-2013, 11:01 AM
`

Awards Showcase

See what you started with your questions PVster?

post #20 of 33 Old 04-18-2013, 11:46 AM
The Cripple

Quote:
Anyway I dont think any of this is to complex, if you cant wrap your head around the way its outlined in the first post u should probably not be working on your bike in the first place. I broke it down the best I could to make it easy for even beginners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123 View Post
See what you started with your questions PVster?

I'm just a visual person, and the various accounts of information was confusing, making it harder to visualize what exactly goes on. Simply a communication issue on both ends.

I think I got it now, thanks.

post #21 of 33 Old 04-18-2013, 12:17 PM
Tirone?

Garage

Awards Showcase
Total Awards: 12

Quote:
Pretty sure no one mentiined modding the 599 housing & on my H9 bulbs they fit with out any mods to the metal ears. (Although it may be required on different bulbs)

BTW I dont own or use a dremel, I dont do arts and crafts.
Chill dude. Not everyone breaks out the propane torch and hot knives just to make a headlight bulb work. I think the option of just replacing the connection to the harness has already been identified and would save repeated work in a small space if the bulbs needed to be replaced. If you don't want to buy a new harness and since dremels aren't manly enough, you could try using your hot knife to make the necessary cut in your existing H11 plug.

I used Sylvania bulbs in my 599 housing. They didn't fit without some filing. In your case, looks like it worked out fine.

Don't do this mod PV! H9 bulbs don't have the coating on the tip which means GLARE!!!!

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2001 Honda Blackbird
2007 Honda 919

49/50 visited on two wheels. 1 more to go!
post #22 of 33 Old 04-18-2013, 01:08 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
Don't do this mod PV! H9 bulbs don't have the coating on the tip which means GLARE!!!!
What?! But its HID-like, it must have that coating!!!!

post #23 of 33 Old 04-18-2013, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Ian

Rough morning at work, that came off a little harsh.

Anyway I had a reason I didn't want to mod the connector on the harness side. Mine are made of a very brittle hard plastic, and one cracked when trying to install/remove the headlight last season. Plus if I damaged the harness connector I would be without a headlight and no bike until the new replacement connector came in.

I know there is more then one way to finish a task, I just went with what I had found detailed on other sites. Anyway all three way will get you the same results, upgraded H9 lighting in your 599 housing with little effort.

post #24 of 33 Old 04-18-2013, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sckill View Post
Quote:

Oh jesus! Here we go again....

post #25 of 33 Old 04-18-2013, 01:45 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Oh jesus! Here we go again....
Oh great! A Canadian can't tell when its sarcasm

post #26 of 33 Old 04-18-2013, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Ian

Quote:
Oh great! A Canadian can't tell when its sarcasm
I am just having an off day all around. Haha.

post #27 of 33 Old 04-18-2013, 02:51 PM
`

Awards Showcase

Quote:

Mmmmmmm, Xenonzzz.

Attachment 25158

post #28 of 33 Old 07-07-2013, 07:38 AM
Ginger-prick

I plan to use an H11 for my low beam, and H9 for my high beam. I'm just going to order an H9 socket instead of modifying.

Here you go: http://bit.ly/181yIjr
I bought these, it comes with one of each bulb.

2007 Honda 919.
Used to be Red, now it's Green. Open for name suggestions.
post #29 of 33 Old 07-07-2013, 12:20 PM
The Cripple

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatDirtFartDust View Post
I plan to use an H11 for my low beam, and H9 for my high beam. I'm just going to order an H9 socket instead of modifying.

Here you go: http://bit.ly/181yIjr
I bought these, it comes with one of each bulb.
Interesting idea. Why not use the same socket type for both?

post #30 of 33 Old 07-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Ginger-prick

Quote:

Interesting idea. Why not use the same socket type for both?
Just so I don't have to modify the headlight bulb each time. And I haven't put it together yet, so it's easy and cheap just to get the correct socket.

2007 Honda 919.
post #31 of 33 Old 07-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Le So Cal Troll

question... what type of bulb does the STOCK 919 headlight use?

post #32 of 33 Old 07-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Ginger-prick

H4

2007 Honda 919.
post #33 of 33 Old 07-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Le So Cal Troll

ah yes thats right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode