Sportbike Forums on WristTwisters banner

dirty danmoto cans/ exhaust?

2K views 20 replies 3 participants last post by  Islandboy 
#1 · (Edited)
Had the heavy duty VX DID 530 chain and JT sprockets installed today by my trusty grease merchant, who also did his usual extra bits to make the bike feel superb. He mentioned when he had taken it for a test ride he found it a little smokey, is no fan at all of the danmoto cans I have (previous owner's work) and showed me what he meant by the smoke by revving it high when in neutral which spat out some thicker dirtier smoke. Maybe grey to black smoke, which I believe is unburnt fuel?

His advice was to take it out on the freeway and give it a solid blast...

Does this make any sense? So the cans get dirty inside or deeper down? Should I remove and clean...or will a savage blast out of the city clean them as he suggested?

He wasnt concerned, was just a bit of advice...alongside mentioning I needed new rear pads quite urgently. Ordered some sintered pads and will fit next week. Hadnt been able to get the damn bolt off caliper to frame, loosened now enough for me to do the job. And clean the calipers as I have done the front calipers of late.

#2 ·
I've run wide open no baffle cans before and I got bad exhaust smells and a bit of black soot too.
I think these bikes run better with a little back pressure from the exhaust. So more packing and a smaller outlet diameter.
Lots of science behind exhaust pressure waves and gas velocity. Can have an effect on your fuelling.
Perhaps find a set of baffles for your cans.
Remember that intermittent stuttering you were getting? Make sure your FPR isn't on its way out.
Give your bike a good hard long run once in a while. Won't hurt it. Blow out all the cobwebs.

#3 ·
Yes, he did mention the back pressure before..,Maybe I shall grab the baffles and get them in. Worth a try as cheap punt to improve anything slightly.

As for the stuttering issue all evidence points to the PC III. No problems before install, they started directly after install. Its sporadic, can be cured simply by cutting the power sand restarting the engine then its vanished. As for what part of the PC III install, you have given me some guidance to try...ill peek again when the problem returns with any eagerness to stick around.

#4 ·
Yeah that pc111 wire tap connector can cause intermittent cut out if not correct.
I mostly mentioned the FPR since it can cause a rich fuel mix when failing.
All bikes will blow a little smoke when wacking the throttle in neutral. Especially if engine is a little cold.
I don't know how much the actual danmoto baffles are but might be OK just to fit some cheap ones to test. What size is the outlet on the cans?

#5 ·
I have got some from before, comrade! I believe someone on here helped me or on netrider, and said to try them.

It seems these baffle go in the slip on to exhaust section, and are removable...danmoto sell the same thing here>
Removable Baffles for XG-1 [ES-00021] - $29.99 : Danmoto, Motorcycle Racing Parts & Accessories

Question is...how to get the damn cans off? Those silver housing clips seem glued to the bike! Or do I remove them buy taking the seat off?

Will peek later. Have been cleaning my front calipers and scraping the dust from the pad channels and enough bike and mess for one day.

Attachments

#11 ·
OK.
First of all I don't believe you have actual Danmoto baffles there. They look quite different. They might fit but going through that link you posted it seems the baffles are a very tight fit. Is it really worth it to pull all that apart to find it doesn't fit?
Let's say they will fit. That strap stuck to the frame is the exhaust hanger bracket/strap. There is a bolt at the top of the strap holding it to the frame. Maybe 13mm? You might be able to get to it without lifting the seat. There may also be a spacer to keep strap away from frame mount.
Personally I don't like those style of baffle. Before the can. I've always preferred the baffles that go in the outlet.
Got my reasons. One would be ease of fitment and removal.

#14 ·
You could always try a different fuel map or tweek the one your using.
If you have the accel. pump feature enabled maybe turn it off.
Nope, the cheap ones I grabbed off ebay a while back, comrade! The danmoto ones are not that pricy. yet I am unsure what difference the baffles will make. Slight reduction in sound.

What of these eh?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HONDA-C...KEI-2391-MUFFLERS-HONMCZ900-USED/163780204355
Or could ask around...I know of one 919 being broken earlier this year but it had the same danmoto cans.

Its not a major bother. Happy to chuck some gold at it to improve, but not a large haul.

I do use the accell pump feature. Not sure on needing to tweak the map, but also wondering if the clean through cans mitigate the impact of the PC III at all? If if by that stage, exhaust is done, and just a matter of sound is changeable.

#15 ·
OK.
Baffles do change the sound but can have an effect on performance and fueling.
I only suggested the baffles cause it's a cheap easy way of changing things. Perhaps not in your case.
I suggested disabling the acceleration pump cause of the smoke when wacking open the throttle in neutral.
Forget the Stock mufflers, they are heavy and over baffled.
I'd suggest repacking your cans but I believe there is very little packing in the first place. Besides those cheap cans may fall apart if you touch em.
Just take your bike out for a long hard run and don't look back at all the smoke.

#16 ·
Appreciate the words as always, my friend...and the bike was given a good run of late on my trip to Mt Macedon. We were zooming up to 160ish now and then, lots of fun on the country roads.

Your confidence in my danmotos is rather horrifying, but amusing. Suggest repacking but maybe not in case the damn things fall apart!

Maybe move past this idea for now. Though the repacking routine looks fun. Only removing the rivets and re-riveting is something new to me there, but a cheap tool from Bunnings round the corner.

#17 ·
No worries mate.
Glad to hear your bike is getting a good run. Our weather is improving on this side of the planet.
I plan on truly flogging my bike tomorrow. The forecast is for a wind free sunny spring day. Time to push some boundaries.
I did a quick Google search on repacking danmoto cans. Not much came up.

#19 ·
Freezing here tonight, mate!

And as for Zoran the human bear...He mentioned only the same two ideas you gave me - baffles/repacking. Only really came into conversation as he mentioned the last time that they are clean through no baffles and shit, making the PC less valuable, as no maps will be designed for the danmotos, no back pressure he also mentioned.

I gather that his view is that spending a lot on other cans is not going to make any real difference other than to the sound. Maybe some hp but not much if at all noticeable, unless I go for a full system. Which again he doesn't see any need for, as he knows its rugged enough for me to ride quite hard.

I like tinkering, learning new things to try and change! The new chain and sprocket very much does feel more responsive. Still need to get the preload adjusted, need a longer socket to get at them!

Always that delkevic option you mentioned but with fitting (as I cant be trusted to change the Y section myself) the cost is likely to be well over $500 I believe when I last tried to work it out.

Enjoy your ride tomorrow! Hope the weather stays perfect.

#21 ·
As far as exhaust packing goes get whatever packing was used in the first place. It can come in sheets as well as loose wool. The sheets can be different thickness.
Contact Danmoto and ask for their advice. They may even sell you some packing.
Failing that carefully remove the old packing, goodluck! and match that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.