Did first oil change today at 200 miles - Wrist Twisters

post #1 of 13 Old 09-13-2009, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Did first oil change today at 200 miles

Do I win a award for earliest oil change preformed on a 919? I made it to 204 miles (out of 204 total) before changing the oil tonight, I just couldn't stand knowing there was assembly lube and metal floating around in the oil. The oil was pretty dark and there was cream swirls (assembly lube) in the drain pan. I didn't cut the filter apart and inspect it or anything. I installed a Honda filter and regular Honda 10w-40 oil. I plan to go Amsoil but want to get the motor broke in a little first, maybe another 1000+ miles...

Boring story I know

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-13-2009, 10:22 PM
(Quintus) Pilus Prior

way to take care of you bike.

'04 919---40k----6/18/10 SOLD

http://s603.photobucket.com/home/ZookMor/index
post #3 of 13 Old 09-14-2009, 03:28 AM
no max no more

cream swirls ,,,little water maybe

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane

post #4 of 13 Old 09-14-2009, 05:28 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

I don't get it, Honda recommends changing the oil at the first 600 miles for a good reason (and they are very conservative), why do so before that?

Next time, add double the oil so you'll have double the time before the next change...

post #5 of 13 Old 09-14-2009, 06:40 AM
blur

Awards Showcase
Donation 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC90 View Post
I don't get it, Honda recommends changing the oil at the first 600 miles for a good reason (and they are very conservative), why do so before that?

Next time, add double the oil so you'll have double the time before the next change...
maybe wealthy, or ocd either way it won't hurt anything

'04 Honda 919, Candy apple red met., 17/44t sprockets,f-16 windscreen,delkevic ss exhaust,Tharbars,givi engine bars, billet alum. led turns w/ running lights,red adj.levers from china, bar end mirrors,grip heaters,adj. foot peg brackets,adj. bar risers,dunlop Q2(that are better than your pp 2ct,lol)bike wired for gps and phone charger
post #6 of 13 Old 09-14-2009, 07:15 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMiller View Post
Do I win a award for earliest oil change preformed on a 919? I made it to 204 miles (out of 204 total) before changing the oil tonight, I just couldn't stand knowing there was assembly lube and metal floating around in the oil.
It's your dime. You can be as OCD as you want... Of course, you must consider that if Honda (who happens to be a world-class builder of motorcycles) recommended a 600 mile stint, some lube and small metal particles might still be swirling around after 200 miles. That thing hasn't even been warmed up fully yet.

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #7 of 13 Old 09-14-2009, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

If Honda is so world class why would there still be metal floating around?

Assembly lube is for...... Assembling the motor, not running it.

ocd when it comes to maintenance, but my vehicles seem to never go down on me.

post #8 of 13 Old 09-14-2009, 08:33 AM
Praefectus Castrorum

Awards Showcase
Wrist Twisters Event Attendance Extraordinary Ride Donation 
Total Awards: 3

Quote:
If Honda is so world class why would there still be metal floating around?

Assembly lube is for...... Assembling the motor, not running it.

ocd when it comes to maintenance, but my vehicles seem to never go down on me.
Oh, good grief... It's all good. Do what you wish--it's yours! Just be ready to put up with a little banter when you post on the internet that you can't wait 600 miles to change the oil on a brand new engine.

Spoiler:
"The list is an absolute good. The list is life."

"What kind'a tires you runnin'?"

post #9 of 13 Old 09-14-2009, 08:37 AM
Cornicen

Filters

I haven't read the manual, yet...and may not...but, if Honda recommends changing your filter every other time, there's a good reason for it.

Filters get more efficient as they are used, and the measured Insoluables can actually be lower toward the end of the second change than they were at the end of the first change. The only problem of waiting that long is if you're keeping them in for a couple of years at a time, that's not advised as degredation of the filter material can occur due to the acids, etc.

As someone that has done a lot of experimentation with oil and filters, I'm changing the oil sooner than recommended on my motorcycles (due to shearing, but, not on the first oil change...I think I waited until 550 miles), but, leaving the filter in.

In my cars, some of them go three oil change intervals with the same oil filter, and some of them go three times the recommended oil change interval. Only experienced Tribologist's input should be trusted when you start going that far out of the standard recommendations.

post #10 of 13 Old 09-14-2009, 09:21 AM

Awards Showcase
Donation Wrist Twisters Event Attendance 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
If Honda is so world class why would there still be metal floating around?.
Hmmm, perhaps because Honda DID NOT invented metal, only how to best assembled it?

As others have stated, it is your dime and your bike, just don't plan on Getting the smart award for boosting that as an accomplished of anything is all.

post #11 of 13 Old 09-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Imaginifer

Wow,I see this post yesterday and think nothing about a response as I change the oil in anything I buy new at like 75 miles if it has two wheels and within 200 if it has four wheels.
So today I check back and just have to post as many,many people change the oil and filter right out after the first ride.
So why so hostile to someone in the know that knows how to take care of a newly built motor.OCD ? whatever the information is there you just need to see it. one more thing I would rather buy a used bike from the OCD guy but that's just me.

Edit,I know of people that drain the oil coolers to get out all the used oil.Now maybe that's OCD,you decide.What is overkill ?

post #12 of 13 Old 09-14-2009, 09:20 PM
no max no more

i change the filter every change just to get more fresh oil in the motor its short money

dont need a bike to ride the fast lane
post #13 of 13 Old 09-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Cornicen

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
i change the filter every change just to get more fresh oil in the motor its short money
I used to do the same thing. Until too many people showed increased rates of wear with new oil compared to used oil. It seems like the anti-wear agents need some run-time in order to reach full effectiveness.

Still, no need to get too worked up about whether to change it after the first ride or at 600 miles or at 1000, or whether to change the filter every time or not. These engines are pretty bulletproof, for motorcycle engines. More measurable wear is probably done by cold starting the first year, than the difference in wear when comparing all the "best techinques of oil and filter changes" to just following the owner's manual, during the first 100,000 miles.

It is often just OCD, or a lack of study on the subject, and not a superior maintenance regimen (validated by wear metals in Used Oil Analysis, and verified by selected tear-downs and physical measurments of wear), to go to the extremes that many people do regarding the lubrication system schedule.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wrist Twisters forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode